• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lee vs Akhtar

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Neil Pickup said:
Lee's Test Average: 31.85
Shoaib's: 24.76

That says enough. Shoaib is clearly a better Test bowler as he can make things happen.
so can Lee?, but yes Shoaib is the better test match bowler, but i would see Lee is at better ODI by a whisker.

godofcricket

State 12th Man
If we compared the Akhtar one year ago with Lee of today, then i would have said they are equally good.....The difference now is Akhtar has started to use his brains, which is a big plus for him and the team. Fast bowlers (of Akhtar/lee category) are a threat to batsman with such speed anyway, but when they start using their experience and put their mind behind it then they are bound to trouble batsman on any sort of wicket and in any type of situation. Akhtar is just begining to become one of those bowlers i reckon, Lee on the other hand isnt that intelligent or doesnt use his mind to that extent, but if he does then we might see a competition.

crickhowell

U19 Vice-Captain
Lee is improving in leaps and bounds and in a year or two he will be not only Australias spearhead but possibly the very best in the world.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
crickhowell said:
Lee is improving in leaps and bounds and in a year or two he will be not only Australias spearhead but possibly the very best in the world.
He's improved, but not to that extent.

Last edited:

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
akhtar is clearly the better bowler overall but lee has been improving recently and sort of closing the gap....

sqwerty

U19 Cricketer
Akhtar was the difference between the 2 sides in the recent Pak v Eng series.

For that reason I'd go with him. He surprised me I've got to say.

His slower ball is probably the best in world cricket at the moment.

Lee is bowling quite well at the moment but it's no more than you'd expect of a decent Test level opening bowler. It will be interesting to gauge how he has developed when Australia take on England again this year.

His pace didn't unsettle any of their top order in the last series.

Slow Love™

International Captain
I'm a fan of Lee and I really hope he keeps up his improvement - he really looks to be on the way up. That 1-2 blow he delivered to Kallis the other day was utterly fantastic.

Still a fair way behind The Shoaib in tests though, and it's not as if Akhtar is currently on the slide.

sqwerty

U19 Cricketer
Slow Love™ said:
I'm a fan of Lee and I really hope he keeps up his improvement - he really looks to be on the way up. That 1-2 blow he delivered to Kallis the other day was utterly fantastic.

Still a fair way behind The Shoaib in tests though, and it's not as if Akhtar is currently on the slide.
That's funny. I just returned to this thread to add that bit about the Kallis 1-2 but you beat me to it.

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
Shoaib, but Lee is 50x the batsman that Shoaib is. (cue: someone to say "And Shoaib is 50x the bowler that Lee is.)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Robertinho said:
Shoaib, but Lee is 50x the batsman that Shoaib is. (cue: someone to say "And Shoaib is 50x the bowler that Lee is.)
I wouldnt say that but isnt it like saying Vettori is 50X the batsman Murali is when discussing their respective bowling merits ? :)

Xuhaib

International Coach
Originally Posted by sheerindianspeed
My votes goes for Zaheer Khan, i think he way better than the mentioned ones
Why should Zaheer Khan be even mentioned with these two he should only be compared with legends like Lillie and Marshal comparing him with Shoaib and Lee is ruining his legacy.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You guys are ALL missing the point. Completely. Hoo boy what a buncha idiots..........

When comparing Lee and Shoaib, the most important factor in determining superiority isn't wickets taken, strike-rate, average or any other meaningless criteria.

It's how many chicks they pull. And on that basis, surely they're inseparable.

(cue some wag to say "Well, if they're inseparable, why do they need chicks at all?" in 5....4..........3................2..................)

Xuhaib

International Coach
I dont know about gori(foreign) chicks but definatley the desi (local) chicks are more attracted to Afridi then Akhtar.
I wonder if any chick can get attracted to Kamran Akmal :p

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Top_Cat said:
You guys are ALL missing the point. Completely. Hoo boy what a buncha idiots..........

When comparing Lee and Shoaib, the most important factor in determining superiority isn't wickets taken, strike-rate, average or any other meaningless criteria.

It's how many chicks they pull. And on that basis, surely they're inseparable.

(cue some wag to say "Well, if they're inseparable, why do they need chicks at all?" in 5....4..........3................2..................)
Well if you actually observe their wicket celebrations, they may not 'swing' that way.

"Not that there's anythign wrong with that!"

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Xuhaib said:
Why should Zaheer Khan be even mentioned with these two he should only be compared with legends like Lillie and Marshal comparing him with Shoaib and Lee is ruining his legacy.
Not really, Xuhaib... Zaheer's only competition is himself.............and of course, AA. He is WAY above those backbenchers that have been mentioned in this thread. :D