• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

More minnows: Asian Cricket Council Trophy

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Dravid said:
I know its not ODI, but since they are members of ICC I think it would go down as limited over matches, not limited over international
Might not be, IIRC ICC Trophy matches weren't List A.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Jungle Jumbo said:
1. Are the Division One matches ODIs?
Aye, as they're matches between ODI status nations. A similar thing happened with Scotland v Ireland and the Netherlands up at the Euro Champs (and is currently going on with Canada v Bermuda at the Americas Championships. Davison helping Canada chase a stiff target.)

Jungle Jumbo said:
2. Presumably you get to keep your place in Division 3 by winning your regional tournament. What happens if you then get promoted? For example, Argentina win the South American tournament, then get promoted to Division 2. How do teams from the South American tournament then get into the World League.

Sounds good, there should be more regular competition between minor nations as a result.
There is no South American tournament, it's for the entire Americas. Besides the point tho. In Division Three, five teams are "relegated" to the regional qualifiers again, so that these regional qualifier tournaments keep happening (so, assuming Argentina gets promoted, there's still a chance for the Caymans in 2008). It's just the top three of the eight participating teams that get to keep their place in the global leagues for 2009.

However, that system is not totally confirmed yet. According to rumours circling around Norwegian cricket at the moment, Norway's win at the 2006 qualifier has given them a chance at a Division Five tournament, or at least that's what the ICC have told them. That's not published yet, though.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Jungle Jumbo said:
Might not be, IIRC ICC Trophy matches weren't List A.
Wrong. They used not to be, but they changed that from 2005. (check the cricketarchive codes).

I think ACC Trophy matches aren't List A, though.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Samuel_Vimes said:
Bah, that's nothing.

Hong Kong v Myanmar at Selangor Turf Club
HONG KONG WON BY 422 RUNS
Toss: Myanmar
Hong Kong: 442 for 2 in 50 overs (I. Ahmed 86, T. Smart 100, R. Sharma 123*, H. Butt 108*)
Myanmar: 20 all out in 13 overs (N. Amar 6-2)
Man of the Match: Rahul Sharma (Hong Kong)

Myanmar followed that up by conceding 11 in two balls to lose against Nepal.
I love those bowling figures. 0.2-0-11-0 (3w)... I think these guys must actually be below my level...

Jungle Jumbo

Seems ridiculous that some matches in a tournament are ODIs, others aren't. Kind of devalues the whole idea of the tournaments - some matches are now more important than others, where they should have the same status. Can't we have a new class of matches, List B International or something?

Rosh

School Boy/Girl Captain
Can you believe 10 all out and the game over in 2 balls. This ODI must have been over in 1 hr.

Last edited:

Rosh

School Boy/Girl Captain
NEPAL WON BY TEN WICKETS
Myanmar: 10 all out in 12.1 overs
(M.Alam 7-3; B.K.Das 3-4)
Nepal: 11 for 0 in 0.2 overs
Man of the Match: Maha**** Alam (Nepal)

How about this for a bowling figure 7 wkts for 3 runs:laugh:

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
The matches are underway - so far it's going pretty much as I expected, with the exception of Nepal, who were inserted by Bahrain and limited to 199 for nine. Qatar also seem able to cause an upset against UAE, with 104 for nought in the 22nd over chasing 351, but it's a very tall order. Afghanistan are just 72 runs away from a win against Malaysia, with nine wickets and 32 overs in hand, and Ruwan (40) and Arora (65) did help Singapore to a total of 235 for seven against Hong Kong, who are 7/0 in reply after 3 overs.

Steulen

International Regular
Ahhh...minnow talk...have to contribute.

Afghanistan has won emphatically, chasing the target down with just one wicket lost.
UAE comfortable winners also.
Nepal on the verge of winning too.

The match between Hong Kong and Singapore looks to be going Hong Kong's way, 82 runs needed with 13 overs to go and 8 wickets in hand.

Rosh

School Boy/Girl Captain
Quarter-Final 1
Qatar v U.A.E. at Royal Selangor Club
Toss: Qatar
UAE WON BY 111 RUNS
U.A.E.: 350 for 9 in 50 overs (M. Iqbal 45, A. Ali 42, K. Khan 112, R. Shehzad 46*)
Qatar: 239 in 47.5 overs (M. Jahangir 88, T.Sajjad 53; S. Silva 4-39)
Man of the Match: Khurram Khan (UAE)

Quarter-Final 2
Bahrain v Nepal at Bayuemas Oval
Toss: Bahrain
NEPAL WON BY 25 RUNS
Nepal: 200 for 9 in 50 overs (G.Malla 57, S. Gauchan 49)
Bahrain: 175 for 9 in 50 overs (A. Majeed 47, T. Dar 57*; B. Regmi 3-23)
Man of the Match: Basant Regmi (Nepal)

Quarter-Final 3
Afghanistan v Malaysia at Kinrara Oval
Toss: Malaysia
AFGHANISTAN WON BY NINE WICKETS
Malaysia: 169 all out in 48.4 overs (H.Gul 3-29, M. Nabi 3-18)
Afghanistan: 172 for 1 in 27 overs (N. Mangal 78*, A. Ahmadi 73*)
Man of the Match: Ahmad Shah Ahmadi (Afghanistan)

Quarter-Final 4
Hong Kong v Singapore at Selangor Turf Club
Toss: Singapore
HONG KONG WON BY SIX WICKETS
Singapore: 235 for 7 in 50 overs (G. Meyer 51, C. Ruwan 41 ,M. Arora 65, B. Mendis 45)
Hong Kong: 239 for 4 in 48.1 overs (R. Sharma 91*, H. Butt 100)
Man of the Match: Hussain Butt (Hong Kong)

In my view Afganistan is winning this tournament.
How much influence from Pakistan is there in Afganistan? Do Afgan players play in domestic tournaments in Pakistan? cause they sure look experienced enough to handle pressure.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Looks set for an Afghan-UAE final, qualifying the Afghanis for the WCL. What odds their making a WC before long?

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Afghanistan in a spot of bother against Hong Kong; the winner will go to the WCL Division Three as Nepal bowed out in embarrassing fashion against UAE, crashing to 103 all out and then letting Arshad loose with 75 not out. The Afghanis, meanwhile, are 82 for six chasing a meagre 158 to win.

Jungle Jumbo

Looking at the WCL structure, isn't the opposition a bit unbalanced in Division 3? You've got one decent Asian side, USA, Uganda up against the powerhouses of Argentina, Tanzania and Fiji.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Jungle Jumbo said:
Looking at the WCL structure, isn't the opposition a bit unbalanced in Division 3? You've got one decent Asian side, USA, Uganda up against the powerhouses of Argentina, Tanzania and Fiji.
You're quite right, but I suppose the other four regions stopped Asia from getting more spots (what! The Asian bloc being less powerful! This CAN NOT BE! :p ) It's a bit unfair to the Asians, though.

(actually, it's not likely to be Argentina. It'll be the Caymans, because they've beaten Canada and have a good chance of finishing ahead of Argentina on net run rate)

On the tournament: Afghanistan rebuilding, currently 105/6. Nailbiting finish in store.