• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ian Healy's Ashes predictions

The Daddy

Cricket Spectator
I can't believe what I've just seen in a Sunday newspaper....Ian Healy is predicting that Australia will win The Ashes 5 - 0, he's either been misquoted or he's forgotten what the weather is like over here! :cool:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
The Daddy said:
I can't believe what I've just seen in a Sunday newspaper....Ian Healy is predicting that Australia will win The Ashes 5 - 0, he's either been misquoted or he's forgotten what the weather is like over here! :cool:
No, Ian Healy is just the latest in a long line of prats. He genuinely believes that by saying that it will be 5-0, he is 'doing his bit' for the convicts.

The Daddy

Cricket Spectator
luckyeddie said:
No, Ian Healy is just the latest in a long line of prats. He genuinely believes that by saying that it will be 5-0, he is 'doing his bit' for the convicts.

Yeah, I've seen a lot of them on other websites predicting 5-0. Unfortunately for them the England bowling attack is looking pretty good for this summer if they all stay fit....even Harmy is coming back into some form now he is back on home soil.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
The Daddy said:
Yeah, I've seen a lot of them on other websites predicting 5-0. Unfortunately for them the England bowling attack is looking pretty good for this summer if they all stay fit....even Harmy is coming back into some form now he is back on home soil.
Careful...

You'll have one or two people on here thinking that you're predicting that England aren't going to just roll over and die like they're supposed to.

From what I've seen over the last year, England's greatest weapon could turn out to be Ricky Ponting's captaincy.

The Daddy

Cricket Spectator
luckyeddie said:
Careful...

You'll have one or two people on here thinking that you're predicting that England aren't going to just roll over and die like they're supposed to.

From what I've seen over the last year, England's greatest weapon could turn out to be Ricky Ponting's captaincy.
:D Exactly my point, for everybody out there...I am predicting England will not roll over and die this summer.

Punter's captaincy will be one of their downfalls, the other (apart from Warne) will be their rather past it bowling attack. :wacko:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Blaze said:
I don't think it wil be that severe but i wouldn't be surprised if it was
If Australia are going to win 5-0, I really think that they would need the rub of the green - and that would include winning the toss in every game.

Note I'm not saying that Australia need to win the toss in order to win, but given the Aussies' record for just putting their feet up and going to the pub when a series is in the bag (witness any number of series in the last 10 years when the 'dead rubber' comes along), what makes anyone think that their attitude this series will be any different from what we've seen in the past?

cameeel

International Captain
luckyeddie said:
Harsh, but i agree it wont be 5-0, 3-2 for aus i reckon

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
The Daddy said:
Punter's captaincy will be one of their downfalls, the other (apart from Warne) will be their rather past it bowling attack. :wacko:
Who's past it exactly? Gillespie's not in great form but he's still on the right side of 30, McGrath is in the form of his life, Kasprowicz and Lee are both peaking. If anyone is past it, it would be Warne, and he's not exactly useless either.

I agree Ponting's captaincy isn't the greatest, but it's not the worst either, and Gilchrist is a very handy tactician and he's out there as well.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
cameeel said:
Harsh, but i agree it wont be 5-0, 3-2 for aus i reckon
It was just a throw-away wind-up line. The Ashes are ages away at the moment but it's nice to have a bit of a discussion. I'm going for 3-1 to Australia - I've been saying that ever since the start of last year and I'm not going to change my mind now.

(mind you, a tenner at the bookies on 2-1 to England might give me a bit of fun - at least until the end of the Edgbaston test).

The Daddy

Cricket Spectator
FaaipDeOiad said:
Who's past it exactly? Gillespie's not in great form but he's still on the right side of 30, McGrath is in the form of his life, Kasprowicz and Lee are both peaking. If anyone is past it, it would be Warne, and he's not exactly useless either.

I agree Ponting's captaincy isn't the greatest, but it's not the worst either, and Gilchrist is a very handy tactician and he's out there as well.

Just trying to provoke discussion....

I do actually agree with most of what you say about your bowling attack, it's just that Dizzy and Pidgeon do not hold any surprises for our batters on English wickets and Bing is too wayward for my liking. Kasper and Warney are a different story though.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
FaaipDeOiad said:

I agree as far as McGrath's form, but Brett Lee couldn't 'peak' if you blindfolded him badly.

I'm kidding a bit about Ponting's captaincy - his ODI record pretty well speaks for itself but I reckon I could captain the 2003 vintage Aussie ODI side (biggest problem would be where to hide myself in the field, of course) and in tests he's really not had much of an examination.

