• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Marketing cricket.

Should cricket try to do a better job marketing?

• Yes, they should market cricket more like baseball.

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Yes,they should try to get more people around the world, apart from the former colonies, interested.

Votes: 10 52.6%
  • They are doing ok...but marketing still needs improvement.

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • No...they are doing well...people other than expats or from the former colonies wouldn't bother.

Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters

LA ICE-E

State Captain
why don't they ever release cricket games for the americas....i'm sure there's quite a bit of people that would buy it even if not as much as other places...like madden is released everywhere even though A. Football its only played in usa n canada mainly.....that could even introduce some new people to the sport....cricket is not being marketed well in my opinion...cricket games,outfits,etc. should be marketed everywhere and should be done right...look at the NY yankees cap....everyones wearing it even people from countries that dont event play baseball...there should be more comercials to put hype into cricket events...cricket should do a better job marketing and try to reach more people than just the former colonies & expats instead try to put interest into new peoples minds that never hard of cricket before...cricket should be marketed better......

Dravid

International Captain
Why is everyone after improving the importance of Cricket in America...you talk like America is the promise land or something.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I am 100% sure that if America was to become one of the leading test playing nations, then it would bring nothing but good to the world cricket scene.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
Dravid said:
Why is everyone after improving the importance of Cricket in America...you talk like America is the promise land or something.
its not just america but everyother place that doesnt know what cricket is

Kriketer

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
True, America could bring lots of fortune to cricket, but the fact is cricket (especially Test cricket) can never overcome other sports in US. ICC should concentrate more on associate countries, and other countries like China, Japan other than wasting time on US.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
even if test doesn't catch on in USA 20/20 will very well compete with the rest....but for now CHINA is the promise land

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
They are doing alright, cricket is slowly becoming big in China and we all know what potential that country has. I've always wondered why the USA hasn't caught onto the idea of cricket like the other British colonies did, although it probably has something to do with the fact that the USA shunned the monarchy and British "control" whereas the other colonies stuck with it for quite a while.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
US wanted it be its own it didnt want to have british influence...that why it's always doing its own thing...its not a bad thing but is missing out on a good game...

Perm

It certainly has but with the popularity of American Football, Baseball, Basketball and Hockey I don't think the people of the USA would be too willing to embrace another sport. it seems to me that either you're not a fan of sports, you're kinda into all of those sports or you are incredibly passionate about one of these sports. I would like to be able to buy cricket cards that go up in value the longer you have them, then you can trade them to get ones you don't have. Quite a good idea I feel.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
Perm said:
It certainly has but with the popularity of American Football, Baseball, Basketball and Hockey I don't think the people of the USA would be too willing to embrace another sport. it seems to me that either you're not a fan of sports, you're kinda into all of those sports or you are incredibly passionate about one of these sports. I would like to be able to buy cricket cards that go up in value the longer you have them, then you can trade them to get ones you don't have. Quite a good idea I feel.
im into cricket hundred percent just because i was in bangladesh for while after i was born and came back...im not passionate into any of the other sports although i play a.football and bball they are all good except baseball and hockey...but point is there's too many choices of sports in the usa so its going to be hard for cricket....

Dravid

International Captain
Basically for the people of US, Cricket is too long of a game. No American sport normally goes one for more than 3 hours. Reason Baseball is much more popular in the US, and Cricket isn't is because Baseball ends much quicker than Cricket. They just don't have patience to play an ODI that lasts 6-8 hours, or a test match that lasts 5 days. I can tell you this much that as far as I'm alive, Cricket in USA will never get test status, and even if they do by mistake, it will probably be the most diverse Cricketing nation with majority of the Cricketers born outside of US.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
Dravid said:
Basically for the people of US, Cricket is too long of a game. No American sport normally goes one for more than 3 hours. Reason Baseball is much more popular in the US, and Cricket isn't is because Baseball ends much quicker than Cricket. They just don't have patience to play an ODI that lasts 6-8 hours, or a test match that lasts 5 days. I can tell you this much that as far as I'm alive, Cricket in USA will never get test status, and even if they do by mistake, it will probably be the most diverse Cricketing nation with majority of the Cricketers born outside of US.
I don't think even if they do play test that their players will be born outside the US because there's enough expats that play cricket here and some influence their friends....but test is way too far stretched...may be ODI status....but you know how all sports thats popular in the US is only 3 hours or less well some smart guy came with the idea of 20/20!!!!it's only 3 hours so 20/20 might actually do cricket some good!!!

Dravid

International Captain
LA ICE-E said:
I don't think even if they do play test that their players will be born outside the US because there's enough expats that play cricket here and some influence their friends....but test is way too far stretched...may be ODI status....but you know how all sports thats popular in the US is only 3 hours or less well some smart guy came with the idea of 20/20!!!!it's only 3 hours so 20/20 might actually do cricket some good!!!
Live in US my self, and I know majority of the players in the Atlantic division cricket team are born outside of US. I don't follow California region Cricket. Club Cricket also in NY, NJ is filled with players born outside of US.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
Only half tickets sold to date.........
http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/wc2007/content/story/270892.html
there's always been a problem selling tickets for the world cup....i mean come on it's the biggest thing in cricket and we are still going to have empty seats?....thats pathetic....all games should atleast be 90% sold out, even the minnow games....they should market and adjust the prices according to the teams involved...but no games in the world cup should have more the half the seats empty like the ones in the 2003 world cup...even the final wasn't sold out and filled...

LA ICE-E

State Captain
last world cup only sold 626,845 tickets people out of an overall capacity of 825,000, which is almost 200,000 less the the full capacity.....thats just bad marketing..... http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/ci/content/story/130714.html

when baseball classic sold 737,112 tickets out of 800,000, which is only about 50,000 less than the full capacity and it was there 1st one so they didnt really get enough spot light that they wanted but still beat the cricket world cup http://ww2.worldbaseballclassic.com/2006/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060321&content_id=1358067&vkey=wbc_news&fext=.jsp&sid=wbc

this sucks cricket needs to do whole lot better at marketing

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
LA ICE-E said:
Only half tickets sold to date.........
http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/wc2007/content/story/270892.html
there's always been a problem selling tickets for the world cup....i mean come on it's the biggest thing in cricket and we are still going to have empty seats?....thats pathetic....all games should atleast be 90% sold out, even the minnow games....they should market and adjust the prices according to the teams involved...but no games in the world cup should have more the half the seats empty like the ones in the 2003 world cup...even the final wasn't sold out and filled...
There is never going to be 90% capacity for a game between Scotland and the Netherlands.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
SirBloody Idiot said:
There is never going to be 90% capacity for a game between Scotland and the Netherlands.
if its done right yes it will, may be make it supper cheap or more advertisement in the participating countries and minor countries should play in small stadiums (seats wise) so it doesn't look as bad as last time

Perm

It would be very hard for advertising to get you say 10,000 people to watch an ODI between the Nethlerands and Scotland, there just isn't the interest really. Even if it was marketed very well and the prices were cheap the people's interest isn't as high as it needs to be.