• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NZ Test Squad for WI

Ming

State 12th Man
I've been thinking about this squad for a while, and I still can't settle on a starting XI. I know it's still very early, but it's interesting to see who will open the batting, the combination of the middle order, and also the third seamer.

Jamie How was very impressive yesterday, played straight, and also showed his natural attacking instinct. I've always thought he's a better first class player than one day, and I hope he will get his chance against WI. Fulton will probably find it harder to force his way in, even though he has a fine domestic record and a solid ODI innings to boot. Alot will depend where Fleming will play, and I personally hope he opens the innings. James Marshall will probably be dropped as the incumbent Test opener, and the future of Cumming is uncertain. So an opening combination of How and Fleming for me.

I like the look of Hamish at 3, and it's hard to drop him even though he is in a lean trot because of his superb innings against Australia and SL early last year. Styris would be in the side at 4, and Vincent at 5. I would employ Oram's allround skills at 6, where he would play a 'Flintoff' type of role as the 4th pace bowler and a key batsman in the middle order.

The bowling attack will look much stronger with Bond back. And for once, we will have an attack not lacking in variety. I would partner Bond with Franklin with the new ball, and Mills as the first-change bowler. Martin would be the unlucky one. It's a good balanced lineup, with Bond's fast inswing, Franklin's left armers, and Mill's consistent line and length as well as his ability to outswing it. It would also give us a deep batting lineup, with Franklin or Mills batting at 10!

1 Fleming (c), 2 How, 3 H Marshall, 4 Styris, 5 Vincent, 6 Oram, 7 McCullum+, 8 Vettori, 9 Franklin, 10 Mills, 11 Bond, 12 Fulton, 13 Martin

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Im still not really convinced about Fleming opening, but by in large, I would agree with that team.

How probably needs another good score in the ODI's, but already he clearly looks a notch or two above Cumming & James Marshall at international level.

crickhowell

U19 Vice-Captain
I think a James Marshall/Jamie How opening partnership would work with the skipper at 3 and Styris at 4 providing a batting allrounder. Vincent at 5 as I feel this is where he is most suited, especially after the double ton against Sri Lanka last summer; Oram at 6 in the Flintoff role of fourth seamer/batsman, McCullum the keeper at 7 with Vettori at 8. Franklin at 9 and opening the bowling with Bond to have a left/right combination. I dont like Mills's action but I dont think anyone can take his place and Bond at 11.

Ming

State 12th Man
Who really gives a toss about his action? All I care is that's it's legal and it's fine and that he's been our best pace bowler recently.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I think the black caps should give How, Fulton, Hamish Marshall and possibly Jessie Ryder a go at this Windies Team (possibly not all at the same time ) ,because this is a brilliant opportunity to blood youngsters against a Team who are just as bad as SL if not worse and Black Cap coach will not get another better opportunity than this to serve this purpose .

Ming

State 12th Man
Playing Oram as the fourth seamer is good, because his bowling won't take 5-fors in Test cricket, but he is more than capable of chipping out wickets much like how Symonds in the 2nd Test.

I don't see a way back for Astle, too one-dimensional unless he sorts out his game. As for McMillan....meh.

Blaze

Banned
How looks technically better than Cumming and Marshall so he would be in my team along with Michael Papps. IMO Fleming is just a short term fix and shouldn't have to bat any higher than 3.

My XI as at today would be

1. How
2. Papps
3. Fleming
4. Styris
5. Astle/Fulton
6. Vincent
7. Oram
8. McCullum
9. Vettori
10. Franklin
11. Bond

That leaves the bowling very light with Styris as the 5th bowler and Astle the 6th but if Oram continues to improve his bowling he could fill the 3rd seamer role effectively and we would have enough options.

People often confuse One Day form with Test Match form. Selecting Mills would be ludicrus considering he has been tried and failed. He may well be an option some time in the future but at the moment doesn't deserve to be considered for test selection.

