Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Your country's all time ODI and test teams?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    That has got to be one of the most lethal ODI seam attacks ever IMO
    One of the most potent ODI bowling attacks that could ever be fielded.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    1. Vijay Merchant
    2. Sunil Gavaskar
    3. Rahul Dravid
    4. Sachin Tendulkar
    5. Vijay Hazare
    6. Kapil Dev
    7. Vinoo Mankad
    8. Syed Kirmani
    9. Amar Singh
    10. Mohammad Nissar
    11. Bhagwat Chandrasekhar

You can swap Bedi or Kumble if the Test is in India, Chandrashekhar if its away.
    Mankad > Kapil with the bat. Replace a seamer (probably Nissar) with Bedi or Kumble for home tests - we certainly need three spinners at home.

That has got to be one of the most lethal ODI seam attacks ever IMO
    Absolutely ..Only the West Indian attacks would come close to matching that in lethality.

I would love to see how many batsman would have the stomach to face such an attack.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    I'm gonna have a crack at the NZ test team, bearing in mind I know very little about pre-1980 test players.

Glenn Turner
    Mark Richardson/John Wright
    Andrew Jones
    Martin Crowe?
    Bert Suttcliffe
    Chris Cairns?
    Richard Hadlee
    Ian Smith/Brendan McCullum
    (spinner)
    Dick Motz?
    Shane Bond?

There are definitely other players who should be in there, I just don't know them yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by JASON View Post
    Absolutely ..Only the West Indian attacks would come close to matching that in lethality.

I would love to see how many batsman would have the stomach to face such an attack.
    Forget stomach, they'd need steel cap boots.

Looks pretty good. Who's Davidson? I don't think I've heard of him before.

Bevan at four? I'd have it something like

Gilchrist
    Waugh
    Ponting
    Waugh
    Symonds
    Bevan
    Hussey

That's just my opinion though
    Quote Originally Posted by Perm View Post
    Alan Davidson, the second best left arm fast bowler of all time IMO.

Bevan has very good numbers at 4 if I remember correctly.
    Yeah, Davo just edges out McGrath as the 3rd seamer, based on his performances as a bowler and his left-handedness adds another bit of variety to the attack. Add to that the fact that he was genuinely a bowling allrounder (as opposed to a bowler who can bat a bit like a Warne or Lindwall) and a great fielder (he was nicknamed 'The Claw' because of his habit of snatching sharp catches out of the air).

Steve Waugh batting spot in the ODI team is a bit of a poser, I want him in for his solid batting and very handy medium pace and death bowling. But he's not really in Hussey's league as a late in the innings pinch-hitter, and I'd be loathe to deprive Ponting, Bevan or Symonds the chance to have as long as possible to bat. Probably have him at 5 ahead of Symonds and Hussey on reflection...
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar

I'd do it, if I was paid as much as an Aussie test player. Not saying I'd score any runs though...

For Sri Lanka in Tests -

Sidath Wettimuny
    Sanath Jayasuriya
    Aravinda De Silva
    Roy Dias
    Kumar Sangakkara
    Arjuna Ranatunga (Captain)
    Amal Silva (wicket Keeper)
    Chaminda Vaas
    Rumesh Ratnayake or Ashantha De Mel
    DS De Silva
    Muttiah Muralitharan
    Side looks a bit thin in both batting & bowling if we were to imagine it coming againts opposition all time attacks & batting line-ups. For me Wettimuny hasn't done near enough to upstage Atappatu for the opener spot, Jayawardene is a must & even if Sangakkara has to bat @ 7 Silva or even Kaluwitharana can't make it. I'd also be tempted to have Malinga in at this early stage since he is easily the second best seamer sri lanka has produced and one can easily see him having an excellent career.

I'd go:

Attapatu
    Jayasuriya
    De Silva
    Dias
    Jayawardene
    Ranatunga
    Sangakkara
    R Ratnayake/S De Silva - depending on conditions
    Vaas
    Malinga
    Murali

I'm gonna have a crack at the NZ test team, bearing in mind I know very little about pre-1980 test players.

Glenn Turner
    Mark Richardson/John Wright
    Andrew Jones
    Martin Crowe?
    Bert Suttcliffe
    Chris Cairns?
    Richard Hadlee
    Ian Smith/Brendan McCullum
    (spinner)
    Dick Motz?
    Shane Bond?

There are definitely other players who should be in there, I just don't know them yet.
    Ian Smith would be a definite choice over Brendan McCullum IMO. Vettori would probably be the spinner, I'd have John Wright over Mark Richardson as well. Ewen Chatfield and Danny Morrison could be potential fast bowlers in that attack. Fleming and Astle a little unlucky to miss out.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    Test:
    Ponsford
    Trumper
    Bradman
    Chappell
    Harvey
    Miller
    Gilchrist
    Davidson
    Lindwall
    Warne
    Lillee
    Morris for Ponsford. Ponting for Harvey. McGrath for Lindwall. Shocking omissions ...

