• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best ODI ever ?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Beleg said:
And for most of his carrier that average remained below 20, which is truly astonishing.

And he didn't do it all against the minnows either. His average against Aus was an extremely respectable 23.3 with a strike-rate of 32 and economy rate of 4.24. And against the supposedly best players of spin-bolwing [India] he possesses a strike-rate of 32, average of 24 and economy of 4.5.
The only team that was able to foil him continously was South-Africa, against whom he has an average of 36 and a strike-rate of 45.

In all of this, what is most amazing is his strike-rate [30.4], which for a spinner is unequalled.

[Murali has an average of 22.13 and a strike-rate of 35.1, E.R below 4 while Warne averages 25.82 striking every 36.4 balls with similar economies [+.04 for Warne] and Kumble averages 30, E.C of 4.27 and strike-rate of 43]

Compare this with strike-rates of some leading bolwers:

Wasim: 36.2 E.R: Under 4
McGrath:
Shoaib: 29.8 E.R: 4.57
Younis: 30.5 E.R : 4.68
Ambrose: 41.5 E.R: 3.48
Lee: 28.4 E.R 4.73
Donald: 31.4 E.R 4.15 [He has the exact same average as Saqlain correct to three significant figures]
Saqlain: 30.4 E.R 4.29
Marshall: 45.7 E.R 3.53
Gough: 35.4 E.R 4.30
Hadlee: 39.1 E.R 3.30
Saqlain was something quite unique in the modern ODI-game. And hopefully he still is, but we've seen injury destroy careers before - especially knees.
He had everything - accuracy, Doosra, loop, drift - on a turning pitch unplayable, on a non-turner still a big handful.

Beleg

International Regular
Though it galls me to admit it, I personally think he is finished. At least his prime years are over.

PAKMAN

State 12th Man
i cant remember when but pakistan against westindies abdul qadir 10 of the last threee balls and winning the match,
and pakistan srilanka wen abdulrazzaq bowled the last man out 4 a tie ,
aus s africa semi wen klusner almost won it 4 them ,
does anyone remember miandads six of the last ball in sharjah against india ?

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
Hmm...

The VB series (2001/02), first match, Australia vs NZ. NZ get 8 for 199, and the Aussies are 1-63 after 8 overs. NZ come back to bowl them out for 175.

The same VB series, NZ against South Africa. South Africa make 241, NZ slump to 5-98. Chris Cairns hits an amazing century off 99 balls, to win the match for NZ. What a great match.

Also, the afforementioned world cup match, NZ vs South Africa.

Yeah.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Best ODI ever - IMO it's tough for a game of only 100 overs, no matter how many twists and turns, to be better than one that's ebbed and flowed over 450 overs or so.
And even though there's no doubt in my mind it was the best ODI ever there are plenty (most of those discussed on here I've seen) which are worthy runners-up.

Link

State Vice-Captain
Talking about good ODI's or just runners up. Especially for the English fans, how about the Eng/Aus match in the 04 cahmpions trophy. Vaughan played a blinder, Tresco got some retribution against McGrath and Harmison and Struass showed the Assuies what they are about. Good one

Craig

World Traveller
Beleg said:
And for most of his carrier that average remained below 20, which is truly astonishing.

And he didn't do it all against the minnows either. His average against Aus was an extremely respectable 23.3 with a strike-rate of 32 and economy rate of 4.24. And against the supposedly best players of spin-bolwing [India] he possesses a strike-rate of 32, average of 24 and economy of 4.5.
The only team that was able to foil him continously was South-Africa, against whom he has an average of 36 and a strike-rate of 45.

In all of this, what is most amazing is his strike-rate [30.4], which for a spinner is unequalled.

