• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Sri Lanka in Netherlands thread

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
Schiferli is a massive blow as he's one of the few bowlers in holland with Pace...
I don't agree, as many don't really acknowledge there dutch roots as far as I can see with afrikaaners...but who knows, hopefully by that time ive seen bits of Saf and other cricket countries :)
And I got work @ the ODI's at tim de leede's shop, which means I get in for free :D

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
oohw and on cricketeurope.com ( very good site) they said one of the ODI's will have a summary on Studio sport(biggest sports program in Holland) Which is awesome!
no live coverage though :(

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Since Netherlands have returned from the Football World Cup, is it correct to say, now all eyes will be on this ODI series between Netherlands and Sri Lanka ?:laugh:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I will be hoping for a win by Netherlands in one ODI !!:(

Kweek, has the Netherlands side been named ?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Off topic , Kweek , I have recently followed the turmoil in Dutch Politics with the resignation of the Dutch Government of Jan Peter Balkenende after the withdrawal of support by the minority party D66 over Ayaan Hirsi Ali the Somalian born MP's immigration affair . Hope all's well in the Netherlands .:)

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
Dutch national coach Peter Cantrell has sprung no surprises in naming a thirteen-man squad for the two one-day internationals against Sri Lanka next Tuesday and Thursday.

He has largely relied on the players who have recently registered victories over Denmark and MCC, and the result is an outfit with a good balance of youth and experience.

Of the side that defeated the MCC on Friday, batsmen Tom de Grooth and Atse Buurman and seamer Mark Jonkman make way for the return of skipper Luuk van Troost, Bas Zuiderent and Darron Reekers. De Grooth has, however, been added to the squad for Thursday’s game, when Essex all-rounder Ryan ten Doeschate is likely to be unavailable.

Ten Doeschate will play on Tuesday, and will add considerably to the resources at van Troost’s disposal.

There’s a recall for experienced all-rounder Billy Stelling, who missed the Intercontinental Cup match against Kenya in March through injury, and hasn’t played in the national side since. The one question mark about the squad at present concerns Darron Reekers, who has been carrying a groin injury and will undergo another fitness test on Monday.

Two young players who did well against Denmark and MCC have been rewarded with places in this squad. Batsman Eric Szwarczynski, who has opened since the injury to Maurits van Nierop and who made an unbeaten century for the Dutch A side against the MCC last week, is in line to make his ODI debut against the Sri Lankans, as is all-rounder Peter Borren, who made 85 in the same match and who has bowled steadily since breaking into the A side.

The full squad is: LP van Troost (Excelsior ’20, captain), PW Borren (VRA), DLS van Bunge (Excelsior ’20), RN ten Doeschate (Essex), Mohammad Kashif (VOC), AN Kervezee (HBS), TBM de Leede (VCC), DJ Reekers (Quick Haag), PM Seelaar (Hermes-DVS), J Smits (HCC, wicket-keeper), WF Stelling (HBS), ES Szwarczynski (VRA), and B Zuiderent (VOC). TN de Grooth (HCC) replaces ten Doeschate for Thursday’s match.

© CricketEurope
good squad, Ten Doeschate only for 1 game..should do...
Yeah Holland's fine, tis just plain stupid what D66 did, really lost all my respect for them, its not something to kill a governement for!

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
Sixteen-year-old Alexei Kervezee will become the tenth youngest ODI player of all time if he is chosen to play against Sri Lanka in the two matches in Amstelveen next week. If he takes part in the first of those games, on 4 July, he will be 16 years and 296 days old.

The youngest-ever international is reputed to be Pakistan’s Hasan Raza, whose age is given as 14 years 233 days when he was included for a match against Zimbabwe at Quetta in 1996-97. He had supposedly become the youngest Test player when he made his debut a week earlier, but Wisden warns that the claim ‘should be treated with extreme caution’, noting that Raza’s age has been rejected by the Pakistan Cricket Board.

