• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your country's current best test side

adharcric

International Coach
Justin Langer, Matthew Hayden, Ricky Ponting, Damien Martyn / Brad Hodge, Andrew Symonds / Brad Hodge, Michael Hussey, Adam Gilchrist, Shane Warne, Brett Lee, Glenn McGrath, Stuart MacGill / Nathan Bracken (based on pitch conditions)

adharcric

International Coach
Replace Nathan Bracken with the next best Aussie pacer, whether that turns out to be Jason Gillespie, Shaun Tait, Mitchell Johnson or whoever else . . .

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Natman20 said:
I would actually chuck in Sinclair and Fulton in although Fulton hasnt played a test for New Zealand yet and probably replace Hamish Marshall and I would replace Franklin with Either Kyle Mills or Daryl Tuffey probably Kyle Mills on current form. Franklin stands no chance of ever being good in ODIs in my opinion. Papps is a great player I want to see him play more often.
And what exactly does the fact that Franklin stands no chance of ever being good enough for ODIs have to do with the test side? Franklin is a test standard bowler who's place should not be challenged by the likes of Martin, Mills and Tuffey by any stretch of the imagination.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Franklin has issues with his ODI bowling, but he's completely different when it comes to first class or test cricket IMO. I think he could be very good for NZ in test cricket.

Cloete

International Captain
J Langer
M Hayden
R Ponting
D Martyn
M Hussey
A Gilchrist
A Symonds
B Lee
S Warne
S MacGill
G McGrath

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
James said:
No Craig Cumming guys? He did pretty well for us last summer I thought.
Cumming has big lbw problems. Apparentely hes been working hard to fix this up though, so it'll be interesting to see how he goes.

Unless one of the middle order batsmen volunteer to open, Im sure he'll be picked in New Zealand's next test match.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
The day I see that, i will fall off my chair.

Watson ahead of Hussey & Clarke, not to mention Gilchrist would be a good laugh.

Cloete

International Captain
Prince EWS said:
Loving it.
Watson is a very good batsman domestically.

But so far internationally he has looked very poor against good bowling attacks. If he can produce his domestic type of play internationally, then he has the ability to be a very good test batsman really. His technique is very good, but for some reason it's looked appauling the ODI's he's played.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Tim said:
The day I see that, i will fall off my chair.

Watson ahead of Hussey & Clarke, not to mention Gilchrist would be a good laugh.
It'll happen one day my friend. Just you wait.

mikeW

International Vice-Captain
Why dont people rate Brad Hodge? he's averaging around 58 in test cricket currently what more can he do?

Cloete

International Captain
mikeW said:
Why dont people rate Brad Hodge? he's averaging around 58 in test cricket currently what more can he do?
To be honest he just gives too many chances for my liking. I think Martyn is a far superior player to Hodge.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
His technique is very good, but for some reason it's looked appauling the ODI's he's played.
I think thats due to the position he bats in them. He needs to get his eye in properly before he can be effective, and theres no time for that when batting down at #8. As was shown with his partnership with Hussey in the Super Series though, when he is given time to play a proper innings, he can do so.

As for the test matches hes played, while he hasnt actually made a big score, he looks good while batting. He seemed to handle the bowling fairly comfortably, espeically in defence (until he got out, of course), and thats all Im looking for at such an early stage of his career. He reminds me a lot of a young Jacques Kallis, who also struggled a bit when he first came into test cricket.

His bowling is a whole different kettle of fish, but Im completely confident with his batting as long as he doesnt have to come in and slog straight away.

Paid The Umpire

All Time Legend
dontcloseyoureyes said:
J Langer
M Hayden
R Ponting
S Watson
M Hussey
M Clarke
A Gilchrist
B Lee
S Warne
N Bracken
G McGrath
Are you crazy?

Watson and Clarke don't deserve to be there. Hodge and Martyn, that said either on of them could be dropped for McGill if the pitch is right for him.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
mikeW said:
He had one notable score, a 200* which will certainly increase your average.

But even then, he gave up heaps of chances and was dropped early. He never has looked solid.

TIF

U19 Debutant
Well, I was born in India and I live in India and I am an Indian, so here goes mine for India -

India -

V Sehwag
G Gambhir
R Dravid(c)
S Tendulkar
V Laxman
Y Singh
M Dhoni(w)
I Pathan
A Kumble
H Singh
Z Khan

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Prince EWS said:
His bowling is a whole different kettle of fish, but Im completely confident with his batting as long as he doesnt have to come in and slog straight away.
Exactly why I'd have him at 4.

mikeW said:
Because he pokes and prods outside off stump way too much for my liking. This is exactly the same reason why I don't like Clarke at 4.

Paid The Umpire said:
Watson and Clarke don't deserve to be there. Hodge and Martyn, that said either on of them could be dropped for McGill if the pitch is right for him.
Granted, Martyn is a more extablished international batsman but as we all know it's very unlikely that he will ever play another test match. As for Hodge, see above.