• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Asif vs Umar Gul?

Better bowler?

• Total voters

Xuhaib

International Coach
honestbharani said:
I would rate Asif above Gul quite easily. I think Gul tends to be rather inconsistent with his line and length now and then and I am not sure if he has the natural inswinger that Asif bowls so well as a change to the normal outswinger.
Gul also have all the toys (a word used by Deano) that Asif have but the difference is Asif uses them much better then Gul and dont forget Gul is better at reverse swinging.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Asif by a lot. But Gul is extremely impressive for his age, should be around for a while. He and Nazir were shining lights in the Test Series.

RolledOver

U19 Debutant
Asif is way overrated, so far he has managed to get wkts against opposition on bowler's friendly pitches, but when the pitch has little for the bowler or the opposition is strong Asif turn out to be unimpressive, like the last test against England and the thrashing he had against Australia.

Also Asif doesn't have a great pace, and he isn't a Mcgrath to do wonders with such gentle pace.I think he will get expose with time when he will ply more matches.

RolledOver said:
Asif is way overrated, so far he has managed to get wkts against opposition on bowler's friendly pitches, but when the pitch has little for the bowler or the opposition is strong Asif turn out to be unimpressive, like the last test against England and the thrashing he had against Australia.
Also Asif doesn't have a great pace, and he isn't a Mcgrath to do wonders with such gentle pace.I think he will get expose with time when he will ply more matches.
Asif was brilliant in last test against England.And the thrashing that he had against Australia was on his debut,after which he was dropped from the side.But since his come back,he has been very impressive both on dead & pacer friendly wickets & has performed in almost every test.And have u forgotten that how he blew up the a$$h*l*s of our Indian batsmen in 2nd innings of Karachi test(when wicket had nothing in it for the pacers) & in both tests against Sril Lanka(where no Pakistani/SriLankan pacer succeeded other than him)?Moreover,its the Sri Lankan pacers who have the habit to get exposed & become useless with time (when they play more matches) & not the Pakistani ones.I can clearly smell jealousy from your post very clearly.

imranrabb

U19 Debutant
RolledOver said:

His 'thrashing' vs Australia came on his debut but if you take out his match there his bowling average in tests would be under 20!Overrated i think not.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
RolledOver said:

He absolutley craps on Munaf Patel.

Case closed.

FRAZ

International Captain
Some times in the future Asif might come close to Shoaib Akhtar in my personal "the greatest fast bowlers of all times list".
The best wrist position I have ever seen (After Walsh ,Holding, Mcgrath) is what Asif has and also I have seen so many pearls of wisdom and senseless posts about the swing bowling but the best swing bowler is the one who gives as much "back spin" (at the time of release) to the ball , as possible ..
Its not easy to bowl in-cutters at the speed of 85 MPH .. And don't challenge me for what I have just said about "back spin" .

Last edited:

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Jono said:
He absolutley craps on Munaf Patel.

Case closed.
:laugh: Just the mention of Munaf Patel brings back memories of "omfg Munaf Patel is the shizzle, best young bowler in the world England watch out" and such like back in March/April. :D

FRAZ

International Captain
Barney Rubble said:
:laugh: Just the mention of Munaf Patel brings back memories of "omfg Munaf Patel is the shizzle, best young bowler in the world England watch out" and such like back in March/April. :D
I do remember that two years ago (some) people were crying about the same thing , and I was quite un-easy at those statements actually . And I am still sorry about using sarcastic behaviour towards such patriotic individuals .(Although they might deserve the backlash but , People are people so we should not laugh at them Barney ) ..

Last edited:

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Umar Gul of 2004 against India was kinda close to Asif. But overall, Gul is nowhere near as good as Asif. That said, both have a lot to learn.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Umar Gul is a good bowler and was under rated for long but Asif in a different class all together. Asif has the makings of a world class bowler. His bowling belies his age and his relative lack of experience.

Greatest potential in a young bowler in the world as of today.

shortpitched713

International Captain
I think Asif has shown to be the better bowler of late, but I don't think the gulf between them is as great as some would lead us to believe. Asif has definitely been in spectacular form recently, but I don't think the difference is so great in their talent. They're quite similar bowlers IMO.

FRAZ

International Captain
Pratyush said:
Okay who told you regarding it? ;)
First of all I am a good bowler myself and I studied the initial swing sciences from Mozang Gymkhana club Lahore ,Secondly I have played Quaid-Azam u-!9 Tournament in Lahore ( initialy thought that was considered as first class game) hehe...
And again go and check any good book about conventional swing .. And mind you one's seem should be as straight as possible and with as less shaking as possible and ball should be given atleast good-length flight and the rough side should be facing towards the intended swing direction .And back spin is what makes ball skid and cut the air around it.
Thank you ..........

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
With the current proliferation of "vs" threads I thought we might have another go at this one from 18 months ago. Had I been around I'd have said Asif then as most did, and I'd still do so now. Gul seems to me to be a bowler who might or might not amount to something - I'm far less convinced of his worth than some seem to be.

ret

International Debutant
after looking at some of the old X vs Y threads, you can count on the opposite happening of whatever some of the guys post :p

funnygirl

State Regular
Asif with the new ball and helpful conditions.Umar gul is very good with the old ball reverse swinging and is better than Asif in flat pitches ,however quite way ward with the new ball.

At this time i am unable to make an opinion ,still Asif > Gul.

FRAZ

International Captain
Gul has better speed and a devastating yorker . Gul has the potential to be even faster than what he is right now. Gul's off stump line is better than Asif .
But Asif has one secret weapon which makes him way better than any of his counterparts and that is his ability to bring back the ball in with a good pace . He has the best in-cutter that I have ever seen . Venkatsh Prasad had the same sort of delivery but his pace was quite slower than Asif . Asif's that ball is so so sooooo difficult to judge and play because he completely disguises the seam position and the batsman gets a glimpse of the seam and thinks as if the ball is gonna hold it's line but instead the back spin and the momentum of tha ball makes it cut after the impact on the ground and comes in sharply and mind ya at that pace it's so so so difficult to pick up that sort of ball ..
Gul is better as far as the reverse swing is concerned but still I guess Asif is a little better than Gul although Gul has performed better than anyone else in the team recently ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvbH_T4yA1U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAp4lRoqJTE&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nYfK9fNoxw&feature=related
and my favorite is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Yi6bdejDZQ&feature=related

ret

International Debutant
Asif is losing pace .... the last I saw him was in the series against RSA .... needs to pull the pace to 140+ .... if he continues to drop pace then he could go Venky Prasad's way, who was brilliant as long as he had pace