• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shastri, the new coach of India!

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The next coach, interim or permanent, hopefully does not have to deal with Harbhajan's attitude. Since he is by far the easiest one to drop from this bunch. When was the last time he took a wicket in ODI's? Sehwag should not be too far behind and Ganguly,Tendulkar and Agarkar are also not too far behind.
Sourav Ganguly has been very good since his recall to the Indian side, both in Test and ODI cricket. Tendulkar has been in pretty poor Test form for a while now, but he is still going well in ODI's so I don't think there is any reason to drop either of them from the ODI side.

Evermind

International Debutant
I don't understand - what coaching qualifications does Shastri have? Has he written any books on coaching? Has he coached any first class sides? How do you appoint someone as the head coach of a national team without him being a proven coach? What evidence do you have that he is even a remotely passable coach? .
He can teach batsmen how to score at 2.7 runs an over.

Isolator

State 12th Man
Indian Team: What happen? AAAH.
Television screen turn on.
World cricket: How are you gentlemen.
Indian Team: What you say???
Shastri: Launch every zig.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I did say it pretty early on, and several have repeated it...

Shastri? A coach?
As others have pointed out, it is an interim appointment. Basically, he would just be expected to guide everyone, I think. Make sure the seamers listen to Prasad and that the players take the fielding drills of Robin seriously. They perhaps believe that Shastri won't take any nonsense and would tell players where they should go IF they don't toe the line of the management and also help out Rahul in strategy, because he does seem wanting there...

Having said that, Shastri is close to a lot of the senior guys in the side and is known to have a soft corner for them. So exactly how effective is he gonna be? What if he acts like Sachin's and Sourav's hired help? We'll have to wait and see. This move, I am sure, has been made with all the right intentions but whether it works out and whether Shastri is the right guy, only the future can tell us.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Not a bad choice as it seems Shahstri is a no-nonsense sort of guy and he also comes across as being a good reader of the game.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think it's a good move appointing Shastri as interrim "Cricket Manager" as opposed to an official coach, all he should do is look after the team basically. Help out players when they need it but not try to be an overbearing and proper coach.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Indian Team: What happen? AAAH.
Television screen turn on.
World cricket: How are you gentlemen.
Indian Team: What you say???
Shastri: Launch every zig.
ALL YOUR TEAM ARE BELONG TO SHASTRI
YOU ARE (HOPEFULLY) ON THE WAY TO SERIES VICTORY
YOU HAVE THE CHANCE TO SUCCESS. MAKE YOUR TIME

You set up us Great one!

andmark

International Captain
Just read a link on cricinfo, suggesing that Shastri will be the coach of india for the bangladesh tour and Robin singh will be the fielding coach.

Quite suprised TBH......thought of Whatmore, Moody and Viv Richards...but Shastri never crossed my mind! Any views on this guys?
Wasn't he Warne's first test wicket.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
As others have pointed out, it is an interim appointment. Basically, he would just be expected to guide everyone, I think. Make sure the seamers listen to Prasad and that the players take the fielding drills of Robin seriously. They perhaps believe that Shastri won't take any nonsense and would tell players where they should go IF they don't toe the line of the management and also help out Rahul in strategy, because he does seem wanting there...

Having said that, Shastri is close to a lot of the senior guys in the side and is known to have a soft corner for them. So exactly how effective is he gonna be? What if he acts like Sachin's and Sourav's hired help? We'll have to wait and see. This move, I am sure, has been made with all the right intentions but whether it works out and whether Shastri is the right guy, only the future can tell us.
So more of a manager than a coach?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Don't worry, FRAZ usually manages at least 6 lots of 3 (!!!)... with a space preceding each one... in most posts.

