Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Great small team V Great tall team ?

Chicken Champion! Battle Pong Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddhmaster
    hes 6'4 i think mate
    Really? Damn. Never noticed! I guess the specs give him a slightly schoolboyish look, so I didn't think he was very tall.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Lindsay Hassett -- at 5' 6" -- was one of the finest batsmen I ever saw. Everton Weekes -- the elegant West Indies batsman of beautiful stroke play stood about 5' 7".

James

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Some of the tallest cricketers I can remember are :

Garner : 6' 8" (203 cms)
    Bruce Reid : 6' 8" (203)
    Moody : 6'7" (201)
    Ambrose : 6'7" (201)
    Tony Grieg : 6'7" (201)

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    'Tich' Freeman who took 66 test wickets in 12 wickets for England with his legspin and thousands in first class cricket including some never to be broken records, was probably the shortest ever test cricketer at 5' 2" or 157.5 cms !!

School Boy/Girl Cricketer parisa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Barney Rubble
    Ponting is 5ft 7in, for what it's worth.

Ponting can’t be that short…I thought he was 5’9”..

But I was wondering who is the tallest player currently playing international cricket…I guess it’s probably Jacob Oram who’s like 6’7”.

Chicken Champion! Battle Pong Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by parisa
    Ponting can’t be that short…I thought he was 5’9”..

But I was wondering who is the tallest player currently playing international cricket…I guess it’s probably Jacob Oram who’s like 6’7”.
    Tremlett.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamc
    Really? Damn. Never noticed! I guess the specs give him a slightly schoolboyish look, so I didn't think he was very tall.
    Yes no doubt...Vettori is deceptively Tall...you only really realise it when you see him next to other players.....He appears to have a couple of inches (in height ) on Fleming who must at least 6'2" if not taller.

In fact in the Super series Vettori seemed at least as tall as Flintoff and Pietersen

SJS, You are right in saying they ,sobers and G Pollock are not small,but they were picking a team of 6 foot or smaller,I dont know the heights but i guess they did,Anyways We will go for ZinZans way and have the smalls against the talls on his heights, Does anyone know where we can find players height? as for Ponting i would be very surprised if he got near 5 foot 8 as he is a shorty ,like tendulkar,BTW who is the smallest and tallest playing today, Dont forget a lot of players play ODI and have not played test cricket as yet for the purpose of tall and smallest today in cricket.
    Would have to be Murrili,Tendulakr,Ponting,,,I tell you what i thought that Vaas was a tall ,i would have picked him to be about 6"2 ish,that is amazing if he is so short,like marshall not many blokes around that height that bowled like him,an outstanding cricketer and i would put him as a champion.
    Can we also start a team of telly tubbies,Players who have at one point or another been a tubby, i will try and pick an aussie side of telly tubbs,or Stocky built blokes.

Taylor
    Stackpole
    Boon
    Border

Marsh
    Gilmore
    Warne

Nup i give up,hehehe need help maybe just a world side of best porkers ever
    in would go Gatting,Botham,Inziman,Lara,who has put on a ton of weight and its showing in his cricket IMO. Now need more help.
    The short players issue was really to say the shorts were the better players in test cricket,with all the bradmans and Borders ,lara,Tendulkar ,gavaskar etc,all short and dominant in record books.
    Must be something about being short and being a batsman huh,,,
    Last edited by jlo33692; 21-10-2005 at 09:58 PM.

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by jlo33692
    SJS, You are right in saying they ,sobers and G Pollock are not small,but they were picking a team of 6 foot or smaller,I dont know the heights but i guess they did,Anyways We will go for ZinZans way and have the smalls against the talls on his heights, Does anyone know where we can find players height? as for Ponting i would be very surprised if he got near 5 foot 8 as he is a shorty ,like tendulkar,BTW who is the smallest and tallest playing today, Dont forget a lot of players play ODI and have not played test cricket as yet for the purpose of tall and smallest today in cricket.
    Would have to be Murrili,Tendulakr,Ponting,,,I tell you what i thought that Vaas was a tall ,i would have picked him to be about 6"2 ish,that is amazing if he is so short,like marshall not many blokes around that height that bowled like him,an outstanding cricketer and i would put him as a champion.
    Can we also start a team of telly tubbies,Players who have at one point or another been a tubby, i will try and pick an aussie side of telly tubbs,or Stocky built blokes.

