• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Pathan more talented than Akram was at his early phase?

masterblaster

International Captain
I shudder to think that every up and coming left arm swing bowler will be compared to Wasim Akram. Leave the comparisons alone, if I was Irfan Pathan, I'd be interested in becoming the first Irfan Pathan rather than a half successful reproduction of Wasim Akram.

tooextracool

International Coach
superkingdave said:
i'd be suprised if he is still playing international cricket in 2 years
thats an extremely bold claim, personally if he can get his pace up, he will almost definetly succeed at the international level.

wahindiawah

Banned
marc71178 said:
And herein lies the reason why he won't (apart from the fact that there'll still be the likes of Gillespie around at that time)

Too much pressure being put on him by comments like that.

Oh i didn't knew Pathan was reading our comments on cricketweb!

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
The Baconator said:
i think pathan will be a better all-rounder than akram was but he won't come close to being as good a bowler
I would agree. It does appear so.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
how are they even close to being comparable? one averages 20 with an ER of 3.7 and another averages 25 with an ER of 5, there is a major major difference between the 2.
As ususal TEC. :D

I did not mean they are equal. But at least they dont appear in different leagues all together as they do in test matches.

BTW, without, for a second claiming that Irfan is a better bowler than Akram in one dayers ( which he obviously isnt) dont you think you are looking at only two of five figures a bit selectively ? :D

tooextracool

International Coach
SJS said:
As ususal TEC. :D

I did not mean they are equal. But at least they dont appear in different leagues all together as they do in test matches.

BTW, without, for a second claiming that Irfan is a better bowler than Akram in one dayers ( which he obviously isnt) dont you think you are looking at only two of five figures a bit selectively ? :D
nope because those are the only 2 figures that count in ODIs, ER definetly counts a lot more than the average. i find it amazing how someone can even suggest that an ER of 3.7 is comparable with one of 5.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
nope because those are the only 2 figures that count in ODIs, ER definetly counts a lot more than the average. i find it amazing how someone can even suggest that an ER of 3.7 is comparable with one of 5.
Everyone is not an intellectual like you boss :D

Sehwag309

Banned
Don't bounce on me (Many get very sensitive when comparing anyone to Wasim)....would you say sorta Wasim Akraminisque in this delivery, or not at all, or just regular

EDIT: Just after posting this, heard commentators saying that Akram mentioned yesterday that he wasn't as good as pathan at 19

dunno if he meant it or it was just for amusement purpose

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
That was almost as good as Pathan's ball to dismiss Gilly in the Sydney test ;)

Sehwag 309, do you have any GIFs of Pathan's balls to dismiss Steve Waugh in his last test, since I see you have the one where he clean bowled Gilly :cool:

Sehwag309

Banned
I can ask a freind for the Video (if he has it) and can make the Gif from there

U can also check out my site for small clips EDIT: Pending James Approval

and EDIT: Pending James Approval for past rare clips

Last edited:

Ringua

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I think IP is one hell of a bowler, don't know a to why zaheer was preferred over IP in 1st test

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Ringua said:
I think IP is one hell of a bowler, don't know a to why zaheer was preferred over IP in 1st test
Because Zaheer is one of Ganguly's favourites :)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Nah I disagree. I think it was because Zaheer was actually in form after long time of being out of it, while Pathan was coming back from injury.

Either way, I'm glad to see them both in the side against SA. Even happier to see them performing well :D

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Jono said:
Nah I disagree. I think it was because Zaheer was actually in form after long time of being out of it, while Pathan was coming back from injury.

Either way, I'm glad to see them both in the side against SA. Even happier to see them performing well :D
Even Murali Kaartik was bowling very well but when it was time to drop a spinner, he had to go because Harbhajan and Kumble have better credentials. Same should have applied to Zaheer . Clearly , over the entire period since Irfan Pathan has come, he has become India's main new ball bowler.

Its the same as Kaif having to make way for Ganguly, inspite of just having got a fifty.

wahindiawah

Banned
Khalil hopes to emulate Pathan

Pakistan call up new pace pairing
Uncapped Pakistan paceman Mohammad Khalil will draw inspiration from Irfan Pathan as he looks to make an impact on his maiden tour with the national team.

Khalil was called up for Pakistan's tour of Australia, where fellow young left-armer Pathan impressed during his first series with India last year.

"If Pathan can succeed on his first tour why can't I," Khalil said before Pakistan's departure late on Sunday.

The three-Tests series gets under way in Perth on 16 December.

Khalil added: "I also have the example of Pakistani great Wasim Akram, who surprised the world by taking 10 wickets in only his second Test on his first tour in New Zealand 20 years ago."

Khalil, 22, is one of two uncapped players in Pakistan's 17-man squad for the tour which also includes a triangular one-day tournament involving the West Indies.

Right-arm seamer Mohammad Asif, 21, is the other, and both earned rave reviews from coach Bob Woolmer.

"Both are exciting, Asif looks a real good prospect and he swings the ball. Khalil is very accurate," Woolmer said.