• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Michael Hussey - best ODI batsman in the world?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Worst captain in the world. He lost to the West Indies. Pathetic. Drop him. (please :unsure: )
His captaincy was distinctly average, but I think we'll hang on to him anyway.

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
Steulen said:
That's becoming a bigger mystery by the day. How can someone so good be ignored for so long?
Made lots of runs in England but never piled them up for WA to the same extent as Lehmann and the others that came before him did in Australian domestic cricket.

Slow Love™

International Captain
age_master said:
Bevan batted selfishly in alot of the innings he did play, particularly later in his career.
I wouldn't quite say that - I think it was more the case that he lost his mojo (albeit temporarily, maybe if you consider his Tasmanian domestic career).

But Bevo always had a problem when the scoring rate needed to escalate into the 9-10 run an over range, because he wasn't a real power hitter. IMO, as the batting lineup got stronger and stronger, he became substantially less important to our fortunes. The pace of scoring in general has just accelerated a great deal in recent years, and the times suited him less. Mind you, he frequently had a tendency to get a little bogged down early in his innings, sometimes getting temporarily stuck hitting straight to fielders before he started picking the gaps.

So, what are people's opinions as to how Hussey fared with the captaincy (in some kind of detail) today? I didn't see any of the match... Did he look in control, and how well did he handle the bowlers?

R_D

International Debutant
One word to describe the guy " FREAK ".

He's definately the best ODI batsman going around at the moment but it would be interesting to see how rest of his career pans out. He hasn't been around for very long we'll see how he goes after teams around the world have had a good look of him.

Good player thou can keep the score board ticking over without havign to resort to risky shots and he can certainly accelerate towards the end of teh innings as well.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Hussey's over-rated for mine. Fantastic batsman, but one whose average has been drastically inflated by a lot of not-outs, and who is simply in an extended run of good form, a la Vaughan 2002.

He needs to bat higher than six or seven for me to even consider calling him the best ODI batsman in the world - I'd bet money that if Kevin Pietersen batted seven his record wouldn't be much worse, and likewise Ponting, Lara and a few others.

Like I said, though, fantastic batsman. :)

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Barney Rubble said:
Hussey's over-rated for mine. Fantastic batsman, but one whose average has been drastically inflated by a lot of not-outs, and who is simply in an extended run of good form, a la Vaughan 2002.

He needs to bat higher than six or seven for me to even consider calling him the best ODI batsman in the world - I'd bet money that if Kevin Pietersen batted seven his record wouldn't be much worse, and likewise Ponting, Lara and a few others.

Like I said, though, fantastic batsman. :)
How much have you seen him bat in the last year, out of curiosity?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Slow Love™ said:
So, what are people's opinions as to how Hussey fared with the captaincy (in some kind of detail) today? I didn't see any of the match... Did he look in control, and how well did he handle the bowlers?
I thought he made a handful of errors, but obviously they're just a matter of opinion. I think he should have brought on Cullen as soon as he delayed the last power play instead of using Symonds' mediums. He certainly should have taken Clark off earlier in his second spell, and I think he should have brought him back at the death when the Windies needed 17 off 30 or whatever instead of bowling Symonds again.

I think he seemed to not know what to do some of the time. I'd be much happier with Ponting or Gilchrist leading the side next time, that's for sure.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
How much have you seen him bat in the last year, out of curiosity?
Admittedly not a lot. :ph34r: Highlights packages here and there, never a full game due to the lack of coverage over here. Which is why I'm basing most of my argument on his stats - I don't have a lot more to go on (thing that gets me is that he's been not out in over half his ODI innings). However, you guys all seem pretty convinced by him, so I'll make an effort to see him soon if I can - knowing me I'll probably be forced to take back everything I've just said. :)

EDIT: Btw, Sean, do you ever sleep? :p

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Barney Rubble said:
Admittedly not a lot. :ph34r: Highlights packages here and there, never a full game due to the lack of coverage over here. Which is why I'm basing most of my argument on his stats - I don't have a lot more to go on (thing that gets me is that he's been not out in over half his ODI innings). However, you guys all seem pretty convinced by him, so I'll make an effort to see him soon if I can - knowing me I'll probably be forced to take back everything I've just said. :)
He's not out in half in his innings because he makes himself almost impossible to dismiss, as I'd imagine you'd remember from the ODIs in England last year. Take today for instance - he came in at 4/60 and batted for over 30 overs without giving a chance, and in the last 5 overs of the innings he scored 33 runs on his own. There's been other times where he's come in with 5 overs left and been not out with a strike rate over 200. Being not out in half his innings would only be a drawback if he was playing for not outs, which he certainly doesn't.

Anyway, it's only 2am here. :p

Slow Love™

International Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
I thought he made a handful of errors, but obviously they're just a matter of opinion. I think he should have brought on Cullen as soon as he delayed the last power play instead of using Symonds' mediums. He certainly should have taken Clark off earlier in his second spell, and I think he should have brought him back at the death when the Windies needed 17 off 30 or whatever instead of bowling Symonds again.

I think he seemed to not know what to do some of the time. I'd be much happier with Ponting or Gilchrist leading the side next time, that's for sure.
Haha, fair enough, although Ponting's still like that fairly often, IMO, only with loads more experience. But I think our respective positions on Punter are obviously pretty settled by now.

You're probably right about Clark, although the prime motivating factor there was possibly just protection of his figures. In a way it's always puzzled me how often that happens at this level, but it's one of those funny aspects of the friendship and loyalty that can exist within sporting teams, as opposed to the hardcore professionalism that's affected so much of the game. I must say though that poor Bing rarely seems to get that kind of relief, no matter how bad things are going... :)

Barney Rubble

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
He's not out in half in his innings because he makes himself almost impossible to dismiss, as I'd imagine you'd remember from the ODIs in England last year. Take today for instance - he came in at 4/60 and batted for over 30 overs without giving a chance, and in the last 5 overs of the innings he scored 33 runs on his own. There's been other times where he's come in with 5 overs left and been not out with a strike rate over 200. Being not out in half his innings would only be a drawback if he was playing for not outs, which he certainly doesn't.

Anyway, it's only 2am here. :p
Fair enough then. :)

But if he's that good, the question must be asked - why isn't he batting four for Australia behind Ponting? I can't see a reason why it wouldn't benefit you to have Symonds down at six with Watson at seven, with Ponting-Hussey-Clarke at 3-4-5.

open365

International Vice-Captain
The thing that's so special about Hussey for me is that he's so good all round.

When you watch him play, you can't really think of anyway you can get him out or stop him scoring, his technique is brilliant for scoring runs in all areas and situations and the ability he has to pick up the singles AND hit the big boundaries is scary.

It's like having the rotating the strike ability of Andy Flower, the big hitting of Shaid Afridi and the all round class of Ponting/Tendulkar all in one.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
open365 said:
The thing that's so special about Hussey for me is that he's so good all round.

When you watch him play, you can't really think of anyway you can get him out or stop him scoring, his technique is brilliant for scoring runs in all areas and situations and the ability he has to pick up the singles AND hit the big boundaries is scary.

It's like having the rotating the strike ability of Andy Flower, the big hitting of Shaid Afridi and the all round class of Ponting/Tendulkar all in one.
Holy ****. :laugh:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Barney Rubble said:

But if he's that good, the question must be asked - why isn't he batting four for Australia behind Ponting? I can't see a reason why it wouldn't benefit you to have Symonds down at six with Watson at seven, with Ponting-Hussey-Clarke at 3-4-5.
Because Clarke and Hussey are so good down the order. Basically, if Hussey was batting at 4, someone like Martyn or Watson would have to bat down the order where they are less effective. Hussey can always come up the order when necessary, but at 7 he's perfect because he is so versatile. He can rescue the innings like he did today, or he can come in and hit from the very first ball to raise the run rate. Watson is much better at 4 because he takes time to get into his innings and he only has so many gears.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Barney Rubble said:
Holy ****. :laugh:
It's only a bit of an exaggeration. One thing which really underlined Hussey's class last season for me was that game where Murali went for 99 or whatever off his 10 overs. Symonds and Ponting had made huge scores and Clarke had hit a 50 off 30 or whatever, and Hussey came in facing Murali in like the 49th over and slog-swept the first ball he faced for six. He finished unbeaten with 23 runs off 8 balls. This is the same guy who was the only person who could handle the seaming wickets in England, and the guy who rescued the innings a few times in that same VB series after the team collapsed.

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
on current form he is the best, if he can keep it up by the end of his career & be ranked among the all time ODI greats will be interesting but i think he really can.

On his captaincy wasn't special nor was it poor, only big mistake i thought he made was when he used his final power-play & put Clark to bowl in it, other than that he was pretty good.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
It's only a bit of an exaggeration. One thing which really underlined Hussey's class last season for me was that game where Murali went for 99 or whatever off his 10 overs. Symonds and Ponting had made huge scores and Clarke had hit a 50 off 30 or whatever, and Hussey came in facing Murali in like the 49th over and slog-swept the first ball he faced for six. He finished unbeaten with 23 runs off 8 balls. This is the same guy who was the only person who could handle the seaming wickets in England, and the guy who rescued the innings a few times in that same VB series after the team collapsed.
oh yeah? he is playing brilliantly but comparing him to an amalgam of ponting and tendulkar doesn't sound like a bit much to you?8-)

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Barney Rubble said:

Watson is fairly useless in the lower order. He needs to bat in the order or he is essentially wasted.

The reason Hussey has remained at seven batting below Clarke and is simply the fact that he's been so successful at it. There is little reason to move the guy - he finishes the innings so well.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hussey & Clarke are the 2 best finishers in ODI cricket IMO. Moving them higher up the Order than Watson, Martyn & Symmo would be a huge mistake. As it has already been mentioned, Watson needs time to settle, thats the case for Symmo as well.

In years leading up to the 03 world cup symonds had been batting down at 7, putting him in the same position as Hussey. Whilst he may have been a huge hitter he needs time to get his eye in. Take note of his century against SL in the 2nd VB series final, his strike rate was down in the 70's for most of the innings until he cut sick when he reached 90 odd.

Martyn is too one paced. He doesn't have the ability to accelerate that either clarke or hussey do, he's probably more a bevan type player than hussey is for the fact that he's so good at rotating the strike, but like bevan doesn't have the ability of hussey to go up a level and score 10/12 runs an over.

Keep Hussey at 7, he's currently eating all opposition bowlers there for breakfast. Whether he's stabilising the innings after an early collapse, or finishing of the work already done by those ahead of him, he's the most dangerous ODI bat in the world!!!

C_C

International Captain
Promising guy but the best ODI player ever tag is still firmly between Tendulkar and Viv.