• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Forgotten Cricketers?

amokk1

U19 12th Man
What about the Indian players...Bangar, Balaji, Parthiv patel, R Gavaskar, Jacob Martin, Akash Chopra, Ramesh, Mongia?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Has anyone mentioned Bob Holland? Leg spinner for NSW and Australia in the mid 80's? Looked like he could have been your best friend's father. He got a 10 wicket match haul on debut against the West Indies at the SCG in 1984/5. He faded away a couple of seasons later but not before winning a couple more Test matches almost singlehandedly.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/Cricket/Spinners-famous-hot-streak/2004/12/31/1104344987758.html
He was 37 or something on Test debut though wasn't he? And wasn't at all unusual in being a 30-odd spinner making Australian Test debut around the time.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
who are some great yet forgotten cricketers in your opinion.

i think Roger Twose of New Zeland is a great forgotten cricketer
I am amazed at some of the names mentioned here - most of them in fact.

There is a great mouse in a great corner of the great garden outside my great appartment block in the great townhip where I live , in this greatest of all cities of the world - Thane

:dry:

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Some years ago, I attended an exhibition match with WIndies past stars from Guyana such as Clive Lloyd, Lance Gibbs, Colin Croft, Faoud Bacchus and Basil Butcher.

After the match, fans went about their pavilion asking for autographs. They bypassed Basil Butcher whom they obviously never heard about. Poor chap, kept remarking ' does no one want my autograph ? ' . And the fans looked at him strange, not knowing of a batsman who contributed solidly to WIndian batting of yore.

Sad indeed.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I am amazed at some of the names mentioned here - most of them in fact.

There is a great mouse in a great corner of the great garden outside my great appartment block in the great townhip where I live , in this greatest of all cities of the world - Thane

:dry:
Would imagine most have simply responded without considering that word in the initial post TBH.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Some years ago, I attended an exhibition match with WIndies past stars from Guyana such as Clive Lloyd, Lance Gibbs, Colin Croft, Faoud Bacchus and Basil Butcher.

After the match, fans went about their pavilion asking for autographs. They bypassed Basil Butcher whom they obviously never heard about. Poor chap, kept remarking ' does no one want my autograph ? ' . And the fans looked at him strange, not knowing of a batsman who contributed solidly to WIndian batting of yore.

Sad indeed.
If people seriously wanted Faoud Bacchus' autograph before Basil's they need their heads examined.

I'd not recognise anyone other than Lloyd and Gibbs from that lot mind.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Don, I know what happened to Dion...

Don was hardly 'great'...good domestic bowler though, good workhorse who was mentioned as a possible bolter for Australia a couple of times, then vanished.

subshakerz

International Coach
Mohammad Zahid from Pakistan. He took 11 wickets on debut, and Lara called him the fastest bowler he's seen. Back injuries came and suddenly he's a memory.

sunilreddy

Banned
Lee Germon, M Nagam(South African fast bowler who made a impressive start to his career but left out due to lack of Calcium in his bones), Franklyn Rose, Peter Martin(England) and a long list to follow

Olwe

School Boy/Girl Captain
some fegotting crcket palyers who have great records are people likes of peter may who succesfully sucseeded Len Huton but had to resighn due to illness and teh bower of Tony Lock who was one of teh best left arm spinners ever!

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator

Sad indeed.
On the Colin Croft note, I was mildly surprised to notice he'd taken up a teaching post - Maths and Sport - at a Prep School in the South of England.

Whoever would have thought that his career path would converge so closely with mine...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You share a passion for psychopathic short-pitched deliveries, too, remember. Ask some Australia or England batsman from around 1979\80 and Mike Wilkinson.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
You share a passion for psychopathic short-pitched deliveries, too, remember. Ask some Australia or England batsman from around 1979\80 and Mike Wilkinson.
No, I just wanted to injure you. I'm sure Mr Croft would feel the same.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It wasn't me who complained about your Bouncers, remember? I egged you on.

It was Wilko who felt endangered.

sideshowtim

Banned

Sad indeed.
Awww :( I'd want his autograph. Poor guy.

neville cardus

International Debutant
M Nagam(South African fast bowler who made a impressive start to his career but left out due to lack of Calcium in his bones)
Injury-prone as a leper, that one. I remember him remarking before one of his innumerable comebacks -- and I use the term loosely -- that he might well be hitting 170kph by season's end.