Quote Originally Posted by Perm View Post
    I would've slotted Jayawardene in there for Roy Dias who only played 20 Test matches.
    Roy Dias played only 20 Tests because SL was deferred from getting Test status for over 7-8 years . He was one of Sri Lanka's unfortunate Cricket generation who were very classy but either never got to play Test Cricket or played only few Tests because Test Status came too late for them...(Others in this Group include Anura Tennekoon, Michael Tissera[SL Team Manager at World Cup], Russell Harmer, David Heyn, Tony Opatha, DS De Silva (long regarded as SL's equivalent of Chandrasekhar), Neil Chanmugam, Ajith De Silva (another Brilliant spinner), Lalith Kaluperuma (another brilliant spinner), Bandula Warnapura (whose nephew is on the verge of playing for SL) etc...)

He (Roy Dias) was regarded for a long time as Sri Lanka's most technically correct batsman ...and was supposedly an absolute delight to watch when he was in full flow ...being a left hander as well. Most Sri Lankans have heard of him and he is still regarded as the best (technically correct) batsman SL ever had .

Despite his few Tests , IMO , his reputation puts him ahead of Mahela .

ENGLAND TESTS:

Len Hutton*
    Jack Hobbs
    Walter Hammond
    Dennis Compton
    Ken Barrington
    Les Ames+
    Ian Botham
    Wilfred Rhodes
    John Snow
    Fred Trueman
    Sid Barnes/Jim Lacker - depending on conditions

ODI'S:

Graham Gooch
    Marcus Trescothick
    Nick Knight
    Kevin Pietersen
    Allan Lamb
    Ian Botham
    Andrew Flintoff
    Alec Stewart
    John Emburey
    Darren Gough
    Dereck Underwood

I'd do it, if I was paid as much as an Aussie test player. Not saying I'd score any runs though...
    A couple hundred thousand at the risk of permanent damage? Not saying I wouldn't....actually, I wouldn't.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Quote Originally Posted by adharcric View Post
    Morris for Ponsford. Ponting for Harvey. McGrath for Lindwall. Shocking omissions ...
    Not really.

Morris was truly great on a couple of tours of England and otherwise only "good". I'd take Ponsford ahead of him without too much of a second thought. That said, the openers are the biggest raffle in an all-time Aussie line up, any out of Trumper, Ponsford, Woodfull, Barnes, Morris, Simpson, Taylor, Slater, Hayden or Langer have reasonable claims.

As for Ponting for Harvey, it remains to be seen whether Ponting will finish his career with as good an average as Harvey tbh... and Harvey played on uncovered pitches and matting pitches that were, in his words, sometimes not really up-to-scratch. Not saying you're wrong, but I'm going to wait until Ponting finishes before I decide whether he deserves to be ahead of Harvey, or Border, or for that matter Steve Waugh. The fact that I think he COULD end up ahead of them says volumes about how highly I rate the guy though.

If I was going to omit anyone in favour of McGrath, it would be Davidson, not Lindwall. Lindwall was pretty much the complete bowler IMO. Its a toss up between him and Lillee as to who's the best pacer from Australia.

Roy Dias played only 20 Tests because SL was deferred from getting Test status for over 7-8 years . He was one of Sri Lanka's unfortunate Cricket generation who were very classy but either never got to play Test Cricket or played only few Tests because Test Status came too late for them...(Others in this Group include Anura Tennekoon, Michael Tissera[SL Team Manager at World Cup], Russell Harmer, David Heyn, Tony Opatha, DS De Silva (long regarded as SL's equivalent of Chandrasekhar), Neil Chanmugam, Ajith De Silva (another Brilliant spinner), Lalith Kaluperuma (another brilliant spinner), Bandula Warnapura (whose nephew is on the verge of playing for SL) etc...)

He (Roy Dias) was regarded for a long time as Sri Lanka's most technically correct batsman ...and was supposedly an absolute delight to watch when he was in full flow ...being a left hander as well. Most Sri Lankans have heard of him and he is still regarded as the best (technically correct) batsman SL ever had .

Despite his few Tests , IMO , his reputation puts him ahead of Mahela .
    I was fairly certain that somebody you would place in a Sri Lankan All Time XI that had only played 20 Tests had his career shortened for some reason. I wasn't too sure about who this Roy Dias chap was, but he was obviously held in high regard by Sri Lankan.s

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information