• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bracken's test chances

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It is though. People say "<insert name of great player> started his career poorly too" ATT, and often seem to imagine that this has some sort of meaning on a player at the current time. Because Warne was crap at Heal's age that means Heal's case bears any resemblence to Warne's? No, it doesn't TBH.

And don't think this is the only time. It bugs the heck out of me when anyone says it, especially when they go comparing Liam Plunkett to Angus Fraser.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
I'm not saying that their simiarlarity in figures means Heal will be as good as Warne, but rather that you should not write him off because of it.

Also worth noting Heal has played half his matches on the WACA, a typically unfriendly to spin surface, but then again the same arguement could apply to the Cullen boys.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Apart from The SCG, is it not the case that every surface in Australia is typically non-spin-friendly no?

Look mate I'm not saying Heal's crap (though I would, naturally, be surprised if he amounted to that much as Australia have pretty much never had any particularly outstanding fingerspinners for the above reason) but it just irritates me, as I say, when people compare cases when there's nothing in common but early crapness.

BTW, nice sig change. :p

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Richard, take my arguements very seriously with a grain of salt.

Spinners actually tend to do alright at the GABBA, Warne has a pretty gun record there. As you said the SCG is good for spin. I don't know about Hobart, but I think it takes some. MCG is normally good towards the end. Then you've got SA and WA.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
(Good) wristspinners tend to do all right everywhere, though, not just at The 'Gabba. I've honestly never heard much tell of it being friendly for fingerspin; it seems to have been flat as a pancake of late, and legendary for seam-friendliness back in t' day. Likewise, The WACA used to be seam-friendly but has been flat as a pancake of late, Adelaide has always been legendary for flatness, I thought the same was true of Bellerive, and The MCG never seems to conform to any patterns or expectations.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
MCG is good for pace at the mo I believe, judging by the Bushrangers comments and attack. Not to mention, WA are playing Inness and other crap instead of Heal down there, so it must be doing something for the pacemen.