Warne is the deciding factor, IMO. If he's off form and England don't have to bat last too often, then it could be extremely close.

cameeel

International Captain
Any laying down could just be a result of australia's reputation, they lose one and mentally its all over?

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
cameeel said:
Any laying down could just be a result of australia's reputation, they lose one and mentally its all over?
Thats what seems to usually happen in an Ashes series. The English are a bit better mentally, IMHO, with the team they have now. But some of these guys have not come up against the Aussies. That will surely test their mental strength.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
The Daddy said:
Just trying to provoke discussion....

I do actually agree with most of what you say about your bowling attack, it's just that Dizzy and Pidgeon do not hold any surprises for our batters on English wickets and Bing is too wayward for my liking. Kasper and Warney are a different story though.
I don't think McGrath really needs to have any "surprises", and he has actually added a couple of new strings to his bow lately, notably his increased use of swing, both conventional and reverse (although the latter is not likely to be a huge factor in English conditions). He's still averaged under 20 comfortably since his return, without surprising anybody. I'm a convert to Lee in the last few months and if picked I expect him to be successful. Even if he's not, Kasprowicz I can see causing a lot of problems for the English left-handers, and Gillespie at his best is as good as anyone. Warne's record in Ashes series of course speaks for itself.

Rather than the bowling, I'd think the potentially brittle nature of the Australian batting on bowler-friendly wickets is probably the main weakness. Since the Indian series at home Australia has had a problem with collapsing only to recover through the lower order, with Hayden and Ponting not having great years. It even happened in New Zealand, and they don't exactly have the strongest bowling attack in the world. The key to beating Australia is keeping pressure on them for 5 days rather than 2 or 3, and so far nobody has really been able to do that, but if England play out of their skin I can see them winning at least a test or two. My prediction is 3-1 Australia.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
benchmark00 said:
So do you think that Australia only whitewash teams because they simply 'lay down'....??
Not at all - all I'm saying is that I have heard the same tired ridiculous 5-0 predictions churned out over and over again by people who really ought to have more sense.

Remember how you were supposed to roll Bangladesh over in a day?

Australia whitewash sides because at the moment they are head and shoulders above anybode else - but they have this propensity for quitting - having one foot on the plane, so to speak, at the end of tours.

The list of Aussies making stupid predictions in the past is endless - and invariably they end up with egg over their faces (not that the final result - an Aussie series win - is ever really in doubt).

It's the quite pathetic arrogance from certain pundits which winds me up. Just because a bonehead makes a ridiculous prediction doesn't make it true, no matter how much he believes it. Just shows that the more things change, the more they stay the same.

The Daddy

Cricket Spectator
Yep, 3 - 1 would be my prediction too, Australia are notorious for losing a dead rubber game. I think you're right, nobody appears to be able to exert 5 days of pressure on the Aussies, but the current England team is the number 2 team in the world at the moment (IMO) and will definitely be the Aussies toughest series for a while.

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
luckyeddie said:
Not at all - all I'm saying is that I have heard the same tired ridiculous 5-0 predictions churned out over and over again by people who really ought to have more sense.

Remember how you were supposed to roll Bangladesh over in a day?

Australia whitewash sides because at the moment they are head and shoulders above anybode else - but they have this propensity for quitting - having one foot on the plane, so to speak, at the end of tours.

The list of Aussies making stupid predictions in the past is endless - and invariably they end up with egg over their faces (not that the final result - an Aussie series win - is ever really in doubt).

It's the quite pathetic arrogance from certain pundits which winds me up. Just because a bonehead makes a ridiculous prediction doesn't make it true, no matter how much he believes it. Just shows that the more things change, the more they stay the same.
Much like Ian Chappell (I think) predicting that India would go down 4-0 when they toured here last.

Eddie has got it right when the Aussies usually have one foot on the plane at the end of a tour, hence the Aussies lose the last Test of a series or the last couple of one dayers. It was more apparent under the captaincy of Steve Waugh and it really irritated me to see the Aussies dominate a Test or ODI series only to lose the last one through sheer laziness.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
In (sort-of) defence of Healy and on reflection, he's been around long enough to have seen a couple of 'false dawns' in English test cricket - and it could just be his own way of sticking two fingers up at our own ridiculous press who went over the top in a similar hyperbolic fashion after the first win in South Africa (that was going to be a whitewash too).