Next in line is Mohammad Sharif of Bangladesh, who is said to have been 15 years 116 days when he played against Zimbabwe in Harare in 2000-01. Then there’s a much larger group of sixteen-year-olds, led by Aqib Javed (Pakistan) and including such distinguished company as Shahid Afridi and Sachin Tendulkar.

Kervezee was born in Walvis Bay, Namibia – long before Namibian deliveries became a fashion item among the Hollywood A list – on 11 September 1989. He made his first-class debut in an Intercontinental Cup match against Scotland in Utrecht on 29 July last year, at the age of 15 years 319 days. He has since established himself as a regular member of the Dutch side, and will become the second-youngest player to take part in a World Cup match, after Talha Jubair of Bangladesh, if he plays in any of The Netherlands’ group matches in St Kitts in March 2007.
a other interesting article
ive had the luck to train with Kervezee the past few weeks and he really is a very good cricketer allround.

chekmeout

U19 Debutant
Hey Kweek, as the only Dutch representative i can find on the forums I have a few questions for you, as in pertaining to your personal opinion:-

1) Do you honestly think Smits deserves his place in the team when it is rather clear that Buurman is a better batsman?
2) How committed is Kervezee to his cricket - because from what I saw in the Abu Dhabi tournament he is a HUGE talent for the future - great potential - He has possibly 20 years of cricket ahead of him?
3) Do you personally believe Holland have a chance of becoming a regular ODI nation, and the game slowly but steadily catching the fancy of the local indigeneous Dutch population?
4) In the absence of Schiferli, do the Dutch have any above-ordinary bowlers?

Was just interested in knowing your responses.. Cheers!

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
chekmeout said:
Hey Kweek, as the only Dutch representative i can find on the forums I have a few questions for you, as in pertaining to your personal opinion:-

1) Do you honestly think Smits deserves his place in the team when it is rather clear that Buurman is a better batsman?
2) How committed is Kervezee to his cricket - because from what I saw in the Abu Dhabi tournament he is a HUGE talent for the future - great potential - He has possibly 20 years of cricket ahead of him?
3) Do you personally believe Holland have a chance of becoming a regular ODI nation, and the game slowly but steadily catching the fancy of the local indigeneous Dutch population?
4) In the absence of Schiferli, do the Dutch have any above-ordinary bowlers?

Was just interested in knowing your responses.. Cheers!
Although Buurman is a better batsman....Buurman will get out when you need 20 with 1 wicket left..Smits won't...Buurman has potential.
2.yes. big talent and playing and training everyday, very lucky to train with him at the moment. awesome player...
3.I hope it...as part of Holland youth squads, I feel were moving forward, and are getting proffesionaler, we have a chance.
4.Schiferli is just fast...we lack real pace..but recently they decided to search and education/training for fast bowlers and focus on that. big blow though.

Lostman

State Captain
considering the form of Jayasuriya and tharanga, if Sl bat first they might be off to another 100 off 10 overs.

chekmeout

U19 Debutant
Haha you make a fair point Lostman.. but this is a great opportunity for the Dutch.. - However bad they do play, they probably will end up looking better than England! :)

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
I actually think Holland will put up a decent game!
on Kervezee; he actually was offerd a scolarship a few years ago, plus playing for Gloucs.
he refused as he wanted to finish his school in holland, which he recently failed.
so I expect him to go to England very soon.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
or for live updates you can always call me :p

im off in a bit to go to Amstelveen by train(ffs) And I have the idea quiet a lot of people are planning to go.
its only 15 euro's which is a very good deal! although im still hoping to get in for free, know a lot of people at VRA and am part of the Dutch Lions.. :') we'll see.
report, maybe with pictures(who knows) tonight or tomorrow :')

Steulen

International Regular
SL win toss and bat, with a full-strength line-up. It's bright, sunny and unbelievably hot in Amsterdam, and it will get worse.

Go Oranje!