• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Australia in Bangladesh

oz_fan

International Regular
FaaipDeOiad said:
Why Symonds? Surely he has to be dropped now.

If they pick five bowlers, I'd expect:

Hayden
Hussey
Ponting
Martyn
Clarke
Gilchrist
Warne
Lee
Gillespie
Clark
MacGill

I'd rather see Jaques in there and Hussey down at 5 (I think he's perfectly suited to number 6 personally, given his ability to bat with the tail), but I think they'll have Hussey open instead. If they go with four bowlers, Symonds will be retained.
Yeah I was just basing it on the squad. I would have played Watson but he was unavailable.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
fishyguy said:
Heres my prediction for the 1st test:

Realistically:

Bd Ist innings 250 all out
Aus Ist innings 550/6
Bd 2nd innings 180 all out

In my dream:

Bd 1st innings 315 all out
Australia 450 all out
BD 2nd Innings 265 all out
Australia 2nd innings 130/1
I don't think the Bangladesh bowling is that bad anymore. They've given a pretty reasonable account of themselves against Australia on occasion in the past, and in Syed Rasel and Shahadat Hossain, they've found some useful talent it seems.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
I hope they don`t play Huss as an opener. I don`t see the point in it, he won`t be opening regularly just yet you`d think. Might as well give it to someone like Jaques who very well could be doing it in the future.

I also don`t like the policy of playing five bowlers. All other sides in the world have taken the opportunity to blood some new-ish players, and what do we do? Recall Gillespie and blood Johnson. Just stupid IMO. What will playing Dizzy against the Bangers prove? Unless he gets tonked I guess. Johnson should be playing domestic cricket still, but good luck to him. Bracken = unlucky.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Nnanden said:
I I also don`t like the policy of playing five bowlers. All other sides in the world have taken the opportunity to blood some new-ish players, and what do we do? Recall Gillespie and blood Johnson. Just stupid IMO. What will playing Dizzy against the Bangers prove? Unless he gets tonked I guess. Johnson should be playing domestic cricket still, but good luck to him. Bracken = unlucky.
yea dont like the 5-bowler policy, but ya never know picking 5 bowlers may run through Bangladesh pretty quicky in the 2 tests.

On Dizzy & Johnson, well with Kasper & Tait out injured these 2 are 2 of the alternative replacements alhtough has you said Bracken should have been given a chance over Johnson for now. But lets see how Johnson goes this time if picked he may surprise us..

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I imagine the five bowler policy is designed for two things.

Firstly, to take some of the workload off Lee and Warne, who have had big summers. There's no need to have them bowling large numbers of overs against Bangladesh.

Then obviously it allows two spinners to be picked, and still lets them pick Gillespie. I think the selectors want him back in the team for a bit to see how he goes, because there's no question that if he gets back to the way he was bowling in 2004, Australia will be a better team for it. Johnson is mostly there for the experience I think. Unless someone breaks down he won't play a test, just ODIs.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
I imagine the five bowler policy is designed for two things.

Firstly, to take some of the workload off Lee and Warne, who have had big summers. There's no need to have them bowling large numbers of overs against Bangladesh.
if Hussey opens and they play Clarke they have plenty of part timers to fill in with 5-10 overs, Symonds would be the 5th bowler then Clarke and Hussey to bowl a few overs as well. im Sure if Gillespie or Macgill play they would want to bowl plenty of overs though.

parttimer

U19 Cricketer
I'd hoped for a 'bowl-off' between Dizzy and Johnson. Aus will need to verify our pecking order before Eng come, as the constituation of our quick bowling department is way up in the air atm. Lee and Clarke are probably the only certainties. We don't know whats happening with Mcgrath, Kaspa has prolly played his last test and Tait is still too much of an unknown quantity aswell as being too injury-prone. Lee or perhaps Mcgill or could be rested so both could come in

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
age_master said:
if Hussey opens and they play Clarke they have plenty of part timers to fill in with 5-10 overs, Symonds would be the 5th bowler then Clarke and Hussey to bowl a few overs as well. im Sure if Gillespie or Macgill play they would want to bowl plenty of overs though.
That's what I mean. It's a combination of wanting to have a look at Gillespie and MacGill, and not wanting to overwork Lee and Warne. So you pick all of them, throw Clark into the mix, and drop Symonds who has done nothing anyway.

oz_fan

International Regular
Australia name team:
Hayden
Hussey
Ponting
Martyn
Clarke
Gilchrist
Warne
Lee
Gillespie
Clark
MacGill
12th man - Symonds

Discards return to Test team
From correspondents in Dhaka
April 8, 2006

AUSTRALIA has made three changes to its Test side for the opening match against Bangladesh beginning tomorrow, with Michael Clarke, Jason Gillespie and Stuart MacGill all receiving recalls.

The Australians will play five bowlers in an attempt to crush any Bangladeshi resistance on what is expected to be a dry, turning pitch.

While opener Justin Langer and paceman Michael Kasprowicz were both unavailable due to injury, all rounder Andrew Symonds was dropped from the side that whitewashed South Africa 3-0 in the recent Test series there.

It is expected regular No.5 Mike Hussey will open the innings in Langer's absence with wicketkeeper Adam Gilchrist moving up to No.6 in the batting order.

Gillespie will make his first Test appearance since the Ashes series loss to England last year.

Last edited:

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
oz_fan said:
Australia name team:
Hayden
Hussey
Ponting
Martyn
Clarke
Gilchrist
Warne
Lee
Gillespie
Clark
MacGill
12th man - Symonds

Discards return to Test team
From correspondents in Dhaka
April 8, 2006

AUSTRALIA has made three changes to its Test side for the opening match against Bangladesh beginning tomorrow, with Michael Clarke, Jason Gillespie and Stuart MacGill all receiving recalls.

The Australians will play five bowlers in an attempt to crush any Bangladeshi resistance on what is expected to be a dry, turning pitch.

While opener Justin Langer and paceman Michael Kasprowicz were both unavailable due to injury, all rounder Andrew Symonds was dropped from the side that whitewashed South Africa 3-0 in the recent Test series there.

It is expected regular No.5 Mike Hussey will open the innings in Langer's absence with wicketkeeper Adam Gilchrist moving up to No.6 in the batting order.

Gillespie will make his first Test appearance since the Ashes series loss to England last year.
Certainly breaking news. Its not on cricinfo or cricket.com. Looks like the patience with Symonds is up unless one of the bowlers is carted around.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Damn, I was hoping Symonds was going to play, score a hundred and therefore keep himself in the team for another few games. I'm still holding out a faint hope he might play in the Ashes. :D

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
oz_fan you are correct.. i actually saw this info on foxtel (Sky News) not too long ago..

anyway good to see clarke back into the team along with Dizzy..
Symonds probably should have stayed to prove his worth in the team by scoring a century against a minnow side but Clarke also deserves that spot.. so not much of a complain from me..

parttimer

U19 Cricketer
I'm reasonably happy with that team. Symonds has had more than enough opportunities, and has shown himself to be one dimensional. Looked totally out of his depth whenever he couldn't the long handle. The addition of Clarke is good, not sure about Dizzy..we'll have to wait and see. Deserves his oppotunity after performing well domestically but as some1 else said Bracken is unlucky. All in all, its a pretty decent start for our new head of selectors :)

musha_13

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I'd open with Gilly just so we can hopefully get him back into form. We want Hussey at 5 in the ashes so leave him there.