• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Aus,NZ,SA domestic comp?

Is it a good idea?

• Total voters

Flem274*

123/5
I had an idea while watching the rugby (20mins then got bored)

Would it be possible for NZ, Aus and SA to have a competition where thier domestic teams play in the same comp? (like super 14 rugby)

IMO it would benefit all countries involved as the domestic players who rarely play an international player would get the chance and would improve as a result. Also all teams would have quality opposition to play against.

Personally I would join up the NZ provincial teams into three teams: Central Districts and Wellington, Auckland and Northern Districts, Canterbury and Otago.

I'm not sure if SA would need to do the same. Australia probably wouldn't need to.

To give an example of the teams, I will list a CD/Wellington FC team.

How
Barnett
Sinclair
Fleming
Ryder(not sure if he plays for wellington or not)
Oram
(which keeper?)
Franklin
Patel
Gillespie(not sure if he's wellington either)

reserves include;

Taylor
Mason
Hay
Parlane
others I've forgotten

Pretty decent team IMO

If this idea has been raised before, sorry.

EDIT: Also, it would mean we wouldn't need to send players away to County Cricket so often, new fans may be attracted and the money could help boost domestic players incomes.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Would this be replacing domestic cricket or played on top of it?

If for example this was the top domestic team for the players to get into are the Cantebury and Otago teams abandoned? Or are just the best players taken? Leaving a somewhat B team to play in a New Zealand only tournament, through this you would not only be developing a wider range of players into top class cricket, but still continuing the lower level to see who has the potential to play higher.

How do you think it should be run?

Flem274*

123/5
Would this be replacing domestic cricket or played on top of it?

If for example this was the top domestic team for the players to get into are the Cantebury and Otago teams abandoned? Or are just the best players taken? Leaving a somewhat B team to play in a New Zealand only tournament, through this you would not only be developing a wider range of players into top class cricket, but still continuing the lower level to see who has the potential to play higher.

How do you think it should be run?
Keep all three countries domestic comps if the players are good enough they graduate to the joint team (in NZ's case). In Aus if they're good then obviously they get a chance at the higher level. Dunno about SA though. It depends on thier depth.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Keep all three countries domestic comps if the players are good enough they graduate to the joint team (in NZ's case). In Aus if they're good then obviously they get a chance at the higher level. Dunno about SA though. It depends on thier depth.
An interesting idea, but what about other countries? WI, Kenya, etc. Bit rough to just base it on strong rugby playing nations. :laugh:

Flem274*

123/5
An interesting idea, but what about other countries? WI, Kenya, etc. Bit rough to just base it on strong rugby playing nations. :laugh:
:laugh:

I don't know alot about those countries but I suppose they could do something similar, especially the subcontinent teams.

Athlai

Not Terrible
:laugh:

I don't know alot about those countries but I suppose they could do something similar, especially the subcontinent teams.
I like the idea of MORE cricketers playing against better competition, and it would benefit countries around the world, but its a logistical nightmare.

Various seasons...
All the countries that play high level cricket...
Countries like NZ managing to bring up enough players to sustain a healthy domestic competition alongside this one...
And its likely interference with international cricket.

I think that the current format is easier and for that reason it will remain. A good idea but to hard for any country to really get behind. (Might also bring a larger fan base to cricket, but then again every new idea supposedly does. :laugh: )

Flem274*

123/5
I like the idea of MORE cricketers playing against better competition, and it would benefit countries around the world, but its a logistical nightmare.

Various seasons...
Countries like NZ managing to bring up enough players to sustain a healthy domestic competition alongside this one...

I think that the current format is easier and for that reason it will remain. A good idea but to hard for any country to really get behind. (Might also bring a larger fan base to cricket, but then again every new idea supposedly does. :laugh: )
Yeah I bet we will be seeing 10/10 cricket soon. With bowling machines and steel bats...

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Why?

They have alot of good players that have'nt had the chance to impress against international opposition. If they got that chance then they would get even better.
That why they tired top end A Series, but that didn't work cus not all the players got released from England.

