• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in Bangladesh

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
One-Day squad: Mahela Jayawardene (captain), Kumar Sangakkara (vice-captain), Upul Tharanga, Sanath Jayasuriya, Jehan Mubarak, Tillakaratne Dilshan, Chamara Kapugedera, Farveez Maharoof, Hasantha Fernando, Dhammika Prasad, Dilhara Fernando, Ruchira Perera, Akalanka Ganegama, Malinga Bandara, Kaushal Lokuarachchi.

Test squad: Mahela Jayawardene (captain), Kumar Sangakkara (vice-captain), Upul Tharanga, Michael van Dort, Tillakaratne Dilshan, Chamara Kapugedera, Prasanna Jayawardene, Muttiah Muralitharan, Malinga Bandara, Farveez Maharoof, Dhammika Prasad, Lasith Malinga, Dilhara Fernando, Thilan Samaraweera, Sajeeewa Weerakoon.

Interesting Squad selections. Mahela as expected Captains both with Sangakkara as Vice Captain - definitely a commendable move by the selectors !!
Sanath , IMO , it seems is showing intentions of playing possibly playing ODIs only till World Cup 2007. May explain his inclusion in ODI side. Interesting call up for Lokuaratchi possibly considering his all round capabilities more than just his bowling. Dilhara and Malinga will be the Test seamers with new comer Prasad.

Murali as expected is in the Test squad and I suspect in view of his approaching his 1000th wicket international Cricket the selectors have obviously chosen to give him an easy opportunity against Bangladesh , although I would not be surprised if he only plays one Test or if the selectors opt for Weerakoon and Bandara to play with Murali in the final XI.

http://content-nz.cricinfo.com/bdeshvsl/content/story/237282.html

dinu23

International Debutant
Jono said:
So was Vaas stripped of vice-captancy then?
he resigned because there was some tension between him and some other players over his appointment as vice cap.
I don't know why these players wan't to make such a fuss over Vaas getting the job. he deserves the job IMO.

dinu23

International Debutant
my starting XI for the first ODI:
1.Sanath
2.Tharanga
3.Sanga
4.Mahela
5.Dilshan
6.Kapugedara
7.Lokuarachi
8.Bandara
9.maharoof
10.perera
11.Dilhara

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Looks like a good sqaud, with Murali there in the Tests, we shouldn't lose a Test. I was bit worried when they were talking about resting all these players. A bit surprised that Sanath in the ODI sqaud, but not in the Test. Seems a bit pointless, either rest him competely or play him in both.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
dinu23 said:
my starting XI for the first ODI:
1.Sanath
2.Tharanga
3.Sanga
4.Mahela
5.Dilshan
6.Kapugedara
7.Lokuarachi
8.Bandara
9.maharoof
10.perera
11.Dilhara
I would expect that Muburak to play unforuntely. How has Prasad gone in domestic cricket?

Test XI:

1. Tharanga
2. Vandort
3. Sanagakkara
4. Jayawardene
5. Dilshan
6. Samaraweera
7. Kapugedera
8. Maharoof
9. Bandara
10. Murali
11. Malinga

dinu23

International Debutant
ramkumar_gr said:
How about Herath R. Has be been forgetten for good?? Looks like after the resurgence of Bandara.
I completely forgot about Herath. I don't know why the selectors left him out. I guess they forgot about him too. :D

ramkumar_gr

U19 Vice-Captain
dinu23 said:
I completely forgot about Herath. I don't know why the selectors left him out. I guess they forgot about him too. :D
any idea about a fast bowler by name Prabath Nissanka, who used to bowl really well.
No news about him??

And another thing is why the SL selectors keep on selecting Prasanna Jayawardane. Is he too promising in the domestic circuit.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
ramkumar_gr said:
any idea about a fast bowler by name Prabath Nissanka, who used to bowl really well.
No news about him??

And another thing is why the SL selectors keep on selecting Prasanna Jayawardane. Is he too promising in the domestic circuit.
As far as I know , Prabath Nissanka is no longer playing even FC Cricket. I think it had something to do with his back a couple of years ago.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
ramkumar_gr said:
How about Herath R. Has be been forgetten for good?? Looks like after the resurgence of Bandara.
Herath was not really much of a wicket taker and Bandara is in current favour , not surprising given his brilliant performance in VB .

I hope he continues on in the Tests in similar vein.

I hope the young spinner Weerakoon gets a go in at least one of the Tests as well. (they could really play 3 spinners if they wanted to )

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
chaminda_00 said:
A bit surprised that Sanath in the ODI sqaud, but not in the Test. Seems a bit pointless, either rest him competely or play him in both.
My feeling is that possibly Sanath and the selectors have come to a realisation and even an understanding that perhaps with his advancing age and World Cup around the corner , to play him mainly in ODIs only .

dinu23

International Debutant
yeah, Nissanka isn't playing any more. he was very promising. As for Prasanna, he's the one selectors are keeping an eye on to replace sanga as wicketkeeper

kvemuri

U19 12th Man
Thats an interesting squad Sri Lanka has, especially the axing of Russell Arnold doesn't make any sense. Since he played admirably in the third final. They could've rested Sanath too and plugged Arnold in for him.