• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Top Batsmen in World Cricket today

twctopcat

International Regular
aussie said:
ahhhhhhh that sad, how come tendulkar aint one of ur favourites?
Just on current form he doesn't seem like his old self (apart from Bangladesh etc i know).

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
aussie

twctopcat said:
Just on current form he doesn't seem like his old self (apart from Bangladesh etc i know).
yeah well thats fair enough, sachin's form hasn't been all that hot in the last year or so hasn't it.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
aussie

but for me in that group of players their that i listed i think other than lara gilchrist has played some of the best knocks i've ever seen under pressure consistently when australia have been in a whole or when it just time nail an opposition to the wall, namely his 121 in mumbai in 2001, 204 in Jo' Burg in 2002, his superb 149 not out againts pakistan in only his second test and quite recently his hundred in christchurch and if u look at tall his 14 test hundreds most if not all have been important hundreds

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Brian Lara
Rahul Dravid
Ricky Ponting
Jaques Kallis
Sachin Tendulkar
Damien Martyn
Justin Langer
Inzamam-Ul-Haq
Matthew Hayden
VVS Laxman

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
aussie

FaaipDeOiad said:
Brian Lara
Rahul Dravid
Ricky Ponting
Jaques Kallis
Sachin Tendulkar
Damien Martyn
Justin Langer
Inzamam-Ul-Haq
Matthew Hayden
VVS Laxman
well laxman and langer are debatable because langer form one hasn't made runs in every condition, he only has one century in about 19 test in the sub-continet while laxman even though he has one of the best records againts the aussie to me he has a weakness that i saw since india's tour of australia in 1999 (balls coming into him) which australia exploited tot he max in india last november, but he is a good batsman but i wont put him the top ten

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
aussie said:
well i dont think this kiwi fan has taken that post very kindly
Well, having the worst batsman in the world (Martin) is the only 'record' we've got!!

It's suprising to find out that one can be an even worse batsman than the walking wicket.

Duncan

U19 Debutant
FaaipDeOiad said:
Brian Lara
Rahul Dravid
Ricky Ponting
Jaques Kallis
Sachin Tendulkar
Damien Martyn
Justin Langer
Inzamam-Ul-Haq
Matthew Hayden
VVS Laxman
Sehwag is way better then Laxman.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
aussie

well mate i think sehwag is better than VVS. But tell me why u think VVS is better than sehwag then i'll tell u y i think sehwag is better

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
aussie said:
well mate i think sehwag is better than VVS. But tell me why u think VVS is better than sehwag then i'll tell u y i think sehwag is better
Sehwag is a quality batsman, but I wouldn't exactly back him to bat for his team if they were down and under pressure. He's played one innings like that in my memory, but his tendancy to play risky shots and give chances isn't worth quite so much when you aren't simply trying to pile on the runs. Laxman has the ability to take apart the best bowling attacks with devastating aggression without throwing his wicket away, even if he lacks consistency to some degree.

Blaze

Banned
BlackCap_Fan said:
Well, having the worst batsman in the world (Martin) is the only 'record' we've got!!

It's suprising to find out that one can be an even worse batsman than the walking wicket.
Fastest double century in tests- Nathen Astle

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
aussie

FaaipDeOiad said:
Sehwag is a quality batsman, but I wouldn't exactly back him to bat for his team if they were down and under pressure. He's played one innings like that in my memory, but his tendancy to play risky shots and give chances isn't worth quite so much when you aren't simply trying to pile on the runs. Laxman has the ability to take apart the best bowling attacks with devastating aggression without throwing his wicket away, even if he lacks consistency to some degree.
good post mate, good post :thumbsup:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
This is VVS's first real big slump in form since 2001, and since every batter goes through this at some stage, we have to cut him some slack and give him time and see how he responds. At the moment, though, it is obvious Sehwag is the best of the Indian batters, followed closely by Dravid. Overall, I rate Lara as the best I have seen and I have followed cricket seriously only since 91/92 world cup. Other guys in my list would be Sachin, Ponting, Martyn (I juz love watching him), Kallis, Inzy, Strauss (even though he has not been tested yet).......

Scallywag

Banned
Cant think of another batsman that has such a devastating effect on the opposition as Gilchrist, not to mention the amount of games he has won with his batting. First pick for me in any team.

tooextracool

International Coach
sehwag
martyn
dravid
ponting
gilchrist
kallis
lara
katich
strauss
thorpe
ive left tendulkar out because i dont think hes anywhere near as good as he used to be, and i really doubt that he will be again. ive left inzy out cause i think hes overrated, but did come extremely close to making that list.