• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What do you think would make a good cricket movie?

adharcric

International Coach
It wasn't that realistic--an Indian (deaf as well) making it to the national cricket team on the basis of pure hard work? No way, you need connections! Well, I guess he did have connections with his coach.
Munaf? Except Munaf isn't impaired; he just can't run for ****. :dry:

The_Bunny

State Regular
Sir Donald Bradman
I dont think there is much point in having a bodyline tour movie as it would be 60% about the Don anyway.

Shane Warne
^ About 3 differant movies there:laugh:

Irelands trip to the WC

And the 2005 Ashes

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well for that kind of story it's really has to go to Ireland.
Not really - Kenya's was far more film-worthy than Ireland's. Ireland's amounts to "a few Aussies went to a foreign land and played cricket". Kenya's, as TdL explained, was really classic stuff, most of all the bit about Aasif Karim.
For BD vs Aus they could do a story around ricky ponting etc call out to strip BD their test status or something and then the climax would be the match.
Would have to reverse historical events if they wanted to do that.

sideshowtim

Banned
Sir Donald Bradman
I dont think there is much point in having a bodyline tour movie as it would be 60% about the Don anyway.
There already is a movie about Bodyline. A mini-series anyway.

A Bradman film is most likely and it would be a rather interesting one. It could explore things that aren't touched in discussion of him so much such as his reported discrimination of Catholics in the cricket team.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
Not really - Kenya's was far more film-worthy than Ireland's. Ireland's amounts to "a few Aussies went to a foreign land and played cricket". Kenya's, as TdL explained, was really classic stuff, most of all the bit about Aasif Karim.

Would have to reverse historical events if they wanted to do that.
No way, There's like 4 foreigners and all of them are like based there for a long time and you could think of them as Irish too kind of as in people from Ireland...plus 4 is not a big number, England has/had it's fair share with foreigners and so did so many other teams. that's really discrediting Ireland is all you're doing right there.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
There is nothing interesting about the Ireland story, really - because the only remote element of adventure is the Aussies moving over. Other than that, it's just a few Irish lads playing a game that's not especially popular.

In Kenya, it was kids learning the game with maize-cob balls at the start, a whole host of stuff in between, and the most incredible climax as (as TdL puts it) "a forgotten old-timer returns from his job in insurance to torment the mighty Aussies with his left-arm slows".

sohummisra

U19 Debutant
There is nothing interesting about the Ireland story, really - because the only remote element of adventure is the Aussies moving over. Other than that, it's just a few Irish lads playing a game that's not especially popular.

In Kenya, it was kids learning the game with maize-cob balls at the start, a whole host of stuff in between, and the most incredible climax as (as TdL puts it) "a forgotten old-timer returns from his job in insurance to torment the mighty Aussies with his left-arm slows".
Also, just the fact that Kenya were far more competitive than the Irish in that cup. Or at least, that was the impression I got. They looked capable of beating the big sides almost every day they played, which is why they got the semifinal berth. Unlike Ireland--who looked really good a few days and looked like the minnow side they were on most other days.

Craig

World Traveller
Life of Bob Woolmer?

Wouldn't mind seeing on Aboriginal fast bowler Eddie Gilbert who once got Bradman for a first ball duck in the 1930s, who grew up in a mission camp in Queensland and IIRC died in a mental asylum in Brisbane in the early 70's. I think you can definatly say it was the race card that prevented him from getting a Baggy Green (remember it would be more then 30 years later before Aborigines had the right to vote).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Also, just the fact that Kenya were far more competitive than the Irish in that cup. Or at least, that was the impression I got. They looked capable of beating the big sides almost every day they played, which is why they got the semifinal berth. Unlike Ireland--who looked really good a few days and looked like the minnow side they were on most other days.
Yeah, that too. Kenya only had 2 notable wins (SL who had food-poisoning and Zim who were afflicted by madness - never better exemplified than when Flower and Blignaut dashed for the same end) but they had 2 or 3 other games where they played like a genuine ODI team who could and did compete well.

pasag

RTDAS
Wouldn't mind seeing on Aboriginal fast bowler Eddie Gilbert who once got Bradman for a first ball duck in the 1930s, who grew up in a mission camp in Queensland and IIRC died in a mental asylum in Brisbane in the early 70's. I think you can definatly say it was the race card that prevented him from getting a Baggy Green (remember it would be more then 30 years later before Aborigines had the right to vote).
Get Nick Cave to direct it and you've got a deal.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bothams Ashes? The two tied tests?
I still don't think that an actual cricket match or series would make a very good movie unless there was a whole heap of off the field drama like there was during the Bodyline Tour.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Where Ian Botham's involved, off-field drama is rarely far away!
I'm too young to remember Botham's Ashes but from what I have read there wasn't a great deal of off-field drama like there was during Bodyline. Certainly not enough to make a movie out of, unless the camera followed Botham around all the time and it was almost like a visual biography.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Wasn't being 100% serious, TBH - but Botham's career, if there was nothing particularly notable in 1981, had as much off-field drama as anyone's. The Life Of Botham would be a decent film, if a touch long.