• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ODI Status

sohummisra

U19 Debutant
My head will explode. Stats are amazingly important to the game of cricket, and anything that devalues them is automatically not good for the sport in my opinion.
That's a shame to hear, to be honest. I think incidents that take place on the field that are not recorded by statistics are far more dangerous to the game of cricket than some sort of "contamination of statistics" which can actually easily be sorted out if you take a bit of time (which shouldn't be a problem if you're that serious about cricket). For example, things such as the Oval test, match-fixing, the ICC's (mis-)management of cricket, etc. devalue cricket FAR MORE than any statistics tracking ever can or should.

He isn't at the top if you look at statistics, and hasn't been for at least five years. It's up to you to analyze statistics properly.
You can't just blanket the statement "if you look at the statistics" since there's so many to look at. And who decides what is a proper analysis of the statistics? My opinion differs from yours. A better way to look at it is once you watch cricket you realize Sachin has not been at the top of his or the game for a while, and then you find the statistics to prove your point. Basing arguments on pure statistics is the opposite way to go around it, I feel. Without cricket you wouldn't have the statistics, so I think theories and such should be initiated from the actual game, rather than the statistical output that is produced by it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Very much so. Manan (silentstriker) wasn't, AFAIK, advocating the looking at stats over watching.

You watch, and you look at stats, which, if you use them carefully, tell you the same thing that watching did.

sohummisra

U19 Debutant
Very much so. Manan (silentstriker) wasn't, AFAIK, advocating the looking at stats over watching.

You watch, and you look at stats, which, if you use them carefully, tell you the same thing that watching did.
Yup, but watching > statistics, not >= either. :)