• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hatrick with 2 balls

Matt79

Global Moderator
Not sure whether its been mentioned, but Merv took a hattrick over two innings (last two wickets to fall in the first innings, and a wicket with his first ball in the second).

I'd back a hat-trick having to be within one match, because as I understand the origin of the term, it derived from the practice of a player being given a hat AT THE END OF A MATCH if they'd taken three wickets from three balls during the match. Given the award would be conferred at the end of a match, I can't see that they would give you a hat if you got the last wicket (or last two I suppose) of the three in a second match...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Indeed - but there's no definition of such a thing anywhere in cricket as far as I'm aware (the days of the hat origin were pretty well pre-two-innings cricket anyhow - the hat was given to take around the crowd and collect money, BTW) so therefore it's open to interpret how the player desires.

Matt79

Global Moderator
In that case, hat-tricks across two innings in the one match shouldn't count, to be strict. It's a bit like the Tiger-slam in golf and the Serena-slam in tennis not really be proper grand-slams...