• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official** South Africa v India in Ireland

LA ICE-E

State Captain
Its good for Irish cricket that they are also getting to host a tournament and are also getting a chance to play against 2 international sides.

I think Irish cricket has the potential but the ICC needs to help them in their development too.

They might get extra money for development from the ICC, but after seeing how the USACA board failed and wasted loads of money and Kenyan board didn't use it right either with it dissolving ICC will be little reluctant to do so.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
Does anybody know what side the Irish will be putting up? Same as the WC team?
They'll have some of their quality players but not all because there's no rule set by the ECB that would make sure the counties let the players from associate teams play in international call ups like it does with England.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
ECB is supposed to be helping them and not be selfish but if they do this they are definitely being selfish. You shouldn't be like that though with Associates, all test members should try to help out the associates. It's one thing to not help a full member because it's your opponent (although Australia is helping out Bangladesh still) but you should definitely try to help associates.

Plus it's not like there aren't any overlapping international games that happens.

Last edited:

The Big Cheese

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
It should be a relatively tight series between India and SA, (and Ireland i guess...)
Both in foreign conditions, India probably more so. Are India taking their best side?

LA ICE-E

State Captain
It should be a relatively tight series between India and SA, (and Ireland i guess...)
Both in foreign conditions, India probably more so. Are India taking their best side?
Most likely otherwise I would expect Zee tv/ESPN- whoever has the deal with overseas series to be mad at the board so yeah they most likely will.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
ECB is supposed to be helping them and not be selfish but if they do this they are definitely being selfish. You shouldn't be like that though with Associates, all test members should try to help out the associates. It's one thing to not help a full member because it's your opponent (although Australia is helping out Bangladesh still) but you should definitely try to help associates.

Plus it's not like there aren't any overlapping international games that happens.
There is no good reason for The ECB to help Ireland become a separate team.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
They'll have some of their quality players but not all because there's no rule set by the ECB that would make sure the counties let the players from associate teams play in international call ups like it does with England.
And quite rightly, too - the players are contracted to the counties, with no provision for release for non-England games. Unlike players who miss domestic cricket to play for England, who are more often than not contracted directly to The ECB.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Doesn't the ECB pay the counties when England players play tests/odi if they're not on central contracts. Presumably the Irish Cricket Union would have to do the same?

LA ICE-E

State Captain
There is no good reason for The ECB to help Ireland become a separate team.
No they already are a separate team get that to you head. It has a responsibility (kind of like all full members does to help out the top associates in their region) to help out the top associates get better. Hell Bangladesh is a full member but you see Australia helping them out, South Africa, India and Pakistan are helping each other out with spin, and fast bowling. So I see no reason for the full members not to help the top associates out.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
Yeah, I know. But surely this should/could be factored in with the money they are getting from India for the ODIs in the first place? Or is that just too sensible?
how are they suppose to have funds to improve if they give the few ones they have to the counties?

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
how are they suppose to have funds to improve if they give the few ones they have to the counties?
How are the best Irish players to improve if they don't play county cricket? What sensible county will pay the wages of an Irish player who goes on international duty whilst the county is still paying them... surely they'd be better off having a Kolpak?

LA ICE-E

State Captain
How are the best Irish players to improve if they don't play county cricket? What sensible county will pay the wages of an Irish player who goes on international duty whilst the county is still paying them... surely they'd be better off having a Kolpak?
No, they should play county cricket because it improves their skill but they should be able to play for their country when there's a international call up. The fund the ICU needs is for development programs etc to get a system in place but right now they don't have the fund so if they gave away their only fund to the county they wouldn't be able to move forward. I'm not saying the counties should pay for their wages when an Irish player is doing international duties but they should let them play when Ireland is playing.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
No, they should play county cricket because it improves their skill but they should be able to play for their country when there's a international call up. The fund the ICU needs is for development programs etc to get a system in place but right now they don't have the fund so if they gave away their only fund to the county they wouldn't be able to move forward. I'm not saying the counties should pay for their wages when an Irish player is doing international duties but they should let them play when Ireland is playing.
I'm just playing devil's advoate really. It is a tricky situation though, especially for example with Ireland also playing as a county. For example, they're paying Nantie Heywood to play for them in the FP trophy against those same counties. I'm a bit confused how that fits in somehow.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No they already are a separate team get that to you head. It has a responsibility (kind of like all full members does to help out the top associates in their region) to help out the top associates get better. Hell Bangladesh is a full member but you see Australia helping them out, South Africa, India and Pakistan are helping each other out with spin, and fast bowling. So I see no reason for the full members not to help the top associates out.
The ECB has no responsibility to make Ireland anything more than what it always has been.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And now that they have got a deal to get some fund, the ECB threatens to kick them out of their competition.
If this causes harm to The ECB's prospects, they've every right to. And if these funds really are so extensive, Ireland don't need to play in the FP Trophy.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
The ECB has no responsibility to make Ireland anything more than what it always has been.
And what's that? Anyways I feel every full member has to the responsibility to help out the top associates in their region, kind of like being a big brother kind of thing.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Boyd Rankin will get better playing against players of his own ability than those massively superior to him.