:)

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
I don't understand - what coaching qualifications does Shastri have? Has he written any books on coaching? Has he coached any first class sides? How do you appoint someone as the head coach of a national team without him being a proven coach? What evidence do you have that he is even a remotely passable coach? It makes zero sense to me. Interim or not, surely the Indian board can find someone who is, you know, an actual coach, regardless of the short notice.
The Indians don't need a technical coach, they have had two of the best coaches available in the last 6-7 years but never really learned anything much. They now need someone who can crack a whip. Probably Shastri is that man.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
The Indians don't need a technical coach, they have had two of the best coaches available in the last 6-7 years but never really learned anything much. They now need someone who can crack a whip. Probably Shastri is that man.
i don't understand how everyone has got this idea that shastri is going to crack a whip and have everyone do his bidding...just because he talks tough as a commentator and analyst? first of all, that kind of dictatorial approach is just not going to work in any team unless it is a bunch of schoolboys that he needs to manage and even then it isn't going to be easy as a long-term approach....secondly i don't know how that's going to be great for the team, these are not kids we are talking about, these are adults who need to develop a professional approach and a winning attitude innately, i doubt whether a military drill will force that into them....:)

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
i don't understand how everyone has got this idea that shastri is going to crack a whip and have everyone do his bidding
At this point of time India needs to look long and hard at their work ethic and mental toughness. The past 2 coaches have tried the usual stuff without much success. It high time something more radical is done. The Indians have not won a serious competition in ages. Shastri is known for talking tough, lets see if he can walk the talk. If some of the senior player are not willing to mend their ways then they should be thrown out without any further delay. I really think it would be better for India in the long run if some heads rolled.

just because he talks tough as a commentator and analyst? first of all, that kind of dictatorial approach is just not going to work in any team unless it is a bunch of schoolboys that he needs to manage and even then it isn't going to be easy as a long-term approach
Some of the members of the current team are worse than schoolboys. Almost everyone failed in this world cup and are in no position to argue about what methods should be applied to improve their game. The first chap to complain should just be thrown out. Indians have been waiting for 20 years for a second world cup, I think they stand a better chance with a fresh beginning.
These are the richest players in the world, even Parthiv Patel was making more money than a Ponting. There is no excuse for their levels of fitness and work ethic.
How many years does it take for these morons to get physically fit. The tubbys on Biggest Loser seem to get fitter faster then these bunch of sloths.

I don't know how that's going to be great for the team, these are not kids we are talking about, these are adults who need to develop a professional approach and a winning attitude innately, i doubt whether a military drill will force that into them
I personally am of the opinion that you either have these qualities or you dont. If India wants a winning team they should look for people with those qualities rather than waste their time reforming the current members.

pup11

International Coach
Shastri's appointment is nothing more than a stop-gap arrangement, why is he being rated so highly i can't understand that at all he doesn't have any previous experience of even coaching a club side, so i would really be suprised if he is appointed as a long-term coach.

And as for talking tough there were none better than Greg Chappell and we all know what happened with him, so i doubt Shastri would follow the same route.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
At this point of time India needs to look long and hard at their work ethic and mental toughness. The past 2 coaches have tried the usual stuff without much success. It high time something more radical is done. The Indians have not won a serious competition in ages. Shastri is known for talking tough, lets see if he can walk the talk. If some of the senior player are not willing to mend their ways then they should be thrown out without any further delay. I really think it would be better for India in the long run if some heads rolled.
i have no problems with some heads rolling for non-performance, in fact i would welcome that...but you are talking about running a cricket team as a military unit, do you think any of the successful teams are doing that? how would that be a good idea? just because of some bluster and bravado in a commentary box, you just can't conclude that shastri can be the one "whipping" them into shape and "marching" them off into glory....

I personally am of the opinion that you either have these qualities or you dont. If India wants a winning team they should look for people with those qualities rather than waste their time reforming the current members.
i am not talking about reforming them, the team management can only work on their fitness, technique and the like, they can do very little about the mental side of things, that would be mostly up to the players, but if they don't develop the winning habit(or simply put, if they keep losing), then out they should go....that should apply to current members as well as new members...as for looking for people with those qualities, no one deliberately looks for a loser...