Really all it will add is an extra burden on players at domestic level to play more matches. South Africa has already reduced their domestic competition to improve the standard. So you got no chance of them dropping down to more teams. Good luck trying to get Australia to reduce there number of teams.

So basically NZ would just be required to drop down to 4 teams. Which means a 16 team comp, thats atleast 15 rounds, even if you only play team once. Thats extra five rounds each form for all the teams.

Add that the extra travelling from South Africa and back, which will just jet lag the places, and produce low quality cricket. Also do honestly think that people will do and watch these games. It will be a financial disater, all the boards will just lose a mass amount of money. It will just be a waste of time what ever way you look at it.

Flem274*

123/5

Various seasons...

O yeah I probably should reply to the main part of your post:laugh:

SA Aus and us are reasonably close, though you do have a good point. Domestic cricket here is getting better though, and if we bully some internationals to play in the new comp then we should be OK. We play far less international matches than subcontinental teams.

Flem274*

123/5
That why they tired top end A Series, but that didn't work cus not all the players got released from England.

Really all it will add is an extra burden on players at domestic level to play more matches. South Africa has already reduced their domestic competition to improve the standard. So you got no chance of them dropping down to more teams. Good luck trying to get Australia to reduce there number of teams.

So basically NZ would just be required to drop down to 4 teams. Which means a 16 team comp, thats atleast 15 rounds, even if you only play team once. Thats extra five rounds each form for all the teams.

Add that the extra travelling from South Africa and back, which will just jet lag the places, and produce low quality cricket. Also do honestly think that people will do and watch these games. It will be a financial disater, all the boards will just lose a mass amount of money. It will just be a waste of time what ever way you look at it.
Australia wouldn't need to decrease thier teams.

When you say A series, do you mean NZ A, Sri Lanka A etc?

You do have a point and obviously there would be alot of refinement needed. I was talking about the raw idea. The jet lag does'nt seem to affect rugby. Neither soccer in Europe with the European championships.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Australia wouldn't need to decrease thier teams.

When you say A series, do you mean NZ A, Sri Lanka A etc?

You do have a point and obviously there would be alot of refinement needed. I was talking about the raw idea. The jet lag does'nt seem to affect rugby. Neither soccer in Europe with the European championships.
A Series yes NZ A, SL A

Jet lag doesn't effect those other sports cus they don't play over five/four days.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If anything were to happen, I couldn't see SA being involved just due to the travel needed. An Aus/NZ league would work well in that sense though, but I just don't think Cricket Australia would be up for it TBH.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
NZC from memory have actually asked about entering a couple sides into the Pura Cup and FR Cup, North and South Island. But Cricket Australia weren't interested and they developed the CH Series instead.

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
Don't think it would work tbh. You just couldn't generate enough revenue from ticket sales, and they might stuggle to get the necessary tv coverage. I doubt Sky would be willing to cough up megabucks for something like this. The only way I could see it working would be if it was a 20/20 comp, but as far as developing players goes that would be a complete waste of time.

Oh, and Flem274* I think you've only got 10 players in that CD/Wellington side ;)

slugger

State Vice-Captain
Its amazing how much clout nz rugby has, a nation of 3.5 million and we have 5 teams in the comp, the super 12/14 has greatly benefitted aust/rsa, its a petty these 2 nations couldnt throw us a bone involving cricket at a domestic level, like we did for rugby and nz did this well before the days of professionlism I mean aust hasnt even got a rugby comp outside the super 14.

Craig

World Traveller
Its amazing how much clout nz rugby has, a nation of 3.5 million and we have 5 teams in the comp, the super 12/14 has greatly benefitted aust/rsa, its a petty these 2 nations couldnt throw us a bone involving cricket at a domestic level, like we did for rugby and nz did this well before the days of professionlism I mean aust hasnt even got a rugby comp outside the super 14.
Well club rugby.

Oh wait...

Flem274*

123/5
Haha true though if they are'nt gonna be nice enough to join in the fun, we should improve our academy to the extent that it's better or on par with Australia. In fact, we should do that anyway.