• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your country's all time ODI and test teams?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I would've slotted Jayawardene in there for Roy Dias who only played 20 Test matches.
Roy Dias played only 20 Tests because SL was deferred from getting Test status for over 7-8 years . He was one of Sri Lanka's unfortunate Cricket generation who were very classy but either never got to play Test Cricket or played only few Tests because Test Status came too late for them...(Others in this Group include Anura Tennekoon, Michael Tissera[SL Team Manager at World Cup], Russell Harmer, David Heyn, Tony Opatha, DS De Silva (long regarded as SL's equivalent of Chandrasekhar), Neil Chanmugam, Ajith De Silva (another Brilliant spinner), Lalith Kaluperuma (another brilliant spinner), Bandula Warnapura (whose nephew is on the verge of playing for SL) etc...)

He (Roy Dias) was regarded for a long time as Sri Lanka's most technically correct batsman ...and was supposedly an absolute delight to watch when he was in full flow ...being a left hander as well. Most Sri Lankans have heard of him and he is still regarded as the best (technically correct) batsman SL ever had .

Despite his few Tests , IMO , his reputation puts him ahead of Mahela .

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
ENGLAND TESTS:

Len Hutton*
Jack Hobbs
Walter Hammond
Dennis Compton
Ken Barrington
Les Ames+
Ian Botham
Wilfred Rhodes
John Snow
Fred Trueman
Sid Barnes/Jim Lacker - depending on conditions

ODI'S:

Graham Gooch
Marcus Trescothick
Nick Knight
Kevin Pietersen
Allan Lamb
Ian Botham
Andrew Flintoff
Alec Stewart
John Emburey
Darren Gough
Dereck Underwood

Matt79

Global Moderator
Morris for Ponsford. Ponting for Harvey. McGrath for Lindwall. Shocking omissions ...
Not really.

Morris was truly great on a couple of tours of England and otherwise only "good". I'd take Ponsford ahead of him without too much of a second thought. That said, the openers are the biggest raffle in an all-time Aussie line up, any out of Trumper, Ponsford, Woodfull, Barnes, Morris, Simpson, Taylor, Slater, Hayden or Langer have reasonable claims.

As for Ponting for Harvey, it remains to be seen whether Ponting will finish his career with as good an average as Harvey tbh... and Harvey played on uncovered pitches and matting pitches that were, in his words, sometimes not really up-to-scratch. Not saying you're wrong, but I'm going to wait until Ponting finishes before I decide whether he deserves to be ahead of Harvey, or Border, or for that matter Steve Waugh. The fact that I think he COULD end up ahead of them says volumes about how highly I rate the guy though.

If I was going to omit anyone in favour of McGrath, it would be Davidson, not Lindwall. Lindwall was pretty much the complete bowler IMO. Its a toss up between him and Lillee as to who's the best pacer from Australia.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Roy Dias played only 20 Tests because SL was deferred from getting Test status for over 7-8 years . He was one of Sri Lanka's unfortunate Cricket generation who were very classy but either never got to play Test Cricket or played only few Tests because Test Status came too late for them...(Others in this Group include Anura Tennekoon, Michael Tissera[SL Team Manager at World Cup], Russell Harmer, David Heyn, Tony Opatha, DS De Silva (long regarded as SL's equivalent of Chandrasekhar), Neil Chanmugam, Ajith De Silva (another Brilliant spinner), Lalith Kaluperuma (another brilliant spinner), Bandula Warnapura (whose nephew is on the verge of playing for SL) etc...)

He (Roy Dias) was regarded for a long time as Sri Lanka's most technically correct batsman ...and was supposedly an absolute delight to watch when he was in full flow ...being a left hander as well. Most Sri Lankans have heard of him and he is still regarded as the best (technically correct) batsman SL ever had .

