• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Get Vaughan to open again

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pedro Delgado said:
What we've lost as a batsman, we've gained as a skipper. To be honest though who knows, it could be argued that Mick wouldn't have kept his form up to that standard anyway regardless of the captaincy.
I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever that he wouldn't have kept-up the standard anyway, and I feel the captaincy has little or no effect whatsoever.
As such it's intensely irritating that the captaincy was given him when it was.

tooextracool

International Coach
Steulen said:
If you take this statement literally, it's actually completely nonsensical. Being in the form of your life means you are doing better than you ever have and ever will again. Logically, your results will go down after this period of brilliant form. Whether or not you're captain has nothing to do with it. FYI, in my job we call this the natural course fallacy, although you could make a case of it being regression to the mean :book: :ph34r:
no he might not have been as brilliant as he was in australia, but the fact is that its quite possible for him to have performed as consistently as he had been performing before that. its just a bit strange that in the same series in which he took over captaincy, the test before he took over captaincy he scored a big 100, and in the next 4 he struggled miserably.

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
The effect on Vaughan's batting of the captaincy is massively overstated.
What affected Vaughan's batting was not the captaincy, it was the fact that his luck - which he benefited from copious amounts of in 2002 - dried-up.
you can keep saying it all you want, even if you look at his FC average in 2002, its still far better than his average since.