[Murali has an average of 22.13 and a strike-rate of 35.1, E.R below 4 while Warne averages 25.82 striking every 36.4 balls with similar economies [+.04 for Warne] and Kumble averages 30, E.C of 4.27 and strike-rate of 43]

Compare this with strike-rates of some leading bolwers:

Wasim: 36.2 E.R: Under 4
McGrath:
Shoaib: 29.8 E.R: 4.57
Younis: 30.5 E.R : 4.68
Ambrose: 41.5 E.R: 3.48
Lee: 28.4 E.R 4.73
Donald: 31.4 E.R 4.15 [He has the exact same average as Saqlain correct to three significant figures]
Saqlain: 30.4 E.R 4.29
Marshall: 45.7 E.R 3.53
Gough: 35.4 E.R 4.30
Hadlee: 39.1 E.R 3.30
How old was he when made his ODI debut?

Surely his goal is to get back into form as well as being fit again, get back into the Pakistani ODI team and look for 300 ODI wickets.

Who knows maybe not?

Deja moo

International Captain
Beleg said:
Though it galls me to admit it, I personally think he is finished. At least his prime years are over.
It has less to do with his prime years being past him (hes only 28, spinners mature with age), and more to do with him overusing the doosra, and losing his normal off spinning ability in the process.

amit_s

Banned
best odi ever -

ind v pak, final of the independence cup in dhaka 1998, pak, made 314 and ind created history by chasing 316 and winning the match.

ind v pak, 1st match in karachi earlier this year, pak nearly lost the match by 5 runs after a superb effort when they made 344 chasing inds 349.

for bowling fans,

ind v pak, some match in rothmans cup 1986, when ind bowled pak for 87 after ind made 127 themselves.

1983 wc final, ind v wi, when ind won the wc bowling wi out for 140 after ind made 183.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
the best ive seen in my life time would have to be the australia vs south africa in the world cup semi finals. ill never forget seeing that runout at the end.

Unattainableguy

State 12th Man
3 more comes to my mind..2 in Asia Cup: Pak vs Ind in which Pakistan made 300 and then India 241. But it was the bonus point system which made the match more interesting. Pakistan had to win by 60 runs in order to prevent India from obtaining the bonus point and this would have allowed Pakistan to go into the final( I think It wouldn't have made any difference even if India had won the next game against Sri Lanka with the bonus point) And Tendulkar played with patience because he sort of knew it would be hard to win and he just wanted India to get one bonus point. At the end, it was Irfan Pathan who made 38 from 75 ( I hated Shoaib for dropping his catch)..They still would have won when India needed 2 runs from the last 2 balls to get that one point, but Moin couldn't hit the stumps twice when Sami beat the batsmen. :furious: He should have just started to run towards the stumps when he caught the ball and threw the ball when he was somewhere near...

And second one when India played Sri Lanka the next match. They needed to win in order to go in the finals or it would be Pakistan vs Sri Lanka playing the final..India scored 271 and Sri Lanka 267 with Jayasuriya almost winning the match for Sri Lanka with 130 from 132 balls.... Just the last 3 overs that changed the game :@

And the one when Pakistan played Australia( don't know when; was too small at that time) Pakistan needed 6 runs to tie the match and Asif Mujtaba hit the six.............Yeahhhh! :happy:( somehow remember this)

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Link said:
Talking about good ODI's or just runners up. Especially for the English fans, how about the Eng/Aus match in the 04 cahmpions trophy. Vaughan played a blinder, Tresco got some retribution against McGrath and Harmison and Struass showed the Assuies what they are about. Good one
If Harmison showed what he was about with 10-53-1 then next year's NWS and NWC are likely to be a nasty story! (Helped by Bangladesh, of course)
The Eng-Aus game was OK, but there have been plenty better.

amit_s

Banned
the asia cup match between ind and pak is the worst odi ever. imagine a team like india not playing for a win.

since that match, ind has tremendously deteriorated in odis :@

Deja moo

International Captain
I'd say they werent 'lucky' since the bonus point was what they were after anyway. Just that Inzamam and Miandad failed to realise this till it was perhaps too late.

Sehwag309

Banned
Although not recorded or Broadcasted, I imagine it must have been some game when Kapil scored 175 v.s Zim when India were 17-5, then 78-7 and went on to make 266.

Ind/Eng Natwest Final + Ind/Pak Karachi 1st ODI were just High Blood Pressure games

Most exciting Aus/Sa, 1 run changed a teams World Cup fate