• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

most boring batsman in history to watch

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Stumped said:
Jacques Rudolf on the fifth day of (imnot sure wat test it was) agaisnt Australia
Great innings IMO. Really took the "you're not getting me out" attitude and stuck it through. Certainly not boring.

Collingwood gets my vote, even though he is one of my favourite players. He scores pretty slowly in test cricket and even his defensive shots look ordinary and untechnical. I love his resolve though.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Yeah he's up there.

Personally I don't find batsmen who simply score slowly boring. Dravid isn't boring, Hussey certianly isn't boring, and Kallis isn't really boring either. If they're batting well, that's the main thing. I don't find stonewalling tailenders like Hoggard or Gillespie that boring to watch either. Actually Gillespie's been great fun to watch with the bat over the years. His innings at Chennai in 2004 was classic. Watching someone score runs against the odds is always fun, whether they are a tailender or a top order bat from Zimbabwe or Bangladesh.

You need a combination of mediocre, disappointing batting and lack of strokeplay to be dull to watch, and Prince is certainly up there. Chopra was pretty horrid as well.
Good point.

My most boring list

• Boeta
  • Healy
  • Taufiq Umer

Stumped

Banned
i reckon im pretty boring on the weekends, i stay in for awhile as im opener i cant put away there opening bowlers but when/if i get down to there 2nd and 3rd change bowlers the runs flow

burr

State Vice-Captain
Originally Posted by Mr Mxyzptlk
And yet he typically scores faster than Slater, Strauss and Gibbs.

Still doesn't mean he can't be boring to watch. I find watching Hayden pretty boring, and he scores fairly quickly.
Exactly. I don't care how fast he scores - he's got no style - and thus, I'm not interested.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah he's up there.

Personally I don't find batsmen who simply score slowly boring. Dravid isn't boring, Hussey certianly isn't boring, and Kallis isn't really boring either. If they're batting well, that's the main thing. I don't find stonewalling tailenders like Hoggard or Gillespie that boring to watch either. Actually Gillespie's been great fun to watch with the bat over the years. His innings at Chennai in 2004 was classic. Watching someone score runs against the odds is always fun, whether they are a tailender or a top order bat from Zimbabwe or Bangladesh.

You need a combination of mediocre, disappointing batting and lack of strokeplay to be dull to watch, and Prince is certainly up there. Chopra was pretty horrid as well.
What do you mean by 'disappointing' batting?

albo97056

U19 Cricketer
What do you mean by 'disappointing' batting?
I imagine they mean shots not getting of the square, not hitting gaps etc

Hoggards got to be up there surely! And terry duffin is definitely one for not hitting off the square :laugh:

Grr double post, pressed submit twice cos its so slow!

R_D

International Debutant
Still doesn't mean he can't be boring to watch. I find watching Hayden pretty boring, and he scores fairly quickly.
yeah same here... he scores pretty fast pace yet.. i get so bored watchign him bat, I'd rather watch Langer than Hayden. Did someone say Damian Martyn was boring ?.. one of the most elegant batsman to watch when he's on song.

DCC_legend

International Regular
OK so I'm sure we all agree that it pretty much comes down to five obvious choices.

1. Matthew Hoggard.
2. Boycott
3. Atherton
4. Paul Collingwood
5. Ian Bell

Pick one.
hoggard definetly
never seen boycott play so i wouldnt know
atherton never seen him play either
collys a bit boring sometimes but probably not the most boring
Ian bell is class i dont think hes boring at all. Hes got a good range of shots and likes to drive the ball and is very good at timing the ball of front and back foot.
Mohammed yousuf can be quite boring at times!

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
It's a myth that Geoff Boycott was always boring to watch. It's true he was once dropped after making 246* in eleven hours against India in the late 60's. If any of the current crop were capable of batting for that long they would be given a ten year contract and access to the Chairman's wife.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's a myth that Geoff Boycott was always boring to watch. It's true he was once dropped after making 246* in eleven hours against India in the late 60's. If any of the current crop were capable of batting for that long they would be given a ten year contract and access to the Chairman's wife.
How can it be a myth if i's purely down to opinion?