• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies in Sri Lanka

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
More news on Windies player dispute now with the sponsor Digicel being concerned that their name and reputation may suffer because of being associated with this dispute.

http://content.cricinfo.com/westindies/content/story/213044.html

But reading on I notice the Windies players are demanding US$ 150,000 each just for turning up in SL !! :wacko:

http://content.cricinfo.com/westindies/content/story/212993.html

Does anyone else think that is exorbitant amount for a team that is currently ranked pretty low in both forms of the game and apart from players of the calibre of Lara , Sarwan and Chanderpaul the others are pretty mediocre to demand or deserve that amount of money , IMO.

Last edited:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
This is getting very confusing !! :wacko: More so because a majority of Windies A team players now playing for the Windies main Team !! :D

There are 2 games going on in Colombo between West Indies and Sri Lanka in 2 grounds less than 3-4 miles apart !! :blink:

Here are the links score cards..
http://nz.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2005/WI_IN_SL/SCORECARDS/WI_SLC-XI_09-10JUL2005.html

http://nz.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2005/WI-A_IN_SL/SCORECARDS/WI-A_SL-A_07-10JUL2005.html

? perhaps a sign of things to come for the West Indies !!

If it is then Both Tests will be over under 2 days !! :blink:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
BTW Moderators , How about sticking this thread now since the Windies are playing A tests and First Test due to start in less than a week ?

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
JASON said:
But reading on I notice the Windies players are demanding US$ 150,000 each just for turning up in SL !! :wacko:
Where does it say that?
Cricinfo said:
WIPA has been demanding an appearance fee of US$150,000 for the Sri Lanka tour, but the WICB said it could only offer US$50,000.
Sounds to me as though the WIPA are asking for $150,000 (which they will presumably distribute amongst the players) rather than the players asking for $150,000 each. I highly doubt the WICB could afford to offer $50,000 to each player anyway. I could be wrong though...

shaka

International Regular
I doubt his contract would stipulate whether or not he can play in a non West Indies match.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
I don't think they can stop him. Why would they want to anyway? Besides it's under the jurisdiction of the ICC.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
the first test starts tomoro morning (English time), 12:30 Caribbean time. My sympathies for the windies they could be in for a beating.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
well theyre reserves didnt do badly against south africa....mind you that was down to hinds and chanderpaul alone really.....and sri lanka are tough to beat at home......looks like windies are in for a tough time.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Those reserves were much better than this lot. The bowlers were better and the batsmen more proven. I do hope however that certain players do well.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Morton on Test debut has made 43. Windies not doing too badly ay 3/98 !!

I believe the Sri Lankans under pressure to finish Windies and Test in a quick hurry IMO. (considering the depleted team).

If Windies stretch this to 3rd or 4th day they would have achieved a victory of sorts, IMO !!

Last edited:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Honestly, I don't think the West Indies would be too unhappy with 6/212 at tea on day one. The wicket is probably a big turner, and keeping Murali out for 58 overs with an inexperienced bowling lineup is a good effort. If they can survive to stumps, it will be a moral victory for them.

Steulen

International Regular
Been watching the action since tea, haven't seen a single ball turn; and Murali has been bowling continuously.

Malinga has a funny action, though.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Steulen said:
Been watching the action since tea, haven't seen a single ball turn; and Murali has been bowling continuously.

It's a round-arm 'sling', very Thommo.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Steulen said:

Really? Cricinfo keeps talking about "sharp-turning off breaks" and so on.