Martyn
    Symonds
    Watson
    Hussey
    Katich
    Lee
    Hogg
    McGrath

using Lee as a pinch hitter to change it up abit might come off on occasion too.

So where's the bowling attack then?

And to send Lee up would then mean Katich at 9?
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

School Boy/Girl Captain Go_India's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Linda
    Its great to hear youve come to your senses.
    If thats about martin then i cant see him in the team, what has he done in the entire series???
    Sachin Tendulkar: My favourite!!!!!!

International Vice-Captain Linda's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Go_India
    If thats about martin then i cant see him in the team, what has he done in the entire series???
    He's done nothing, but thats not the point. He's done everything that was asked of him for the last 18 months, however, and not too bad up to that point either.

I cant even be bothered arguing it again. Ive done it countless amounts of times, I really dont understand why so many people want to drop Martyn the minute hes down on form.

"I know I underperformed but after the past 18 months I thought I might have received more than four Test matches' grace."
    - DR Martyn.

"Is there any way to make it longer?"
    Peter English on Twenty20

Official Face of the v. hip 'Twenty20 Is Boring Society'

Hexxagon Champion!
    Millhouse: you know when your dog ate my goldfish bart and you told me i never had a goldfish, then why did i have the bowl bart! why did i have the bowl!!!!
    Karthik_moo@hotmail.com
    Member of the MSC and the AAAS
    Wanna Search ?
    Waughney : We are well taken care of here at the Rehab centre.

Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    I think Australia have to find a way to get Jaques and Watson in the side, they have to look towards the future. Guys like Hayden, Katich, Hussey, or Hodge are no longer long term options for Australia. These guys might be good enough to play for Australia for 2-4 years, but they need to look at building a side around guys like Clarke, Tait, Watson and Jaques, and get them into the side while Warne, McGrath and Gilchrist are still around. My side for the SuperTest:
    1. J Langer
    2. P Jaques
    3. R Ponting
    4. D Martyn
    5. M Clarke (vc)
    6. A Gilchrist (wk/c)
    7. S Watson
    8. S Warne
    9. B Lee
    10. G McGrath
    11. S Tait

Who cares if they lose this game, its only on to make money away
    The man, the mountain, the Mathews. The greatest all rounder since Keith Miller. (Y)

Jaffna Jets CC (Battrick & FTP)

RIP WCC and CW Cricket

Member of the MSC, JMAS and CVAAS

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    If you're going to change the captain, why Gilchrist over Warne? It can't be the age issue, since both of them are nearing retirement, and Warne is clearly the better cricketing brain.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad
    If you're going to change the captain, why Gilchrist over Warne? It can't be the age issue, since both of them are nearing retirement, and Warne is clearly the better cricketing brain.
    Who was the captain for most of the series when Australia beat India...

I don't think Warne cricketing brain is that great, outside spin bowling

International Regular chris.hinton's Avatar
    my Aussie Blueprint

"For England to keep hold of the Ashes for the next 200 years"

HAHAHAHA

2-1 2-1

Hexxagon Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by chris.hinton
    my Aussie Blueprint

"For England to keep hold of the Ashes for the next 200 years"

HAHAHAHA

2-1 2-1
    If I'm not mistaken, you guys have held onto the original urn ever since the bails were burnt. Ever thought of actually letting the victorious team keep possession ?

International Coach Barney Rubble's Avatar
    Just out of interest, I'm hearing a lot of talk since the series finished about this bloke Mitchell Johnson - if he is, indeed, "a once in a lifetime bowler", then what is it that makes him so? And how long will it be before we see him in international cricket?

Quote Originally Posted by chaminda_00
    Who was the captain for most of the series when Australia beat India...

I don't think Warne cricketing brain is that great, outside spin bowling
    That was Ponting's team. Gilchrist did well in that series, but Warne is a cricketing genius and has worked wonders with Hampshire since he took over there. There's no doubt that if the captain was picked on pure tactical merit alone (which it would be if Ponting was dismissed, surely), it has to be Warne.

Quote Originally Posted by Barney Rubble
    Just out of interest, I'm hearing a lot of talk since the series finished about this bloke Mitchell Johnson - if he is, indeed, "a once in a lifetime bowler", then what is it that makes him so? And how long will it be before we see him in international cricket?
    Not sure what's so once in a lifetime about him, but that is indeed what Lillee said. Well, he's extremely quick and a left-armer with a whippy sort of action and a big jump. Not, so far as I know, a huge mover of the ball or particularly accurate. Not yet a regular in the Queensland first class lineup, but he's played a few games there and he's currently with the Australia A team in Pakistan.

PY
    Quote Originally Posted by Deja moo
    If I'm not mistaken, you guys have held onto the original urn ever since the bails were burnt. Ever thought of actually letting the victorious team keep possession ?
    It seems to me that it's a little pointless shifting it around possibly every two years (it'd have to travel with which ever team was touring etc) just for the sake of it.

I have to admit, it would be a good idea to let the convicts have it for a while for people who will never get the chance to travel here to see it but in all honesty, I think there's too much of a risk to transport it a lot. Plus the players aren't playing for the actual urn, they are playing for what the urn means.
    A True Champion - Bob. Rest in peace. 15/04/06
    "People today have too big a devil and too small a God"

- Stephen Currie

"The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?" Psalm 27:1

International Coach Barney Rubble's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad
    Not sure what's so once in a lifetime about him, but that is indeed what Lillee said. Well, he's extremely quick and a left-armer with a whippy sort of action and a big jump. Not, so far as I know, a huge mover of the ball or particularly accurate. Not yet a regular in the Queensland first class lineup, but he's played a few games there and he's currently with the Australia A team in Pakistan.
    Sounds a little like another Tait to me.

And how quick are we talking? Harmison-quick, Lee-quick, or what-the-hell-was-that quick?

Quote Originally Posted by Barney Rubble
    Sounds a little like another Tait to me.

And how quick are we talking? Harmison-quick, Lee-quick, or what-the-hell-was-that quick?
    Not sure. Like Tait, he's never been clocked in domestic cricket. The fastest bowlers in Australian cricket right now excluding Lee are generally considered to be Tait, Johnson and Bird though (although Bird is currently having his action remodelled because he was chucking it and might come out slower). Tait, as we've seen is certainly Lee pace and maybe capable of being even quicker. I would say at a guess that Johnson is more in the Harmison spectrum, but it's quite hard to say, and he's a bit injury prone so might slow down anyway.

I wouldn't say he's much like Tait really, he's more like a young left-arm Lee, except he is probably a bit slower and has better height (in terms of release point) because of his big jump and action. His problem is definately accuracy right now anyway. Once he starts playing regularly for Queensland we'll get a better idea of how good he is.

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information