• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England Test side for the 07 season

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
well written & argued GIMH, but i do disagree with a few key things.

Firstly Trescothick being in the side. Its very sad to me that the majority of the time recently here on CW & people i know in general don't want to see Trescothick in the set-up anymore which is TBH crazy IMHO. The man has been very successfull for such a long time & unfortunately he got this mental problem. Most likely even if he doesn't ever come back the Strauss/Cook partnership can be a pretty solid one, but for me we should be hoping that he recovers in time.

Then the much debated wicket-keeper position. I know i have gunning for Pothas to be in the side for a while now, but i don't know what the selectors will do TBH. Read even though he seems a bit out of favour with the selectors has a chance to play has does James Foster. Then young Davies who if he starts the county season well could get the nod as well

Finally the idea that Flintoff should bat @ 6 or 7 and the make up of the bowling attack whether England should play 5 bowlers or not. I personally am one of those who believes once England are at full-strenght a 5 man attack of Harmison/Hoggard/Flintoff/Jones/Panesar is as lethal as they come, but then again the debate of the ``# 8 position`` arises thats why maybe 4-bowlers may be the go.

So once all are fit i'll go for:

Trescothick
Strauss
Vaughan
Bell
Pietersen
Collingwood
Flintoff
Davies
Jones
Hoggard
Panesar

genesis21710

Cricket Spectator
Watching the CB series.. i like the look of Chris Tremlett. Good Action and good pace.. consider?

Note: i am an aussie

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Watching the CB series.. i like the look of Chris Tremlett. Good Action and good pace.. consider?

Note: i am an aussie
I think you should probably write and tell his dad that. We were beginning to think that there was no-one.

Woolmer is interested in the coaching role - that would be a good step. Successful as Fletcher has been, I'm starting to feel things are a little stale now, and a new direction/approach/focus would benefit everyone.

pasag

RTDAS
Surely Moody is favourite for the role, should he leave SL after the World Cup. He hasn’t given any indication of his plans but as everyone knows, his contract runs out after the WC. It’s all speculation for now, but my money is firmly on him going to England later this year. Still only speculation at this stage though.

If England can’t get him, they should stick with Fletcher imo. I'm not a fan of getting rid of a coach as a knee jerk reaction to poor performances, the coach should only be sacked, imo, when there is someone better on the market.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
Well argued and I agree with most of it (I'm sure Aussies might wonder how most of a team that gets stuffed 5-0 gets picked but they are the best we've got). I hate saying this because I sound like a broken record but I'd have Foster in instead of Read, I'd give Harmison another chance provided he's bowling well in CC (I imagine he'll be playing for Durham as he's gave up ODIs) - bear in mind that after 2004 he is the last guy WI will want to face and at least he'll have match practice - perhaps he should train with Newcastle again.:laugh:
My one worry is with Vaughan's appaling fitness record we have to plan for him being injured. That's why I'd have Strauss as captain and not Vaughan - even if the latter is fit. Yes Strauss could break a finger too but its far more likely Vaughan will get injured and chamging the captaincy is as useful with a good team as it was with the crap team of 1988. But if we're playing six batsmen (correctly IMO) who replaces Vaughan if he's injured? Two options IMO - play Shah at 3 (he did perfectly well there at Mumbai last year) or play Joyce at 6 and move Bell up to 3. Both have a good case but I'd have Joyce for the option of a lefty in middle-order.
Two players I'll mention not for this summer but should (if Tom Moody -I hope!) has any sense - be on the way to Sri Lanka later this year are Steven Davies - the long term solution to the 'keeping problem - and young Rashid of Yorkshire - a leg spinner - assuming he survives second season syndrone he should be Monty's partner in SL (we'll need two spinners there.)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Woolmer is interested in the coaching role - that would be a good step.
What a brilliant idea - an Englishman as coach of England... remind me again how many non-Australians have had any real success with their own national team?
Successful as Fletcher has been, I'm starting to feel things are a little stale now, and a new direction/approach/focus would benefit everyone.
Why are things stale with Fletcher? What has been working in the past that isn't working now?

What, precisely, is this new direction you have in mind? What would you like approached differently? What needs to be focused-on that isn't being?

Unless you're clear about all 4 of those answers, I don't see how you can make such suggestions.