• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Stuart MacGill - A Career at the Crossroads - Artilce Critique and Comments

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
He was quite impressive in the few chances he got. Agreed, the Aussie strength lies with pace, but if they have 2 two good(match winning) spinners, they should find room for both. He could have given Warne a good run for his money and possibly even replaced him, had the selectors been fair to him.

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
Wasnt MacGill the first choice in the WI/Aus series just before WC99, and Warne was very close to his career end, and the WC99 quite miraculously resurrected his career?

He can turn the bowl feverishly, but I dont think he is as mentally tough as Warne, and for a spinner its crucial to fight through adversity. He could obvioulsy develop that as his career goes on.

R_Powell_fan

U19 Captain
Here royGilchrist made a good point, mental toughness, remember the miserable tour Wi had of Australia, at one time I don't remember exactly the figures but Lara took that attack to him smashing 32 runs off him in two overs and kept smashing himaway and he had absoulotely no answer as he conceided a heap of runs in other overs of that spell and was taken off, I can bet that had Warne been bowling and at his best he would have handled the situation better, because his control is better than Macgill and he has lots and lots of variations both in deliveries and line, length and resultantly flight.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
He can turn the bowl feverishly, but I dont think he is as mentally tough as Warne, and for a spinner its crucial to fight through adversity. He could obvioulsy develop that as his career goes on.
Exactly. His career has not been allowed to go on. How else can he develop into a more mature bowler? Also, Lara gives the treatment to most bowlers when he is in form. MacGill shouldn't be judged harshly based on that. How about Warne against Indians? For all his control and variation and more importantly spinning wickets, they swat him around like a fly and it is not only a couple of top batsmen like Tendulkar and Dravid, but the whole lot of them.