• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies in New Zealand

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
sirjeremy11 said:
I agree. Still a bit worried about the form of some of the "established" players that they will probably pick though - Astle, Marshall, Fleming, Vincent, Styris haven't been ENTIRELY convincing. But it is the Windies :laugh: Wouldn't have said that 10-15 years ago...

Yes, I touched wood. And not in the dodgy way.

Just to speak about my favourite man in NZ cricket...again! lol. Vincent had a great 2005 but he was...up and down in every innings. IE he'd follow up a 50 plus score with a <10 score.

I think he may be a tad too aggressive :huh:

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
It's good to see that we are trying to pick a squad from over 25 players though. Mind you, would we be trying to if it were against Australia?

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
Tim said:
Nicol will probably need to have an 'A' tour too to see if he can handle the step up.
I agree with this, but I was very impressed with his Twenty20 innings against Wellington. Hot s###.

Right arm fast

State Vice-Captain
yea it was good hearing the commmentators complaining about how he shouldnt be playing 20\20 and that the game wasn't for him and he takes auckland to victory

James

Cricket Web Owner
I honestly can't believe Ewan Thompson and Paul Hitchcock are being talked about as better options than Kyle Mills.

Mills has been one of our best bowlers in the past six months IMO and he's really improving so why would we drop him? That's just bizzare.

Thompson and Hitchcock to me are just medium pace rubbish who will get shown up big time on the international stage. They'll look pretty good on our slow wickets but when they head over to Asia, Australia, etc they'll get shown up for what they really are.

Where Hitchock is going actually reminds me of Simon Doull. Starting to open for his domestic side and his bowling turns to rubbish.

If we're looking at "pure" bowlers I'd look at Gillespie from Wellington.

Michael Mason is another one who had his chance in the international game and blew his chance.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Mills isn't going to be fit enough. Did you see him in the Twenty20 match? he looks well short of match fitness too.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
There isn't much difference in pace between Mills & Thompson..the only difference is that Mills is a right-armer, Thompson is a left-armer.

And you're forgetting that Mills doesn't have a great record in Asia either!

Gillespie looks good, but I worry about his fielding & attitude at times.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Nope, I missed that Twenty20 game unfortnately.

I need we need to be careful we don't make too much changes leading up to the 2007 World Cup, shouldn't we be building our first eleven now rather than making so many changes?

James

Cricket Web Owner
Tim said:
There isn't much difference in pace between Mills & Thompson..the only difference is that Mills is a right-armer, Thompson is a left-armer.

And you're forgetting that Mills doesn't have a great record in Asia either!

Gillespie looks good, but I worry about his fielding & attitude at times.
Are you sure? Doesn't Griggs stand up to the stumps to Thompson?

That's the old Mills though, we've got a new Mills now ;)

What about considering Chris Martin?

Blaze

Banned
James - No one has suggested Mills should be dropped, we are looking at other options because he may not be match fit.

I agree with Tim, Thompson is quicker than medium pace, about the same as Mills.

Michael Mason never blew his chance in the One Day game. He missed his opportunity at test level but performed pretty well against South Africa in the One Dayers IIRC.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Not that i've seen it. But im pretty sure Reece Young would keep up to Mills if they wanted to put some pressure on the batsmen.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Blaze said:
James - No one has suggested Mills should be dropped, we are looking at other options because he may not be match fit.
I gathered that after Tim told me. Guess I completely missed Mills' injury concerns :D

James

Cricket Web Owner
In reading the newspaper today, I was shocked to read that the West Indies haven't won an overseas test series in 11 years!

The last time was beating New Zealand in New Zealand in 1995!

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Team has just been released:

Stephen Fleming (captain)
Daniel Vettori (vice captain)
Nathan Astle
Shane Bond
James Franklin
Peter Fulton
Jamie How
Hamish Marshall
Michael Mason
Brendon McCullum
Jeetan Patel
Scott Styris
Lou Vincent

Comments from the email:

Chris Cairns is added to the squad for the Twenty20 match only, which will be his last match for the BLACKCAPS before he retires from international cricket.
“With a return to form of many players at domestic level there was fierce competition for top order batsmen. It was very much a case of deciding who to leave out rather than who to select,” Bracewell said.
“With injuries to key players and the retirement of Chris Cairns there are some issues around selecting all rounders of international quality. Michael Mason is currently the best line and length bowler in the country. With the gap left by injuries to Kyle Mills, Andre Adams and Jacob Oram, he has a real opportunity to prove himself at international level.
“Mills is recovering from his groin strain but does not have enough recent cricket to be considered for section. He will be returning to club cricket this weekend and will play a State Championship match before the team for the remainder of the one-day series is announced. Adams is recovering from his fractured hand and should be returning to cricket soon. We do not know how long Oram will be out of the frame as he recovers from his bruised heel.”

Sportsgirl

School Boy/Girl Captain
What on earth is Franklin doing there? He is not an international one day bowler. He bowls far too short & far to wide most of the time and is never consistent enough.
Good to see Michael Mason get another opportunity as he has bowled very well in the State Shield this year.
Ross Taylor would probably feel abit unlucky that he wasn't picked but if the series comes down to a dead rubber it could be an opportunity to bring him in for a game or two. Astle would be my supersub. I'm glad that they have still kept Marshall as he has been scoring a few runs for ND.

Last edited:

Right arm fast

State Vice-Captain
interesting i agree with masons selection but am disapointed no ross taylor but there was no place to put him a good side imo bond and franklin to share new ball with mason 1st change then vettori styris and patel if he plays to do the rest along with astle

team for 1st odi in batting order

1. L Vincent
2. J How
3. S Fleming
4. H Marshall
5. P Fulton
6. S Styris
7. B McCullum
8. D Vettori
9. J Franklin
10. S Bond
11. M Mason