• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

John Bracewell

Blaze

Banned
Is it time for him to go?

The way I see it he has made no progress with the side for the 2 years he has been in charge. Nothing has changed and we are slowly but surely getting worse. Sure he made our one day form go through the roof for a little while but even that has gone to the dogs now.

I see no improvements in this side whatsoever and IMO he has to go and Flem has to take more responsibility like he used to.

Thoughts?

Natman20

International Debutant
I disagree. What he has done with the ODI side in the last few years has been great and moved us up to 2nd position in rankings. I now feel that everyone knows the style he has put in our squad and therefore they can now beat us convincingly, It is time for him to go IMO

Chubb

International Regular
Bracewell must go. As far as I can see, the decline started the moment he was put in charge. He's got a screw loose, I mean, you'd think he might just take a look at Fulton in the test side, but he refuses to even consider it. He's turning into New Zealand's Ilingworth. I think the job ought to go to John Wright or the guy who was with us when we were doing well.

ODIs it might be early to press the panic button, but tests, I mean, it's dreadful. We have to get rid of him, there isn't any other option.

AndrewM

U19 12th Man
An interesting discussion.

For stability i would disagree: there are less than 15 months to go until the next World Cup. That is the ultimate goal and what he and Flem have been working for in Braces' time in charge. If we do not win the World Cup then drop him. Simple as that.

He has done some good things, as Natman has stated. The flipside of our fluctuating one-day fortunes is that our test cricket has been at its lowest ebb. There has been mention of trialing separate test and one-day coaches, which i guess has potential. If Bracewell wins the World Cup, all these poor results will be forgiven.

Lyell_Chris

U19 12th Man
AndrewM said:
An interesting discussion.

For stability i would disagree: there are less than 15 months to go until the next World Cup. That is the ultimate goal and what he and Flem have been working for in Braces' time in charge. If we do not win the World Cup then drop him. Simple as that.

He has done some good things, as Natman has stated. The flipside of our fluctuating one-day fortunes is that our test cricket has been at its lowest ebb. There has been mention of trialing separate test and one-day coaches, which i guess has potential. If Bracewell wins the World Cup, all these poor results will be forgiven.
The more time for his replacement the better
If we win the world cup it won't be because of him

AndrewM

U19 12th Man
Lyell_Chris said:
The more time for his replacement the better
If we win the world cup it won't be because of him
That's my point - there is no time for a replacement. A quick fix coach will not fix the problems overnight.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
He has got us performing well before, so I still have faith in him. I worry about whether he has the same ability to do it at test level though. It would be stupid to drop him 15 months out from the World Cup. We've gotta keep trucking and hope they can turn it around.

Ming

State 12th Man
Get McCullum to open and bring some new batting blood in.....all will be forgiven if he does that. :lol:

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
From a non-NZ perspective, I can't see why Bracewell has been kept for so long...sure he's been getting decent results in ODIs (although of recent they haven't done all that well) but in Tests the team seems to have regressed...shouldn't you be more concerned with winning Tests than ODIs?

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
does anyone every consider that it might not be the coach that is the problem. He is not the only selector in the team. So you cant just say it his fault that fulton not in. It is one thing someone not performing, it is another finding someine who can do a better job. you cant just give them 3 games then throw them out. timing is cruciall

Natman20

International Debutant
They are probably like English rugby and have someone camoflouged with a camera filming training sessions 8-)

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Jono said:
Lol why would you listen to what Ponting is saying about NZ training?
Why would you listen to what Ponting is saying about anything? :huh: