• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Martyn dropped from test squad

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Read what you just quoted and what you wrote.
Bugger changed his post as I was quoting him.

I'm an analyst, man; I don't do proof-reading. :D

EDIT: And now I just actually read his post and noticed he said both LBW's; I only saw 'Dar LBW' for some reason.

FYI, like I said, wasn't the Hoggard LBW, first dig, 4th Test, a dodgy?

Last edited:

Slow Love™

International Captain
Oh, now I get it - I had thought that greg was arguing that he didn't cop a bad one in the fourth. In my defence, the conversation was somewhat confusing. :)

Slow Love™

International Captain
Top_Cat said:
FYI, like I said, wasn't the Hoggard LBW, first dig, 4th Test, a dodgy?
Yeah, but his post is acknowledging that one.

Maybe he had something different there before it was edited, and that was the source of the misunderstanding? Otherwise, I blame you. :)

Linda

International Vice-Captain
SirBloody Idiot said:
Remembering Martyn is 33 Lynda.

They obviously think he hasn't got much more than two years.

Big boost for WA though.
Sure, he's 33 but hes nowhere near over the hill.
Plus, if that were the case, whys Hayden still in the Test team?

greg

International Debutant
Slow Love™ said:
Yeah, but his post is acknowledging that one.

Maybe he had something different there before it was edited, and that was the source of the misunderstanding? Otherwise, I blame you. :)
I haven't edited anything. TC said that Martyn was sawn off three times.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Top_Cat said:
The fact they dropped Martyn from the Test side, I think, is to put him on notice because on form, dropping him from Tests but keeping him in the ODI side is nonsensical. You get the feeling that there were a few more reasons other than performance for dropping him and keeping him in the ODI side seems like they've taken some sort of disciplinary measure because he was sawn-off in three innings in the series and when he did get a decent start, looked solid. It's possible a reason to the two soft dismissals in the second Test might have been noted, for example. I dunno, maybe he didn't appear cut up enough about it all. Certainly he wasn't playing a missing regularly like Hayden or getting out to the same sorts of deliveries like Gilchrist. A decent score, one got the feeling with Martyn, was only around the corner.

How on Earth does one player get 30 innings to score a Test ton and look pretty out of his depth all the way yet another has one bad series with plenty of bad luck to go with it and gets dropped? No, form is only one of the reasons I reckon. And picking Hopes, admittedly a decent prospect with the bat, for Hayden; WTF?

excellent post, very well said.

maybe we will get more information coming through tomorrow or at some stage, when/ if he does some media interviews.

Slow Love™

International Captain
greg said:
I haven't edited anything. TC said that Martyn was sawn off three times.
Was there any controversy about the one he copped at Lords to Harmy when he was on 65? I vaguely remember some complaints, but my memory's hazy.

He did got one back though with the one he nicked late in the series that nobody went up for.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Maybe he had something different there before it was edited, and that was the source of the misunderstanding? Otherwise, I blame you.
Nope, no editing. I'm a tool. I'm a tool tool tool.

Okay here we go; here is the list of Martyn's possibly dodgy.

Second dig, Old Trafford: http://aus.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2005/AUS_IN_ENG/SCORECARDS/AUS_ENG_T3_11-15AUG2005.html

First dig, Trent Bridge

http://aus.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2005/AUS_IN_ENG/SCORECARDS/AUS_ENG_T4_25-29AUG2005.html

Okay so those look to be it. The only one I can't really remember in the LBW in the second innings of the Lords Test but I don't think that was a dodgy?

EDIT: Testing the memory now;

1st Test;

1st innings - got a good one from Jones
2nd innings - LBW I don't remamber too well but thought I did

2nd Test

1st innings - Lazy running, out.
2nd innings - lazy swipe across the line, caught at mid-wicket.

3rd Test

1st innings - excellent delivery from Giles.
2nd innings - DODGY!

4th Test

1st innings - DODGY!
2nd innings - catch behind I don't recall; down the leg-side was it? Certainly I don't remember anything significant about it.

5th Test

1st innings - lazy pull-shot.

DId I miss anything?

Last edited:

greg

International Debutant
Slow Love™ said:
Was there any controversy about the one he copped at Lords to Harmy when he was on 65? I vaguely remember some complaints, but my memory's hazy.

He got one back though with the one he nicked late in the series that nobody went up for.
Don't think so. Probably one of those examples that some of your countryman brought up to complain that Australian batsmen were being given out LBW to balls which would have hit leg stump, whereas English batsmen weren't 8-)

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I am truely shocked! I didn't think Martyn would be the scapegoat, I thought he would have been given at least the Super Series game. I can't understand why he has been retained in the ODI side and not the test side, I thought it would be the other way around.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
I think the selectors should drop Warne. After all, he DID drop that catch off Pietersen...

howardj

International Coach
Top_Cat said:
The fact they dropped Martyn from the Test side, I think, is to put him on notice because on form, dropping him from Tests but keeping him in the ODI side is nonsensical. You get the feeling that there were a few more reasons other than performance for dropping him and keeping him in the ODI side seems like they've taken some sort of disciplinary measure because he was sawn-off in three innings in the series and when he did get a decent start, looked solid.
At 34, players don't get dropped to 'put them on notice'. Once they're dropped at that age, it's curtains on their career. I think you're reading way too much into it. The selectors want to stagger the exit of the older players, and Australia's failure in the Ashes (and the chronic underperformance of two of the older batsmen) gave the selectors their first 'opportunity'.

Top_Cat

At 34, players don't get dropped to 'put them on notice'. Once they're dropped at that age, it's curtains on their career. I think you're reading way too much into it. The selectors want to stagger the exit of the older players, and Australia's failure in the Ashes (and the chronic underperformance of two of the older batsmen) gave the selectors their first 'opportunity'.
Yeah but we're talking about a player who was still performing, save a bad series with a few (oops! I mean a 'couple' :D) dodgy decisions in it. At least he hasn't looked a prodding, poking mess like Hayden (one shaky knock on a road notwithstanding) or a rabbit in the headlights like Katich and Gilchrist. He's looked confident and assured and still in form. Dropping him surely can't be all about form!

Mister Wright

Linda said:
Thats never stopped them before.
Players who have struggled for a fair while generally don't get dropped the test after making a century. I think I read somewhere that Jones, Boon and maybe Geoff Marsh were all dropped about 3 tests after they scored a hundred.

Slow Love™

International Captain
howardj said:
How many people actually think that Martyn's career is over, though? I'd be very surprised if this were true - I'm going to wait and see what happens when the WI squad is announced.

EDIT: And it makes even less sense to keep him on in the ODIs, if your theory is true.

Last edited:

Mister Wright

Top_Cat said:
Yeah but we're talking about a player who was still performing, save a bad series with a few (oops! I mean a 'couple' :D) dodgy decisions in it. At least he hasn't looked a prodding, poking mess like Hayden (one shaky knock on a road notwithstanding) or a rabbit in the headlights like Katich and Gilchrist. He's looked confident and assured and still in form. Dropping him surely can't be all about form!
I wouldn't say he looked confident and assured on the Ashes tour. It can often be a mask to how a player is batting when they are as elegant as Martyn. As Robert Craddick said in one of his post-Ashes column even though Martyn did recieve two terrible decisions he wasn't excatly putting himself into a position with those shots where it was obvious he wasn't out.

Some of the dismissals that Martyn got out to weren't that crash hot, being bowled by Giles and in particular his last innings.

That's not saying I thought he should have been dropped.

greg

International Debutant
Slow Love™ said:

He did got one back though with the one he nicked late in the series that nobody went up for.
There were two of those. Although the Old Trafford one there was LITERALLY no appeal. At least the bowler went up at the Oval.