Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Next in line for NZ

Tim

Next in line for NZ

I've been looking through a few new faces this season and one of them kinda surprised me. He's been scoring alot of runs without really catching my attention until now, which might have been a good thing.

I have noticed that Greg Hay averages 44.85 in FC, 71.66 in OD and 37 in Twenty20...lol, not bad for a debut season! He hasn't got a hundred in any form yet but it sounds as though he's a difficult man to dislodge.

The other player who I think is really starting to come back into the frame is Rob Nicol. Very very good middle order batsman and has averaged 69 in FC this season with 2 hundreds.

Bradley John Watling has been scoring alot of runs as an opener too recently.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Would be better if this was in the NZ Black Caps or Domestic Season thread really, but nevertheless. Greg Hay needs to continue improving himself and scoring runs for Central Districts before being even remotely considered for the Black Caps or NZ A side. Nicol is a different story, he was in the NZ A team that went to Australia for the Top End series, I can't remember how well he batted but I think he should be in the NZ middle order in the future at some point.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

Tim
    sorry I couldn't find the domestic thread. If a moderator could help me out there that would be kewl.

Yeah, obviously Greg Hay has got to do his time but let's hope he doesn't get the 2nd season jitters like Nicol did.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    I've been looking through a few new faces this season and one of them kinda surprised me. He's been scoring alot of runs without really catching my attention until now, which might have been a good thing.

I have noticed that Greg Hay averages 44.85 in FC, 71.66 in OD and 37 in Twenty20...lol, not bad for a debut season! He hasn't got a hundred in any form yet but it sounds as though he's a difficult man to dislodge.

The other player who I think is really starting to come back into the frame is Rob Nicol. Very very good middle order batsman and has averaged 69 in FC this season with 2 hundreds.

Bradley John Watling has been scoring alot of runs as an opener too recently.
    Yep, I've thought Hay looks a very good prospect from what I've seen of him in the small number of televised games he has played in. I would be very surprised if both he and BJ Watling don't end up with black caps in a few years. Dave Houpapa is another but he will be called up sooner than both those too I reckon. Rob Nicol will definitely get his chance at some stage too. It's up to him whether he grabs it with two hands.
    Last edited by Fiery; 28-02-2007 at 01:39 AM.

Tim
    If i've heard correctly, Colin de Grandhomme could be a future player to watch as well. He'll have another 2 years to go yet because of residency before he can make the BC's but he'll probably need that amount of time anyway, he's still only 20 or 21 I think.

International Captain thierry henry's Avatar
    Roneel Hira ftw!

International Debutant Natman20's Avatar
    I like the looks of some of the new players coming through. I hope they can continue with their form and someday make it big. I would like to see Nicol in the squad sometime in the future after the world cup most probably.

Tim
    It feels like Nicol has been around for ages and yet he's only 23. He started playing for Auckland as a 19 year old. He's got a very good record of 6 hundreds and 15 half centuries. Definately one of the better FC players around in NZ.

Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    Nicol, Broom and Gillespie should all make their test debuts within 2 years IMO.

Not sure about Mcintosh, though. His boat may have sailed.
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    The NZTailender Supporting XI:
    H Rutherford, N Broom, Craig Cachopa, M Bracewell, D Brownlie, BJ Watling, D de Boorder+, I Sodhi, B Wheeler, H Bennett, A Milne
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

Nicol looked pretty poor from what I saw of him this week at the Basin. Was fishing around outside his off-stump a lot - but then again, a lot of Auckland batsmen were having problems with O'Brien.

O'brian is on a rampage this season. One of the best performers. It wouldn't suprise me if O'brian got a recall. MArtin would probably be picked ahead of him. (Tests by the way, neither would make it in ODIs)

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    O'Brien was just an average New Zealand seamer and looked out of his depth when he has played for the Black Caps. It's quite hard to judge seamers from NZ because all they have to do is get it in the right area and they will get plenty of scalps with the assistance of our conditions and poor techniques in regards to batsman, and they will take plenty of wickets. Yet pick them at international level and they will probably be quite ineffective beacuse they don't have any pace and can be exposed too easily.

Tim
    Greg Hay 66 and 106 against N.D this week.

Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    His maiden century. Gun.

Definately a fine prospect. I don't think too many players have started as well as he has. Lets just hope he can carry on and maybe make it big someday.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information