• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Reverse Sweep

1) Do you like the reverse sweep? 2) Have you ever played the reverse sweep

• Total voters

thierry henry

International Coach
why? its completely ineffective in indoor cricket if the fielding team has a "correct" field setting of a point, cover and off guard as opposed to only the leg side and leg guard. You'd be better off playing a proper shot
I disagree. The essence of batting in indoor is to be able to get the ball square consistently. If a bowler is bowling a tight line around off-stump, it might be preferable to reverse sweep, rather than trying to hit across the line to leg, or play an awkward inside-out shot to off. The batsman might have a weakness playing off his pads, or something like that. It's a shot that enables a batsman to get balls square of the wicket that normally wouldn't be hit there.

(Of course, they could just try a conventional sweep)

Matt79

Global Moderator
I said I like it, but I was probably just being anti to all the "its an ugly, premeditated shot and I declare anathema" posts... ;)

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Bloody typical. :dry:

Yup. That's why he's got Revolver on his posts when the rest of the world are celebrating 40 years of Sgt Pepper at the moment.

EDIT
Going back to the reverse sweep, I can handle it in desperate circumstances such as Nixon in the WC. Other than that, it's either showboating/hubris (KP vs SL) or plain stupid (bloody Gatting).

Last edited:

Matt79

Global Moderator
Bloody typical. :dry:
Yup. That's why he's got Revolver on his posts when the rest of the world are celebrating 40 years of Sgt Pepper at the moment.
:cool:

But I'm celebrating Sgt Pepper's everyday. And as I said in OT, I think Revolver is the better album. I thought about putting Sgt Pepper's up as my avatar, but I thought it would be a bit too busy to translate well in such a small pic. But Pasag's av has turned out beautifully.

re: the reverse sweep, yeah look, its probably not my favourite shot, and I do enjoy watching people get out playing it, but it can be an effective shot, and I don't have a problem with people who play it well...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Am always wary with the Rolleyes, TBH. The Dry is a much better alternative, the Rolleyes is always open to the prospect of starting WWIII.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Am sorely tempted to bring out the massive rolleyes x 9, TBH, but am worried about the server crashing for an eternity.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The massive smiley vomiting roll-eyes is the ultimate IMO...
That is ONLY EVER TO BE USED IN AN EXTREME EMERGENCY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cameron-Moss

U19 12th Man
I think the reverse sweep is the one of the best shots in the game, my favourite are classic frontfoot coverdrive and square cut.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Dire shot. Hate it really.

But anyone who says they haven't tried it is either lying or plays no cricket of any form, IMO.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
No, not so. I'm just a **** batsman.
So you've never tried it? Not in the nets? Not in backyard cricket?

It's a horrible shot really, but I don't see why one would choose to never play a shot for fun in circumstances where there were no consequences..