• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Indian cricket starting to hinge on Sehwag??

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
why the hell can't indian cricket "hinge" on a team rather than a star player or two? :@

Deja moo

International Captain
SJS said:
NO. Kaif isnt a 15 overs player AND he doesnt seem to have a great backfoot game which fact people keep forgetting when selecting openers.
Strange then how well Kaif performed his role whenever hes been sent in within the first 15 overs. Think WC games vs Pakistan and NZ and the last series in England.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Deja moo said:
Strange then how well Kaif performed his role whenever hes been sent in within the first 15 overs. Think WC games vs Pakistan and NZ and the last series in England.
Dravid may perform well in first 15 overs too.

What I meant by Kaif not having a 15-over-game was that he is not a swashbuckling big-stroking batsman. He can still score very quickly. It is like saying that Bevan was not a 15 over batsman, that doesnt mean he would not score fairly briskly as well. But that they will do at any place in the order. But they wont DESTROY an opening attack as Sachin or Sehwag or Gilchrist will.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think Kaif should bat at 3 with Dravid at 4 simply because maybe it will bring the best out of Kaif when he knows that Dravid is still there to come in after him. Plus, Kaif has done decently everytime he has walked in within the first 15. Dravid at 4 because these days, he seems to be very good at playing the middle overs and this would be ideal for him and from India's point of view, Kaif would gain valuable experience by facing the new ball from time to time because he would be batting at no.3.

Sachin
Sehwag
Kaif
Dravid
Yuvraj
Badani
Dhoni

Badani's place can be given to any promising batsmen who is in good nick and who can perform the role of batting at no.6 efficiently....

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
JASON said:
Count the total population of all crickeing nations and take the Indian population as a proportion of that and then you wont be surprised :sleep:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
SJS said:
Count the total population of all crickeing nations and take the Indian population as a proportion of that and then you wont be surprised :sleep:
Didn't mean to upset you , O' holy one !! :D :D

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
JASON said:
Didn't mean to upset you , O' holy one !! :D :D
Come on Jason. I am not upset. Just pointing out a fact.

If I was upset, I would have said something like, 75% of the money the game generates comes from India :)

My problem is not with so many India and subcontinent dominated threads but with the lack of solid content in them.

There are some very god posters from the subcontinent but the over all standards arent great , unfortunately.

Sachin1989

Cricket Spectator
I think that batting does revolve around Sehwag, however, India are not good in ODI's as they can't chase... why? i think it's because they do not have the bowlers.. yes they have Balaji, Pathan, Kumble, Zaheer and Harbhajan... but they are not strike bowlers like McGrath.. the indian batting is for the majority of the time trying to keep up with the run rate of the other team.. it makes it even more difficult for people like Dravid to come in and start where the other batsmen left off.... they need to rethink their batting ways.. not the order.... if they can set themselves say 80-90 in the first 15 overs and then play themselves in the rest it will be better as now.. majority of the runs are being scored in the middle part of the innings... if two indian batsmen can be set, they wil play a lot better...

godofcricket

State 12th Man
I think india is starting to depend quite heavily on Sehwag now.....tendulkar doesnt seem threatful anymore, well atleast for quite some time. india should try another opener, simply becuase it wouldnt matter if u put sachin 1-2 down as his game has slowed down a bit. Ganguly might be a better option as he can also get his form back becuase his natural game is attacking early on, with sehwag on the other end. My batting line-up would look something like this for india :

1: Sehwag
2: Ganguly
3: Tendulkar
4: Dravid
5: Yuvraj
6: Dhoni
7: Kaif
8: Pathan
9: Zaheer
10:Bhajji
11:Nehra/Balaji

I have put Pathan in becuase i know he will make a come-back, for me he is the most talented of fast bowlers india have, its just that he is on the lower side when it comes to confidence.