Thread: Where does Hayden sit amongst Australia's slip/gully fieldsmen?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!

Where does Hayden sit amongst Australia's slip/gully fieldsmen?

IMO he has to be up there in the top 5 of all time. It is a part of his game that usually goes under the radar and is taken for granted. He can field from 1st slip around to gully for the quicks and slots in to 1st slip for Warne. I can't remember the last time he dropped a catch and he has taken some beauties.

One of the best.
    Cricketweb Colts Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Hayden > Lehmann
    I'm a member of Club Kerry

I'm Green

The color of immortality, nature and envy - you are truly a unique person. While clearly the color of nature, you also symbolize rebirth, fertility and hope in the world. On the other side of the spectrum, a natural aptitude to money with green coming to signify money and possibly even *********!

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Very highly I would think, mainly due to his versatility. As you said his fielding to Warne at 1st slip is top rate and also in the gully to the quick bowlers is very good. Definately right up there with the top cordon fielders.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

Yes Hayden's catching is highly impressive and is a bit underrated I feel. He's far better than Warne (who is not a great slipper despite what some say) and if he wasn't such a superb gully fieldsman he'd be great at first slip.
    'It is hard to recall a batsman quite so serene, so unrushed, so unflappable.' Chris Ryan on ... look to the left. Ahhhh.

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    yeah, I remember a couple of stunners he took to dismiss Lara last season in Australia. Given the way Lara looked while he was at the crease, I tend to think that Hayden's catching played a not so insignificant part in Australia winning that series with that much ease.

Def. the best gully fielder in the world, for me. And what is surprising for such a big man is that he really does get low down very well to be able to catch some really tricky ones. That is another hole that will need to be filled when he calls it a day, I think.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani
    Def. the best gully fielder in the world, for me. And what is surprising for such a big man is that he really does get low down very well to be able to catch some really tricky ones. That is another hole that will need to be filled when he calls it a day, I think.
    Not just him either, Justin Langer is pretty solid around the same area's and when those two and Shane Warne retire the cordon could be pretty fresh but would most likely be Ponting, Hussey and Clarke.

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    doesn't Langer field at short leg mostly?

all true, his contribution there is very under-rated. I'd rate him third behind Taylor & Junior Waugh as top behind the wicket fieldsmen.

Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani
    doesn't Langer field at short leg mostly?
    Used to most of time, but he was advised not to field there anymore for reasons i can't remember. Usually he is around 3rd slip early on then later anywhere else in the outfield.

Constantly getting hit in the head would be the reason I think. Hayden probably sits just behind Bob Simpson in the list of great slippers for Australia.
    Stedders' Supported XI (in batting order)
    NJ Kruger, *SM Katich, LA Carseldine, MEK Hussey, Mohammad Ashraful, NT Broom, AA Noffke, +Mushfiqur Rahim, Mashrafe Mortaza, DE Bollinger, WAP Mendis.

CricketWeb Black!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    I think Ponting forgot to take his Swiss Ulti-Vites when he was on 99 not out.
    RIP Fardin.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie
    Used to most of time, but he was advised not to field there anymore for reasons i can't remember. Usually he is around 3rd slip early on then later anywhere else in the outfield.
    Langer was told by doctors if he gets hit on the head again he could be in danger of losing his life. He's been hit at short leg a fair few times.

He's no Bob Simpson, Mark Taylor or Mark Waugh, but he's very good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Bob Simpson, Mark Taylor, Shane Warne, Ricky Poning and Matthew Hayden are Aussies best ever slippers imo, in no order really.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

Thread Information