• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Ashes are coming home!

simmy

International Regular
Every Englishmen knew what this team was capable of. Everytime I, or anyone else mentioned anything positive about the side it would be shot down by some smartass comment of how good McGrath or Ponting was or how overrated Flintoff seemed to be.

I now hope that every Aussie has hangs his deflated head in shame! You werent just beaten today... you were raped! In every facet of our great sport: England dominated :D

You can say that this was a one-off win in a meaningless Twenty20 game but are there any positives to be drawn from the Aus performance? No.

Flintoff.. who much hyped as influential to a victory need not have turned up and by the time Harmison had balled a ball the game was won.

So many times I heard about the Bangladeshi fixtures being pointless and Eng not getting anything out of them... well to be honest... on today's performance the Aus would have struggled to beat them.

An old "codger", who I actually predicted to get a hattrick (wasnt far off) and a debutant skittled the entire batting line-up of the supposed "best side in the world".

The Aussies looked scared... The Ashes are coming home!

PY

International Coach
Hit me now, in the face, with a 20-foot pole which has been wrapped in rusting barbed-wire.

Quickly, before I have to read it again.

simmy

International Regular
Im only getting "carried away" because the Eng team made the Aus look weak and frightened. Giving their wickets away... ironically like the England of old used to. Vaughan has got a worldbeating team here. Noone can deny this,

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
England won a relatively insignificant game very comfortably and thoughroughly outplayed Australia in every facet of the match. Don't read into it any further than that. It was ONE game, and it was only 20/20.

If they play that well in the NWS too, then I'll sit up and take notice.

PY

International Coach
One of the best ODI innings I've had the pleasure of watching on TV from Ben Hollioake (R.I.P.) purely because it was so exciting to see it from a young England player rather than the other way round.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
agreed, considering most of the aussie team havnt played much 20/20 anyway this proves very little, this may be a morale booster but essentially it wont be anything more than that, this will have no bearings on the test matches, and they will bounce back, mark my words.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
sledger said:
agreed, considering most of the aussie team havnt played much 20/20 anyway this proves very little, this may be a morale booster but essentially it wont be anything more than that, this will have no bearings on the test matches, and they will bounce back, mark my words.
IIRC the Aussie team had played as much if not more Twenty20 games that the English, not that it matters

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
i dont care what anyone says this win here will give england the world of confidence, but i dont see how them winnings a crzy 20/20 international will help them to win the ashes since its a whole different situation all together but it will give eng the confidence that we can beat the australians

simmy

International Regular
It just shows the transformation under Vaughan. It was obvious how much they were all pumped up (Gough in particular), for once it maybe the Aussies running scared! This is a huge confidence booster... especially after all the derogatory press that Aussies gave. Stuff like "only Flintoff will get in my side (Ponting)." So good to see the smile off those faces! Next time Vaughan, Flintoff, Harmison and Solanki may actually need to turn up!

Michael Clarke was brilliant by the way.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
simmy said:
Stuff like "only Flintoff will get in my side (Ponting)." .
Except he's not Australian? :p I think "Only Flintoff could get in my side (Ponting)" would be more appropriate and taking the (Ponting) out of the inverted commas would be even better :p

simmy

International Regular
Well he is wrong whichever way you look at it! (I am typing very fast because of my anger).

tooextracool

International Coach
simmy said:
Stuff like "only Flintoff will get in my side (Ponting)."
other than possibly strauss for hayden(and even that seems premature given strauss isnt proven yet), who else is proven good enough to replace the other aussies?

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
steds said:
Thank you. we should not forget that. Looking it Aus innings will in detail, the got off to abit of a flyer and then it all went downhill. we should keep that in consideration and just take everything as it comes, when it comes as best as we can. Remember that this team has dominated world cricket for so long, that they have developed a great amount of something called bouncebackabilty so they will not go and hang there heads after something this minor. England should brace themselves for a possible backlash in uor next encounter, and knowing England's recent ODI perfomances, i wouldn't bet against a sound English beating

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
this is now two hyped games that england have beaten australia now, i think it will be getting to them