• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

"Suspect action"

username1234

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
hey guys, i was just whatching the nz vrs sri lanka test match when i saw sri lanka's opening bowler bowling i cant remember his name but this guy looks like the biggest chucker to ever play the game i mean surely Knowone should be allowed to bowl with an action like that. Has the icc passed him as a legit bowler? because to be honest i have never seen someone chuck a ball is badly as him.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
I assume you`re thinking of Vaas. And he most certainly does not chuck.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
username1234 said:
No not vaas of course he doesn't chuck. the name is SL Malinga.
Hahaha... alright then, sorry. Well, I assure you, Malinga does not chuck. Just because his action is vastly different to other bowlers, doesn`t mean he chucks. He has a flingy action, and gets a lot of pace from his shoulder rotation. His arm is actually a lot straighter during his delivery stride, which would make him less likely to chuck than other bowlers! :)

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I think Malinga the Slinga's action is fine - round arm, yes, but I don't see anything wrong with the actual arm as such.

telsor

U19 12th Man
Malinga has an unusual action, but it's actually probably a better one than most bowlers around today. Akin to Jeff Thomson really, and almost impossible to chuck with it due to it's perculiarities.

thierry henry

International Coach
Malinga certainly does not chuck. Infact, I daresay his action is almost the polar opposite of chucking. Vaas is certainly the likelier of the two to have a suspect action, but let's not go there again.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
If he manages to last till the age of 28 with that action, i'd be extremely amazed.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah his action looks extremely rough on the back too...Tait might feel fine right now, but its guaranteed that when his body starts to age, he's not going to be able to last with his current action.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Tim said:
If he manages to last till the age of 28 with that action, i'd be extremely amazed.
As far as SriLankan cricket's interests are concerned , as long as this guy can bowl for 3-4 years thats enough.

There are plenty of school boys coming through who are capable of bowling extremely fast with similar action as well as the standard action.

It will not be difficult to find others to fill a similar void in due course.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah but what about the poor guys career!? 3 or 4 years would be far too short if I made it to international level.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Tim said:
Yeah but what about the poor guys career!? 3 or 4 years would be far too short if I made it to international level.
The best option is to preserve him for Test Matches only and save him for as long as possible. The bowling coach, physios etc will no doubt be working on his fitness and other ways to reduce stress on his back.

When he feels he cannot continue to bowl the way he is ATM, he will learn to modify it . But until then, its best he continues as he is.

I only hope he doesn't have a very short career like Shane Bond and end up eternally trying to get to fitness again.

SL ATM has Nuwan Zoysa, Dilhara Fernando and Prabath Nissanka all still recovering from varying injuries , although Fernando IIRC was the only who had bach problems in the past .

telsor

U19 12th Man
I'm working from memory here, but I recall hearing that Jeff Thomsons actions was a biomechanisists (sp?) dream because while it requires considerable strength, it's actually less likely to cause serious injury.

Barring genuine accidents ( like running into other players ), Thommo had a relatively long and injury free career.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
telsor said:
I'm working from memory here, but I recall hearing that Jeff Thomsons actions was a biomechanisists (sp?) dream because while it requires considerable strength, it's actually less likely to cause serious injury.

Barring genuine accidents ( like running into other players ), Thommo had a relatively long and injury free career.
Word!

I have the Kings of Speed video, very good. :)

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
telsor said:

That depends. I think Thommo's action was pretty rough on his shoulder, but easier on some other parts of his body. Tait is in line for serious back problems however, I think. It's actually hard to tell though, some bowlers with very smooth actions like Watson have constant problems, and some guys are all over the place and might play 100 tests.

shaka

International Regular
IMHO i dont think Malinga chucks the ball, but it just looks weird and dodgy

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, I don't think he chucks it either. It's possible that he does, but he bowls with a slinging sort of action and that kind of action usually requires a straight arm.

Claiming that Malinga is an obvious chucker just shows a lack of understanding about what actually constitutes chucking.