• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is it time for Gilchrist to give up ODIs?

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Look, don't get me wrong this guy has been our greatest wicket keeper/batsman in our ODI history, but really what reason does he have to play on after the World Cup? He has said himself he is not going to be around for the next one. I wouldn't be saying this if he was scoring hundreds everywhere like Matthew Hayden, but the results just haven't been there.

Given that he is a constant complainer about the compact schedules for the Australian team and the hectic nature of next summer it might be time for him to hand over the reigns. Haddin is a more than capable successor and Gilchrist could possibly extend his test match career.

I think, especially if Australia win yet another World Cup it would be a good stage for Gilchrist to hang up the gloves in ODIs.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I've said it several times - I really don't see why he intends to continue - even if he was hitting it like Hayden was in this tournament.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I think he should continue playing in ODI's but should stop opening the batting. He will be a real asset in the lower middle order.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
If Gilchrist wants to continue playing ODIs, then he should continue to make himself available. It's up to the selectors to decide whether or not he should be in the side - not himself.

Mister Wright

If Gilchrist wants to continue playing ODIs, then he should continue to make himself available. It's up to the selectors to decide whether or not he should be in the side - not himself.
That's all fine, as long as he doesn't complain about the packed schedule.

Perm

As long as he doesn't give up Test match cricket for another year or two then I don't care what he does in regards to ODI's, although I would prefer for him to continue. If it helps him play Tests for longer then I'm all for him retiring from that form of the game.

pasag

RTDAS
Look, don't get me wrong this guy has been our greatest wicket keeper/batsman in our ODI history, but really what reason does he have to play on after the World Cup? He has said himself he is not going to be around for the next one. I wouldn't be saying this if he was scoring hundreds everywhere like Matthew Hayden, but the results just haven't been there.

Given that he is a constant complainer about the compact schedules for the Australian team and the hectic nature of next summer it might be time for him to hand over the reigns. Haddin is a more than capable successor and Gilchrist could possibly extend his test match career.

I think, especially if Australia win yet another World Cup it would be a good stage for Gilchrist to hang up the gloves in ODIs.
I'm not sure how much of the complaining is about himself though. I think alot of it is on behalf of his team-mates and as vice-captain it's part of his responsability to represent his players on such issues.

Re the topic title, I hope he retires from one-day cricket on a high after the World Cup but stays in the Test side forever.

pup11

International Coach
I think Gilly is the best man to decide how long he wants to play, he is such an experienced cricketer that he would know when is the right time for him hang up his boots.

As Princey said performance should the main criteria for selection and in Gilly's case it shouldn't be any different.

pup11

International Coach
I think more than anything else Gilly is playing for the team, he has got lot of experience and he probably doesn't want Aussies to lose on too much of experience at the same time.

IMO, Aussies are just trying to groom Clarke so that he can take over as the vice-captain of side once Gilly leaves.

Perm

I think Gilly is the best man to decide how long he wants to play, he is such an experienced cricketer that he would know when is the right time for him hang up his boots.

As Princey said performance should the main criteria for selection and in Gilly's case it shouldn't be any different.
I think more than anything else Gilly is playing for the team, he has got lot of experience and he probably doesn't want Aussies to lose on too much of experience at the same time.

IMO, Aussies are just trying to groom Clarke so that he can take over as the vice-captain of side once Gilly leaves.
Did it really need two posts mate?

shortpitched713

International Captain
Gilly should play ODIs as long as he wants to play them afaic. I think hes a genuinely better player in that form of the game, and I think hes one of those who doesn't really take playing for Australia for granted. And I'm not really convinced about Haddin as a long-term replacement anyways.

Mister Wright

Gilly should play ODIs as long as he wants to play them afaic. I think hes a genuinely better player in that form of the game, and I think hes one of those who doesn't really take playing for Australia for granted. And I'm not really convinced about Haddin as a long-term replacement anyways.
I don't think anyone considers Haddin a long term replacement. Next WC at the longest, then the search will be on for the next long-term keeper, with most of the states having young keepers as their no. 1 keepers.

Perm

Haddin has been in great form for New South Wales over the last couple of seasons I beleive, so he is definately scoring a few.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
I think that Gilly may well retire from ODI's after the WC if Australia win it, if not it will be after the home season next summer. After he has retired im sure he will make a smooth transition into the commentary box too.

Haddin is more then capable of of replacing Gilly in the ODI side. He has been in fantastic touch over the last couple of years.

Craig

World Traveller
Be interesting to see what would happen if Gilchrist threw out a bombshell and announced he was retiring from all cricket (or internationals at least) and the likes of Haddin would step up in the longer game.

Unlikely, but who is to say it won't happen, especially with Damien Martyn, Shane Warne, Glenn McGrath and Justin Langer all going (or in the case of McGrath, it will soon be)?

Matt79

Global Moderator

Agree with everything you say.