I would drop Marshall but reluctantly. In fact he might even make the side over Astle but would be competing against Fulton for his spot. I would be inclined to give Fulton a run to see how he goes in the longer form as he is apparently suited to it more so than ODI's.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
It was obviously a big deal for the selectors and Bracewell to pick 2 new guys, lol so I can't see them taking another punt with Jesse Ryder.

I wouldn't mind seeing Ryder & How open up in ODI's. I think thats the future opening partnership for NZ.

Ming

State 12th Man
JASON said:
I think the black caps should give How, Fulton, Hamish Marshall and possibly Jessie Ryder a go at this Windies Team (possibly not all at the same time ) ,because this is a brilliant opportunity to blood youngsters against a Team who are just as bad as SL if not worse and Black Cap coach will not get another better opportunity than this to serve this purpose .
There isn't room for Fulton and How, let alone Ryder....

Ming

State 12th Man
Blaze, do you really see Oram as a genuine Test quality third seamer though? He can't swing or seam the ball, and is mainly a wicket to wicket bowler. I believe our three seamers should come from Bond, Martin, Franklin and Mills. Although there has been talk of Walmsley being 'recalled'....

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I can't see the point in selecting Walmsley. He was considering retiring from Auckland last season, so he's surely thinking about giving the game away very soon.

Blaze

Banned
Ming said:
Blaze, do you really see Oram as a genuine Test quality third seamer though? He can't swing or seam the ball, and is mainly a wicket to wicket bowler. I believe our three seamers should come from Bond, Martin, Franklin and Mills. Although there has been talk of Walmsley being 'recalled'....
No, I don't. Not an ideal option by any stretch of the imagination but I don't rate Mills (tests) or Martin either.

Walmsley seems to dominate domestically but realistically he isn't an option. He would get murdered on international wickets.

Ming

State 12th Man
Martin is a sharp bowler, and bowls very well with the new ball. But he seems to fall away when the ball gets old.

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
Blaze said:
How looks technically better than Cumming and Marshall so he would be in my team along with Michael Papps. IMO Fleming is just a short term fix and shouldn't have to bat any higher than 3.

My XI as at today would be

1. How
2. Papps
3. Fleming
4. Styris
5. Astle/Fulton
6. Vincent
7. Oram
8. McCullum
9. Vettori
10. Franklin
11. Bond

That leaves the bowling very light with Styris as the 5th bowler and Astle the 6th but if Oram continues to improve his bowling he could fill the 3rd seamer role effectively and we would have enough options.

People often confuse One Day form with Test Match form. Selecting Mills would be ludicrus considering he has been tried and failed. He may well be an option some time in the future but at the moment doesn't deserve to be considered for test selection.

I would drop Marshall but reluctantly. In fact he might even make the side over Astle but would be competing against Fulton for his spot. I would be inclined to give Fulton a run to see how he goes in the longer form as he is apparently suited to it more so than ODI's.
That's a bit contradictory, seeing as Marshall's run of shocking scores has mainly been in ODIs. Admittedly he failed in both innings in Zimbabwe, but before that he got 160 against Sri Lanka.

Good to see that there's a lot of competetion for spots though.

crickhowell

U19 Vice-Captain
I was looking at Mark Gillespie and Mills's stats on Cricinfo, Gillespie is a better FC bowler, someone the selectors could think about blooding sometime soon.

Ming

State 12th Man
Stats don't mean everything mate. Otherwise we would see Matthew Walker and Tama Canning as the NZ Test opening bowlers.

Mills' hasn't really played much domestic cricket for a few seasons, and when he has the lineups are stronger than the ones Gillespie has played against. I'll still back Mills to do the job as the third seamer, keeping things tight as well as his ability to swing the new and old ball.

Why doesn't Chris Martin go around the wicket to left handers?

Blaze

Banned
Sir Redman said:
That's a bit contradictory, seeing as Marshall's run of shocking scores has mainly been in ODIs. Admittedly he failed in both innings in Zimbabwe, but before that he got 160 against Sri Lanka.

Yeah it is isn't it. I don't know what to do, I am just glad I am not a selector.