• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best delivery?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Thanks, mate :). But I still wanna know which match, because I want to know if it happened during the 97 tour to Pak by WI, when Lara was admittedly playing only with half his commitment, due to differences about captaincy and also being tired with too much attention due to cricket.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Deja moo said:
yes, thats the one. I've seen that clip before. That is the best delivery ever.
19,909 overs bowled in test matches, plus thousands more in ODI's and we can decide ONE DELIVERY that is THE best out of more than a quarter million deliveries !

WOW !!

Well done :laugh:

Deja moo

International Captain
SJS said:
19,909 overs bowled in test matches, plus thousands more in ODI's and we can decide ONE DELIVERY that is THE best out of more than a quarter million deliveries !

WOW !!

Well done :laugh:
For me, off all those I've watched, that is the best. My usage of the phrase"best ever" is more reflective of the degree of my preference for that delivery over the others than a literal expression of fact.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Beleg said:
I don't think HB that it is from the 1997/98 series. Looks more 1993'ish to me.
That makes it all the more awesome. To beat Lara in his 93 form would have taken some doing. Well done, Waqar.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Deja moo said:
For me, off all those I've watched, that is the best. My usage of the phrase"best ever" is more reflective of the degree of my preference for that delivery over the others than a literal expression of fact.
I was just kidding. I know exactly what you mean.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Ive definately seen Wasim Akram produce a number of unbelievable deliveries but maybe because he's not a NZ'lander I don't remember them as much as I would.

I'd agree that Bond's yorker on Gilchrist was awesome though.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
There's lots. Warne to Gatting and then later on to Chanderpaul in Sydney spring to mind. Pathan bowled a brilliant yorker to Langer in 2004, and indeed James Anderson bowled an absolutely magnificent inswinger during the 2003 world cup at some point that really sticks in my mind.

Deja moo

International Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
There's lots. Warne to Gatting and then later on to Chanderpaul in Sydney spring to mind. Pathan bowled a brilliant yorker to Langer in 2004, and indeed James Anderson bowled an absolutely magnificent inswinger during the 2003 world cup at some point that really sticks in my mind.
I think you are referring to the one that bowled Gilchrist.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Richard said:
Possibly this thread has been interpreted more as best delivery that has been most enjoyed - it's not escaped my notice that most have been a hugely significant ball, often by a great bowler to a great batsman.
Personally I've bowled a way better ball myself than any I've seen on TV - pitched about 3 feet outside leg (from over-the-wicket, to a right-hander - I am a right-arm seamer) and next I knew it had clipped the top of off.
No-one else realised what had happened, but me and the wicketkeeper just looked at each other, quite lost for words. How on Earth such a mediocre bowler ever bowled such a ball is totally beyond me - obviously it hit something odd on the pitch - but no other ball comes close. I am not blowing my own trumpet here, I am as baffled as anyone would be having watched it from behind.
As for all the brilliant deliveries bowled in international cricket, there are plenty and plenty, none of which can reasonably be divided - balls that move twice, in opposite directions, are clearly atop the tree but once you get them all, you really can't say one was better.
i believe you rich. honestly, i do =)

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
no joke here, but one of the best ive seen is from natty B. i believe it was the first ball of the game to sehwag it swung it and hit him plum in front. nothing sehwag could do.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Richard said:
Possibly this thread has been interpreted more as best delivery that has been most enjoyed - it's not escaped my notice that most have been a hugely significant ball, often by a great bowler to a great batsman.
Personally I've bowled a way better ball myself than any I've seen on TV - pitched about 3 feet outside leg (from over-the-wicket, to a right-hander - I am a right-arm seamer) and next I knew it had clipped the top of off.
No-one else realised what had happened, but me and the wicketkeeper just looked at each other, quite lost for words. How on Earth such a mediocre bowler ever bowled such a ball is totally beyond me - obviously it hit something odd on the pitch - but no other ball comes close. I am not blowing my own trumpet here, I am as baffled as anyone would be having watched it from behind.
As for all the brilliant deliveries bowled in international cricket, there are plenty and plenty, none of which can reasonably be divided - balls that move twice, in opposite directions, are clearly atop the tree but once you get them all, you really can't say one was better.
You are sure your incredible delivery wasnt helped by the pitch? Then it wouldnt be such a great delivery would it. Kumble has bowled so many unplayable ones in India but they arent exactly great deliveries though they are unplayable.

A Great one would be one which was unplayable yet helped very little by the pitch and showed the mastery of the bowler more than most things for me.