• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Carl Hooper, so much talent, but so few starring performances to show for it

miheershah

Cricket Spectator
Carl Hooper was agreat player but a Lolly Pop Bowler as famously described repeatedly be Geoffery Boycott...However he was one one the few Carribean player whose commitment was in doubt he did not play in world cup as he was enjoying his honeymoon with his australian wife.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Carl Hooper's bowling was much-underrated.

There have certainly been many far worse fingerspinners, especially in the one-day game.

howardj

International Coach
One of the few men, as I understand it, not to wear a thigh pad during his career.

I'm another.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
As I remember Sherwin Campbell and Matthew Horne didn't either.

The similarity extends, obviously, to grilles, though that also includes James Adams.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Had talent but wasted. I agree with Liam's comparison to Marlon Samuels. Seems to have been improving in recent times. Hopefully this whole matchfixing fiasco doesn't ruin that. Anyway my most prevalent memory of Hooper was in the 20003 WC after Sarwan had been taken to the hospital. Got out first balll when the game was on the line.

open365

International Vice-Captain
Despite his lower than perhaps expected average, Hooper holds the accolade of being the only cricketer in the world to have scored 5000 runs, taken 100 wickets, 100 catches and received 100 caps in both ODIs and Tests.

Crickey.

dass

Banned
the reason i started this thread is because Carl Hooper's destiny kinda reminds me of my own destiny, because i think i wasted so much potential that i had.