Taylor
    Stackpole
    Boon
    Border

Marsh
    Gilmore
    Warne

Nup i give up,hehehe need help maybe just a world side of best porkers ever
    in would go Gatting,Botham,Inziman,Lara,who has put on a ton of weight and its showing in his cricket IMO. Now need more help.
    The short players issue was really to say the shorts were the better players in test cricket,with all the bradmans and Borders ,lara,Tendulkar ,gavaskar etc,all short and dominant in record books.
    Must be something about being short and being a batsman huh,,,
    I would be happy to take the tallest cricketers that have played international crickst (and the shortest) and try to make a team from those. as we fall short of an 11 we keep diluting the criteria ever so slightly to finally get an eleven that is as close to being the tallest or shortest as we can manage. The point being that height(with international cricket exposure) is the first qualification, cricketing merit secondary.

BTW, David Larter is another very tall fast bowler I have seen. He must have been above 5' 5" for sure.
    Last edited by SJS; 21-10-2005 at 10:07 PM.

Yes your right SJS
    we are getting away from the original point,Who is Larter?
    I think the first point to finding the answers is to find where they found all the cricketers heights,They seemed to have them all in alphabetical order and just pinging them out as quick as anyone could ask so they must be on a site somewhere,for without them we are guessing the heights and putting players in who maybe dont qualify,I think once we get the list of say 20 in each team we would get a good side from both and then see who we think has the better team.

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by jlo33692
    Yes your right SJS
    we are getting away from the original point,Who is Larter?
    I think the first point to finding the answers is to find where they found all the cricketers heights,They seemed to have them all in alphabetical order and just pinging them out as quick as anyone could ask so they must be on a site somewhere,for without them we are guessing the heights and putting players in who maybe dont qualify,I think once we get the list of say 20 in each team we would get a good side from both and then see who we think has the better team.
    David Larter was an England and Northamptonshire fast bowler of the sixties. Played ten tests for England with 5 wicksts in his debut innings (5-57 against Pakistan at the Oval 1962) and also, very intrestingly, 5 for 68 in his last innings against South Africa at Trent Bridge !! That must be rare I think - a five for in both one's debut and farewell bowling performance at test level.
    If we did find such a list it would take away the fun. We need to keep finding the tall players (and the short ones) and keep building the side. Keep improving it - heightwise primarily - until we cant do it anymore.

Availability of so much information on the net has taken away some of the pleasure of such excercises I think.
    Last edited by SJS; 21-10-2005 at 10:33 PM.

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Ok. Larter was 6'7". That makes these so far the confirmed heights of tall cricketers i have been able to locate.

Player.....Inches.....cms
    Garner.....80.....203.2
    Reid.........80.....203.2
    Moody......79.....200.7
    Ambrose...79.....200.7
    Grieg........79.....200.7
    Larter........79.....200.7
    Oram........78.....198.1
    Walsh.......77.....195.6

The heights were all in inches in the sources from where I took them and I have converted to cms at 2.54 per inch. Thus there is some approximation in cms.

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Here's another GJ Bonnor, the great Australian hitter was 6'6" or 198 cms.

George Bonnor played 17 tests for Australia in the eighties with 128 against England at Sydney in 1885 being his best test score.

I remember reading somewhere that he was also a brilliant fielder.

Fleming is tall, so is Franklin

McCullum and Hamish Marshall are pretty short
    50 cent is only half the dollar he could be
    MSN is warriors_fan@hotmail.com
    Manchester United, The All Blacks, The Black Caps and The Sydney Roosters All rock

Deja Moo's avater gives me nightmares

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    OK I found something !!

This article (its pretty old) lists some of the tallest, shortest and heaviest cricketers the writer could think of. It adds the following to my list of tall international cricketers.

1. LE Nagel : 6'6" (198cms)
    who played a solitary test in the bodyline sries and opened the Aussie attack getting the wickets of Hammond and pataudi Sr (not before both had got hundreds)

2. Fredrick Durston : 6'6" (198 cms)
    who played one test for England against australia in 1921 at Lord's , opened the bowling with Jhonny Wont Hit Today Douglas and took four wickets in the first innings including Armstrong and Macartney(whom he got again in the second) but never played again for England for some inexplicable reason inspite of a very successful first class career that ended 12 years later !!!

Some interesting names here for those looking for BIG cricketers by weight.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information