• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why Indians are under achievers????

WHY??? just why do they suxs while playing abroad.Man to man they are ten times better than poms, but why can't they match them at test level????

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The man-to-man comparison with India being ten times better is a VAST underestimation of how good individually the English players are and not to mention a vast ovverrating of how good the Indian players are.

Second, a team of champions doesn't make a champion team.

Third, from a technical perspective, most of the Indian players I saw in OZ ast time were deficient against any form of pace or seam bowling because they tended to play with angled bats and close the face of the bat too early on the ball. That's why there were an unusual aount of catches close-in and the slips catches were mainly due to their hands being too low at the point of contact.

The Indian batsmen I saw on the OZ tour had (and always have had) very good bat-speed at the point of contact but their hands are far too low. This is probably symptomatic of the slower, lower pitches in India and that many of the pace bowlers in India are swing bowlers. There are few genuine seamers where your hands must be higher at the point of contact, so lack of experience against such bowlers (Glenn McGrath and Jason Gillespie are of this ilk) shows when the pitches are even a little more bouncy. Sri Lankan players suffer from a similar technical deficiency.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I've said this time & time again that the Indian team does not have the self-belief like other countries do who lack the skill.

England & NZ are perhaps the best examples of how you can be successful at cricket without neededing the most skilled players.

Radical

Cricket Spectator
WHY??? just why do they suxs while playing abroad.Man to man they are ten times better than poms, but why can't they match them at test level????
For starters,let me say that as much as the indians are under acheivers, exactly the same, infact, more so could be said for the english team.
They have some very classy and talented players in their lineup who just falter when it most matters. So the question of the indian team being superior to the english doesn't arise.
The problem with the indian team is that they donot possess the mental toughness to come good in the face of adversity. At lords they were just the old tame sacrificial lambs lead easily to the altar by the english, there was just not enough strength of character evident to go against all odds. In short they lack resilience, which is an aspect that gives teams like aus,pak and sa just the edge over the rest.

"The Indian batsmen I saw on the OZ tour had (and always have had) very good bat-speed at the point of contact but their hands are far too low. This is probably symptomatic of the slower, lower pitches in India and that many of the pace bowlers in India are swing bowlers. There are few genuine seamers where your hands must be higher at the point of contact, so lack of experience against such bowlers (Glenn McGrath and Jason Gillespie are of this ilk) shows when the pitches are even a little more bouncy. Sri Lankan players suffer from a similar technical deficiency"
While this may hold true on hard and boucny tracks, it cannot possibly justify their poor showing in english conditions, by the way, the pakistani batsmen too struggle initially when they have to cope with such bounce and pace.
"England & NZ are perhaps the best examples of how you can be successful at cricket without neededing the most skilled players"
yes thats true cant help but think that SA may also come in the same bracket, while they donot possess too many star players like Aus or Pak, they just give themselves the winning edge by being resilient and in the words of Boycott "Doing the simple things right", which i am afraid the indian team has not been doing for a very long time.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Continuing on from that NZ is definately more skilled than most countries at fielding which I believe is invaluable, if you have a good fielding side you can restrict up to 30 runs on a good day.

I think we're also beginning to see NZ develop some skillful bowlers, however the batting still needs addressing.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's a bit trite, I know, but "There's no I in TEAM ".

The England setup is now totally dedicated to the team cause. When England played the second test of the summer against Sri Lanka at Edgbaston, Corky was left out of the XI. When interviewed on TV on the Thursday evening, there were no sour grapes - he just desperately wanted the team to win, whether he was part of the side or not.

This attitude comes right from the top - not just from skipper Nasser Hussain and senior pro's like Alec Stewart but the whole setup - selectors, coaches, even the Chairman of the ECB (whoever takes over from Lord MacLaurin must maintain this attitude).

In short, England have looked around them and tried to learn from the best - this being the Australian setup.

As far as the man-to-man comparison with England, India's batsmen definitely look stronger. However, you can score 1,000 runs and it would still be no guarantee of winning a game. Usually, you have to take twenty wickets in order to win a game.

How many of India's seamers on current form would get into the England side in England? None - not even close. For that matter, if the Indian seam attack all signed for Yorkshire, none would make the first team.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
The Indian batsmen barring one or two do not have it in them to face really hostile fast bowling even at home, forget abroad. The main reason is that they are just not used to it in domestic cricket, worse, they are mostly used to a kind of inept medium pace which is at best accurate and at worst...well ordinary. There are good spinners because of which most Indians are good in that category.

The kind of medium pace we produce has a lot of do with the kind of pitches we produce. and that is the reason why we do not have quality pacers who can perform abroad. A Kapil or even a Srinath is an exception and came up inspite of the system.

We talk about individual talent, wristy players and what not. Cricket is a team game and unless the whole team plays as a unit, there can be no sustained success. This is another failing(It looks like being corrected in one dayers, but the test team is still some way from achieving that).

Therefore, instead of talking about underachieving talent, let's talk about what the team needs to do to overcome its many weaknesses and be a force in world cricket(which we are not by any yardstick).

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Some excellent points.

Maybe it's time for a groundsman or two from Australia to move to India.

jaspalsinghrana

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Watch for the Indian team in the second tests, i have a feeling they will bounce back, Indians have always been a poor starters.
I for one think that INdia have a preety good team, if they play upto their potential, they will then beat the poms!