Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it time for Gilchrist to give up ODIs?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!

Is it time for Gilchrist to give up ODIs?

Look, don't get me wrong this guy has been our greatest wicket keeper/batsman in our ODI history, but really what reason does he have to play on after the World Cup? He has said himself he is not going to be around for the next one. I wouldn't be saying this if he was scoring hundreds everywhere like Matthew Hayden, but the results just haven't been there.

Given that he is a constant complainer about the compact schedules for the Australian team and the hectic nature of next summer it might be time for him to hand over the reigns. Haddin is a more than capable successor and Gilchrist could possibly extend his test match career.

I think, especially if Australia win yet another World Cup it would be a good stage for Gilchrist to hang up the gloves in ODIs.
    Cricketweb Colts Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Hayden > Lehmann
    I'm a member of Club Kerry

I'm Green

The color of immortality, nature and envy - you are truly a unique person. While clearly the color of nature, you also symbolize rebirth, fertility and hope in the world. On the other side of the spectrum, a natural aptitude to money with green coming to signify money and possibly even *********!

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    I've said it several times - I really don't see why he intends to continue - even if he was hitting it like Hayden was in this tournament.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Yep, I can handle Gilly handing over the gloves to Haddin, for the ODIs at least.

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    I think he should continue playing in ODI's but should stop opening the batting. He will be a real asset in the lower middle order.

If Gilchrist wants to continue playing ODIs, then he should continue to make himself available. It's up to the selectors to decide whether or not he should be in the side - not himself.
    ~ Cribbage ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Burger Time Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by SJS View Post
    I think he should continue playing in ODI's but should stop opening the batting. He will be a real asset in the lower middle order.
    Australia don't have a lower middle order atm.

Burger Time Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    If Gilchrist wants to continue playing ODIs, then he should continue to make himself available. It's up to the selectors to decide whether or not he should be in the side - not himself.
    That's all fine, as long as he doesn't complain about the packed schedule.

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Wright View Post
    Australia don't have a lower middle order atm.
    Thats true. How about lending him to us in India ? Our lower middle order starts after the fall of the first wicket

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    As long as he doesn't give up Test match cricket for another year or two then I don't care what he does in regards to ODI's, although I would prefer for him to continue. If it helps him play Tests for longer then I'm all for him retiring from that form of the game.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Wright View Post
    Look, don't get me wrong this guy has been our greatest wicket keeper/batsman in our ODI history, but really what reason does he have to play on after the World Cup? He has said himself he is not going to be around for the next one. I wouldn't be saying this if he was scoring hundreds everywhere like Matthew Hayden, but the results just haven't been there.

Given that he is a constant complainer about the compact schedules for the Australian team and the hectic nature of next summer it might be time for him to hand over the reigns. Haddin is a more than capable successor and Gilchrist could possibly extend his test match career.

I think, especially if Australia win yet another World Cup it would be a good stage for Gilchrist to hang up the gloves in ODIs.
    I'm not sure how much of the complaining is about himself though. I think alot of it is on behalf of his team-mates and as vice-captain it's part of his responsability to represent his players on such issues.

Re the topic title, I hope he retires from one-day cricket on a high after the World Cup but stays in the Test side forever.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

I think Gilly is the best man to decide how long he wants to play, he is such an experienced cricketer that he would know when is the right time for him hang up his boots.

As Princey said performance should the main criteria for selection and in Gilly's case it shouldn't be any different.

I think more than anything else Gilly is playing for the team, he has got lot of experience and he probably doesn't want Aussies to lose on too much of experience at the same time.

IMO, Aussies are just trying to groom Clarke so that he can take over as the vice-captain of side once Gilly leaves.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pup11 View Post
    I think Gilly is the best man to decide how long he wants to play, he is such an experienced cricketer that he would know when is the right time for him hang up his boots.

As Princey said performance should the main criteria for selection and in Gilly's case it shouldn't be any different.
    Quote Originally Posted by pup11 View Post
    I think more than anything else Gilly is playing for the team, he has got lot of experience and he probably doesn't want Aussies to lose on too much of experience at the same time.

IMO, Aussies are just trying to groom Clarke so that he can take over as the vice-captain of side once Gilly leaves.
    Did it really need two posts mate?

International Regular shortpitched713's Avatar
    Gilly should play ODIs as long as he wants to play them afaic. I think hes a genuinely better player in that form of the game, and I think hes one of those who doesn't really take playing for Australia for granted. And I'm not really convinced about Haddin as a long-term replacement anyways.
    Proud 2nd member of GM-OLAS
    Honorary Assistant Vice-President and Inquisitor General of T2IBS (Twenty-20 is Boring Society)

Fraz highlights the defining aspect of Shoaib's legacy:
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    Those humanitarian works etc ?
    Quote Originally Posted by andruid View Post
    I feel Tendulkar's association with the money minting exploitation of cricket fandom by certain varying commercial interests tarnishes his greatness a tad.

Burger Time Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by shortpitched713 View Post
    Gilly should play ODIs as long as he wants to play them afaic. I think hes a genuinely better player in that form of the game, and I think hes one of those who doesn't really take playing for Australia for granted. And I'm not really convinced about Haddin as a long-term replacement anyways.
    I don't think anyone considers Haddin a long term replacement. Next WC at the longest, then the search will be on for the next long-term keeper, with most of the states having young keepers as their no. 1 keepers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information