Despite his few Tests , IMO , his reputation puts him ahead of Mahela .
I was fairly certain that somebody you would place in a Sri Lankan All Time XI that had only played 20 Tests had his career shortened for some reason. I wasn't too sure about who this Roy Dias chap was, but he was obviously held in high regard by Sri Lankan.s

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Side looks a bit thin in both batting & bowling if we were to imagine it coming againts opposition all time attacks & batting line-ups. For me Wettimuny hasn't done near enough to upstage Atappatu for the opener spot, Jayawardene is a must & even if Sangakkara has to bat @ 7 Silva or even Kaluwitharana can't make it. I'd also be tempted to have Malinga in at this early stage since he is easily the second best seamer sri lanka has produced and one can easily see him having an excellent career.

I'd go:

Attapatu
Jayasuriya
De Silva
Dias
Jayawardene
Ranatunga
Sangakkara
R Ratnayake/S De Silva - depending on conditions
Vaas
Malinga
Murali
Your side looks good, But Wettimuy comes from a family in SL Cricket that contributed hugely to SL Cricket pre -Test era and was the equivalent of Ranatunga's post Test status.

Sidath Wettimuny and his brothers(Sunil and Mithra) were all openers with variable success at International Level. Sidath's contribution to SL Test perfomances in the early part of SL Cricket are by no means negligible... this was at a time when SL was trying to find its feet as a Test nation... It is in this context I would be tempted to slot in Sidath ahead of Marvan...because IMO , Sidath Wettimuny deserves a position for his contribution despite numbers which may favour Marvan..he played in a different era when SL was struggling...as a Test nation..

Malinga despite being a success at ODI level, IMO, still has a long way to go to being a Sri Lankan success story in the Test arena...and I hope he will fulfil the potential he has promised so far...

Last edited:

Fiery

Banned
As for Ponting for Harvey, it remains to be seen whether Ponting will finish his career with as good an average as Harvey tbh... and Harvey played on uncovered pitches and matting pitches that were, in his words, sometimes not really up-to-scratch. Not saying you're wrong, but I'm going to wait until Ponting finishes before I decide whether he deserves to be ahead of Harvey
:huh: Ponting's average is already > 10 better than Harvey's and he's scored far more runs. Ponting would have to go into a serious slump spanning years for his average to become lower than Harvey's

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
:huh: Ponting's average is already > 10 better than Harvey's and he's scored far more runs. Ponting would have to go into a serious slump spanning years for his average to become lower than Harvey's
You are right Fiery ..:)

Jeez , these Aussies who select all time teams.... they want perfection of the utmost..:laugh:

pasag

RTDAS
Agree with Matt re: Harvey from all that I've read and seen from footage etc. Although I certainly think Ponting will finish on top, but as I said I don't like ranking and comparing players I haven't seen much of. They're all guns fwiw.

Last edited:

The Big Cheese

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
My New Zealand test team:
1. Turner
2. Wright
3. Jones
4. Crowe
5. Sutcliffe
6. Fleming (c)
7. Cairns
8. McCullum (wk)
9. Vettori
10. Hadlee
11. Bond
12th man: Richardson (very close call)
The four bowler look was mainly because i don't think another NZ bowler deserves to be in there.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
My New Zealand test team:
1. Turner
2. Wright
3. Jones
4. Crowe
5. Sutcliffe
6. Fleming (c)
7. Cairns
8. McCullum (wk)
9. Vettori
10. Hadlee
11. Bond
12th man: Richardson (very close call)
The four bowler look was mainly because i don't think another NZ bowler deserves to be in there.
No Astle ? What about Warren Lees or Ian Smith over McCullum ?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
McCullum = Smith, Smith/McCullum > Lees
Fair enough , I would prefer Smith though..because he has a few valuable Test hundred's IIRC. Especially one against the Aussies or West Indies...Trying hard to remember..

But why no Astle..Surely he will have to be in the best NZ Test side...

Fiery

Banned
Fair enough , I would prefer Smith though..because he has a few valuable Test hundred's IIRC. Especially one against the Aussies or West Indies...Trying hard to remember..

But why no Astle..Surely he will have to be in the best NZ Test side...
Smith scored 2 test hundreds. First one against Eng 1983 and this blinder against India in 1990. He played the cut shot to virtually every ball even if it pitched a metre outside leg stump but was very handy. McCullum is a better batsman and equally good with the gloves now imo.

Astle has a case to be in both sides but I would probably only have him in the OD side

Last edited: