• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket on YouTube

SeamUp

International Coach
Watched this today. Obviously watched the ESPN one's and now watched all these.

Hadlee. Man, what a bowler.

SeamUp

International Coach
Love how Clive Rice said above that he focused on his bowling while Hadlee focused on his batting. Easy game this cricket as all-rounders.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
His exploits with his county were unbelievable.

For Nottinghamshire, on often overgrassed Trent Bridge pitches, he gained some analyses that are remarkable in an era of covered pitches, notably his eight for 22 against Surrey in 1984. He represented Nottinghamshire between 1978 and 1987, but played only three full seasons due to injuries and Test calls. However, his bowling figures for those three seasons were quite remarkable:

1981: 4252 balls, 231 maidens, 1564 runs, 105 wickets for 14.89 each.
1984: 4634 balls, 248 maidens, 1645 runs, 117 wickets for 14.05 each.
1987: 3408 balls, 186 maidens, 1154 runs, 97 wickets for 11.89 each (the lowest average since 1969).

In those three seasons he was voted the PCA Player of the Year by his peers of the Professional Cricketers' Association (PCA). He won The Cricket Society Wetherall Award for the Leading All-Rounder in English First-Class Cricket in 1982, 1984, 1986 and 1987.

In the 1984 county season, Hadlee completed a feat rare in the modern age by doing the county 'double' – scoring 1000 runs and taking 100 wickets in the same season. Hadlee, and his immediate successor at Nottinghamshire Franklyn Stephenson, are the only two players to achieve this feat in English county cricket since the number of county games per season was reduced in 1969. The runs component of the double included Hadlee's highest first class score, 210* in a victory over Middlesex at Lord's. In 1987, his swan song, he narrowly missed the double as Nottinghamshire won the County Championship as they had in 1981. Hadlee's contribution with ball and bat to both and their other triumphs was immense. They next won the championship in 2005 with fellow Kiwi Stephen Fleming in charge.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Hadlee

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I have really fond memories of this innings. Was watching it live with a couple of guys who'd never watched cricket before and the moment they saw Lara run down the pitch and smash kaneria out of the ground, they were completely enthralled. That follow through is one of the most glorious sights in cricket history.

One of (if not my very favourite) my favourite KP inning's. Before he played a test. Made mince meat of Australia's attack. Pietersen won so many games for England it was amazing thinking back. Even before he played a test he was winning games. That wasn't happening back then. Different era. Cricket has moved on. But what he did back then was special on many occasions.

Last edited:

Imperious Warne. I do respect him for how he played. The strain that must have put on his body is incredible. The most intense spinner we will probably ever see. I do not think there will ever be a greatest leg spinner in the history of the game.