• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jeetan Patel

What do you think of him? (choose 1 from each set of two)

• Total voters

Natman20

International Debutant
Jeetan Patel is the New Zealand spinner that has played a few times before internationally and is renound for bowling well at the death. Is he really an asset to the New Zealand team or is he just a cling on that gets hammered for heaps of runs. Heard on radio that he just got clobbered for three sixes in a row bowling at the death in a first class match his last one before playing for the blackcaps again. Do you think he is worth having in the side, is he good enough?

Last edited:

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
I havn't seen him play, so I can't judge on that. But I don't understand why he's coming into the team.

crickhowell

U19 Vice-Captain
I watch Wellington a lot and I'm a fan of his bowling and the reason he's in the team is to build up a squad with experience for the world cup and more in the case of Patel than most is to give them experience in ODI's before they play a test. I was at the game on Wednesday and to be honest Pasupati was out to prove something to the Wellington selectors who didnt give him the chances he deserved and at the death he was batting like Adam Gillchrist does in top form, everything he touched found the gaps and went for four or went for six, he scored 40 something in about 4 or 5 overs.

Ming

State 12th Man
Give the lad a few more chances. He looked 'good' in SA before he dropped THAT catch....

ND_fan

Cricket Spectator
When did Patel become more popular than Bruce Martin??? Martin has been a consistantly good performer for Northern Districts and the NZA team so what has he done to be so out of favour? They both debuted in the same season (99/00) so experience can't be a factor and statistics from both the one day and four day domestic competitions show Martin to have better averages, strikerates and RPOs so why Patel!?!?

amokk1

U19 12th Man
Jeetan Patel Is an Excellent Bowler, despinte being relatively new to the internaitonal Scene.

Just saw the 4th ODI between NZ and SL and I am convinced that he turned the game around for NZ on this occasion.

Hope to see more of him soon !

Blaze

Banned
ND_fan said:
When did Patel become more popular than Bruce Martin??? Martin has been a consistantly good performer for Northern Districts and the NZA team so what has he done to be so out of favour? They both debuted in the same season (99/00) so experience can't be a factor and statistics from both the one day and four day domestic competitions show Martin to have better averages, strikerates and RPOs so why Patel!?!?
Who knows? But Patel proved his worth today.

thierry henry

International Coach
His ODI stats so far haven't shown it (at least until tonight), but he looks good. He turns the ball very sharply, imho he clearly turns it more than Vettori. He doesn't have the genuine doosra (I'm not going to start the debate as to why this is), but he does have a decent, accurate quicker ball, which is probably fairly easy to pick but still effective in ODIs. Considering the combination of accuracy and sharp turn it's a mystery to me why his domestic figures aren't better.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:
Winner.

I was just going to post exactly the same, word for word.
The MBE thread was starting to starve me of debate, so we might as well put a torch under this thread and get it firing. :D

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Voltman said:
The MBE thread was starting to starve me of debate, so we might as well put a torch under this thread and get it firing. :D
You wouldn't know the meaning of the word 'debate' if it crawled off de hook and bit you.

Blaze

Banned
thierry henry said:
Yeah well, it's true innit. You can't bowl a doosra without having an unorthodox action, at least.
I am yet to see someone bowl it with a orthodox action.

They showed a composite shot of the hand release of 2 deliveries to show the difference between Murali's stock delivery and his doosra and it is nigh on impossible to pick the difference. It's no wonder he has as many wickets as he does.

Natman20

International Debutant
I watched cricket highlights last night and clearly Vettori was outclassed by Patel as Patel put it in the right areas more often and turned it more and deserved his figures. I would like to change my votes for disliking him because he looked great yesterday. A couple years ago I followed Domestic cricket and thought about how good he was but I didn't think he would or could do well at international level.

Craig

World Traveller
Looked the goods last night.

But he will need to prove he isn't a one game wonder. Let's see how he is when the batsmen are really going after the bowling.

Ming

State 12th Man
He will probably earn a start tomorow since Styris and Bond are in doubt and that Fleming is gone with Astle coming into the squad.

So a 12 tomorow of....

1 How, 2 Vincent, 3 Astle, 4 Fulton, 5 Marshall, 6 Cairns, 7 McCullum, 8 Vettori, 9 Franklin, 10 Patel, 11 Martin

Uh huh....

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I don't have an opinion either way of him. The Indians played him easily but then again, almost every spinner is handled well by India.

BTW, Jeetan Patel chucks too, juz not enough to get a doosra in. :D