• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Trescothick - Why can't he take his home test form abroad?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
nope trescothick has problems against bowlers that are capable of getting it upto a high pace. hes a master of hammering medium paced trundlers on flat lifeless wickets. its no coinidence that gillespie,ntini,best and edwards have dismissed him 21 times in total and that the only test he succeeded against the WI in the recent series was the one in which neither of them played in at edgbaston. i wouldnt be surprised at all if tresco failed both in SA and against australia
Trescothick has trouble with short, quick bowling, yes, but his main problem is with the ball pitched consistently just outside off or just on - torn between driving, leaving and blocking, he gets lots of outside-edges.
His only two decent periods - 2001 and 2004 - have come in home series. Otherwise, he's been either very lucky or very poor. Of course, there have been occasional good innings - the 219 v SA at The Oval, the twin 50s against India... at The Oval, and really not much besides that hasn't needed dropped catches.
Of course, the worst period of his career (2002\03-2003\04) was disguised by the presence of a Bangladesh series in it's midst.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hopefully it might get dispelled a little against Australia next summer.
But of course, there's always the chance Bangladesh will disguise the fact that it has been.

twctopcat

International Regular
Richard said:
Hopefully it might get dispelled a little against Australia next summer.
But of course, there's always the chance Bangladesh will disguise the fact that it has been.
God you exude patriotism and general cheerfulness don't you?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I don't let the fact that a player is English totally blind me to everything, no.

veeru300

Cricket Spectator
Form abroad for most players

The form of most players especially in test matches does not carry on all over the world. This has to do with the style which might be missing something. Trescothick is an aggressive player suited to normal and swinging conditions. He is not a good player of spin and seam. In one dayers he is much more successful abroad.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm not hoping he fails, I'm hoping if he plays as poorly as he mostly has done he'll fail. If he makes some improvements in his game, I'll be all too happy to see him succeed.

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
Tresco has poor footwork, pure and simple. Against an attack that can move the ball he is hopeless. The Aussies exploited this weakness last time. In the ODIs there aren't as many men in catching positions to pick up his edges which helps him.

Sehwag is another fellow who has poor footwork but the difference here is that he has an amazing eye and more often than not make the necessary adjustment. I have seen a player with as good an eye as Sehwag. Maybe Gilchrist.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The Argonaut said:
Tresco has poor footwork, pure and simple. Against an attack that can move the ball he is hopeless. The Aussies exploited this weakness last time. In the ODIs there aren't as many men in catching positions to pick up his edges which helps him.
You don't even need to move the ball, you just need to pitch it in the right areas - be it short and at the shoulders or around the off-stump area.