• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who's the worst umpire on the ICC elite panel?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
aussie said:
well presnetly i am not sure, if asoka desila is still on the paneli'd say him. But the worst ever is another sri lankan in B.C.Cooray all english fans will remember his horrible decision when england were their in 2001 :dry:
aussie said:
well i should add peter manuel in the 1st test off that series he gave stewart out LBW off Jayasuriya to a ball that pitch way outside leg when himself & Tres were batting well & then lead to a slide in the england batting line-up.

With Cooray now his decison were againts ENG & SRI, he gave Jayasuriya out caught at slip off Caddick of a ball that sanath said was a bump ball & for england i remember stewart being caught in close of Murali & blind cooray gave him not out & White was out plumb LBW also off murali & was given not out........
Manuel and Cooray were both exceptionally poor that tour, but frankly I didn't mind much as Manuel's abysmalness (added to by the fact that Jayaprakash was poor) was completely and immidiately reversed by Cooray's terrible decisions the following game.
Thing is, of course, Cooray wasn't at all bad in plenty of previous games.
Of course, the answer to this question:
Tim said:
How Asoka ever got onto the panel I will never know
lies in the fact that after the terrible Sri Lankan Umpiring in the first 2 Tests Asoka came in for the Third and was exemplary.
And as we all know, one good game makes neither a player nor an Umpire.
And as to the best... Koertzen wins hands-down for me. Dar, Taufel and Bowden when not Umpiring in an Australian game are not far behind.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
Any thoughts about who should come up to the elite panel to replace Shep?
Simon Davis from Australia, he made some great decisions during the the VB series.....

howardj

International Coach
Richard said:
:-O :eek:
Certainly Lloyds has been far from poor every time I've watched him in the last 4 years.
Where does that come from?
Out here in Australia in the Melbourne Test last summer.

Gave a few shockers when Warne was bowling.

Honestly, he had absolutely no idea.

He was overwhelmed by the aura of Warne.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
howardj said:
Jeremy Lloyds would be up there
Pulled that one from the air, didn't you?

I reckon Jeremy Lloyds has that rarity you don't see much nowadays - a decent dose of common sense. Could well turn out to be a tremendous umpire.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
howardj said:

I was intrigued by what you said so had a dig through the ball-by-ball (I never saw anything of that match).
There were two leg-befores given in Warne's favour during that match.

This one sounds nailed on out......

105.2 Warne to Mohammad Sami, OUT: LEG BEFORE WICKET! full toss,
attempted sweep, misses, hit full on the pad in line with middle
and leg, appeal and decision given immediately

This one, I'll grant you, sounds decidedly iffy

43.3 Warne to Kamran Akmal, OUT: LEG BEFORE WICKET! pads up to a leg
break pitched outside leg, long way forward, big shout for lbw
upheld by umpire Koertzen

Only problem is, it was Rudi Koertzen - and that's the only test Jeremy Lloyds has ever umpired in Australia..

howardj

International Coach
luckyeddie said:
I was intrigued by what you said so had a dig through the ball-by-ball (I never saw anything of that match).

Only problem is, it was Rudi Koertzen - and that's the only test Jeremy Lloyds has ever umpired in Australia..
My memory may have played tricks on me then. But he did give at least two shockers in that game - and he was overwhelmed by the Aussies. Ive got no reason to make it up - he's never turned me down for an autograph or anything like that!

howardj

International Coach
luckyeddie said:

Or it may have been in the 3rd Test in NZ, where he umpired Australia.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
howardj said:
My memory may have played tricks on me then. But he did give at least two shockers in that game - and he was overwhelmed by the Aussies. Ive got no reason to make it up - he's never turned me down for an autograph or anything like that!
It's easy to get confused - after all, one umpire looks just the same as any other when you get to my age - blurry in a white coat.

It's strange that Lloyds has the air of being a man who exudes an air of calm yet can be authoritative when he needs to be (ok, I stole that from the Cricinfo page) as was shown when he reported Tino Best for deliberately getting in a batsman's way some time ago.

Doesn't sound like a guy who would be bullied - and just to be sure, I revisited the Cricinfo Ball-by-Ball of the game you allude to, in order to determine whether there could be other decisions given in favour of someone OTHER THAN Warne (because we have to be talking lbw's here, yes?) - I like to be thorough.

Couldn't find any 'incident' which caused concern - and often, when there's a dodgy decision, especially where replays are involved, the Ball-by-Ball commentator likes to give his opinion - I know I do. :D, and cricket's all about opinions.

Let's leave it at that, eh?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
howardj said:
Or it may have been in the 3rd Test in NZ, where he umpired Australia.
I'm not even going there - sorry, I've chased by tail enough for one day. You cannot defeat an 'opinion' - even with the benefit of hindsight.

I concede.

howardj said:

I've always thought Lloyds was a great umpire.

One of the best of all time infact.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Honestly. 8-)
How can someone who's done 5 Tests and 14 ODIs - however well - be one of the best of all-time.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Richard said:
How can someone who's done 5 Tests and 14 ODIs - however well - be one of the best of all-time.
I don't think total matches played has anything to do with it. Going by that criteria, Barry Richards was not one of the greatest batsmen of all time and Steve Bucknor is the King of umpires.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Best Current International Umpire: Aleem Dar
Worst Current International Umpire: Steve Bucknor
Best International Umpire I Have Seen: Peter Willey
Worst International Umpire I Have Seen: Shakoor Rana