• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Weeraratne smashes fastest OD fifty

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Arjun said:
One look at the man as well as how he has played would suggest otherwise. I can imagine Nuwan Zoysa pulling that off, but Weeratane? Maybe I haven't seen enough of him, but he looks small and thin- not quite someone you would expect to score such a fast 50.
Maybe he's followed Dhoni and drinks a litre of milk a day?

I may try that if it works. Flavoured of course.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Isolator said:
Just smash the keys really hard.
Indeed, I'm tempted to do as you suggest. After all, smashing the keys really hard is the typing equivalent of just shouting at the French.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
luckyeddie said:
Ah.

Reminder to self - work out how to do accents using my new keyboard.
I may be wrong, but isn't it "touchez" anyway, rather than "touche" with an accent? Both make sense though, so I guess it doesn't really matter anyway.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
No, you're wrong.

Touché being the past participle or adjectival form, and Touchez being the vous-form of the present tense or imperative.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Neil Pickup said:
No, you're wrong.

Touché being the past participle or adjectival form, and Touchez being the vous-form of the present tense or imperative.
I know exactly what they both mean (doing a degree in French! :p ), but I wasn't sure about the origins of the English usage of the word. It originates from fencing if I'm correct, and I thought the original meaning of the word was an instruction from the referee to both participants to touch swords, as boxers touch gloves at the beginning of a fight, as a mark of sportsmanship - this would mean it's "Touchez" in the imperative. What also gives me the idea that it's Touchez rather than Touche (I can't do accents on my keyboard either) is that Touchez on its own as a sentence makes more sense than Touche. However, the way the word is used in English gives me the impression that Touche might be correct - although I'm conscious that it could be the case that the English interpretation of the meaning of the word has been corrupted over time. Basically I'm not sure.

Although what this all has to do with Kaushalya Weeraratne, I have no idea! :D

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Barney Rubble said:
However, the way the word is used in English gives me the impression that Touche might be correct - although I'm conscious that it could be the case that the English interpretation of the meaning of the word has been corrupted over time. Basically I'm not sure.
...and stuff.

The sporting but zapped swordsman (in a fencing bout) uses the past participle and says "Touché, monsieur le *****chat" to indicate that he has been touched, and has conceded the point.

It's like (cricket context, establishing a tenuous link to Weeneracne or whatever his name is) Churchy walking when he's hit it and any Englishman not walking when he's hit it because they're not as stupid as Churchy.

In my case, permanently touched.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
luckyeddie said:
...and stuff.

The sporting but zapped swordsman (in a fencing bout) uses the past participle and says "Touché, monsieur le *****chat" to indicate that he has been touched, and has conceded the point.

It's like (cricket context, establishing a tenuous link to Weeneracne or whatever his name is) Churchy walking when he's hit it and any Englishman not walking when he's hit it because they're not as stupid as Churchy.

In my case, permanently touched.
I bow to your superior wit, LE - regardless of whether I'm right or wrong (and I'm starting to lean towards wrong), you just insulted an Australian cricketer, and I can't be seen not to be in favour of that. :)

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Barney Rubble said:
I bow to your superior wit, LE - regardless of whether I'm right or wrong (and I'm starting to lean towards wrong), you just insulted an Australian cricketer, and I can't be seen not to be in favour of that. :)
Yes, but you're at a crappy university that can't even keep its own buildings from exploding.

Touchez isn't a word in English. And you get the accent with Alt Gr+e, or Alt+0233 (num pad).

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
I Suppose it was a bit of strange circumstances that the record was broken, though the previous record was pretty dubious given the standard of the opposition it was scored against.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Barney Rubble said:
You're just jealous that we have more than one building to explode. :p
That's such a crap comeback that I'm not even going to stoop to attempting to counter it.