• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 2nd Test - England v India - Keep all Discussion Here Please!

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
OK, let's get the ball rolling.

No Thorpe. The candidates are...

Key
Rampers
Bell

Anyone else?

Bowling changes required?
Possible candidates (assuming Hoggard, Jones and Flintoff are in)

White
Tudor
Corky

Anyone else?

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Who are the likely candidates? Thorpe is not an easy player to replace. I heard that Ramprakash is in good form in the county games. He also has enough international experience, so he might get the nod.

Who is "Key"?

Among the bowlers, it is really difficult to take out anyone cos none of them did much wrong in the 1st test.

White didn't take many wickets, but he bowled a good line and length and tied down the batsmen, plus contributed a useful 50 in the lower order.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Robert Key, Kent.

Currently averaging about 44 this season, he's 22 (a bit too old for some countries, but a baby in England).

Looks a very good prospect.

Supposedly bowls a twirly or two, but I haven't seen any evidence of this.

Legglancer

State Regular
Well .... England will surely win bar/weather.
India maybe superior to England in the Subcontinant but
in English conditions they will always find it hard. Even
Sri Lanka that beat India mercilessly were comprehensively
beaten By the poms eventhough it must be said that the Lankens
had to face far more harsher conditions than the Indians.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
First test v Sri Lanka was also at Lords, and the wicket was remarkably similar to the one against India.

So were the atmospherics for the most part.
Remember that England selected Corky because they think that Lords is the only place that he can bowl.
DC took 3-93 in Sri Lanka's first innings of 555-8. Incidentally, these were by far the best figures of any England bowler in the innings.

It's my guess that Corky will never play for England again, because he is now regarded as the no 7 or 8 seamer in the country, dependant upon whether you rank 3 or 4 Yorkshiremen in front of him. Ah well.

It was after the first test that we started getting more 'English' conditions, under which the Sri Lankans just couldn't cope..

Rich2001

International Captain
Robert Key, Kent.

Currently averaging about 44 this season, he's 22 (a bit too old for some countries, but a baby in England).

Looks a very good prospect.

Supposedly bowls a twirly or two, but I haven't seen any evidence of this.
Thanks for the support, I thought I was the only one here backing my Kent lads

And Key bowl, I can't say I have ever seen this either but the stats say the following (frist class)

Overs 11.4
Maidens 1
Runs 40
Wickets 0
Ave -
BBI -
5 wickets 0
10 wickets 0
Strike Rate -
Econ 3.42

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
No problem, Rich - I'm sure you would stand up for Corky too.

He looked pretty good today in the game against the zoider drinkers, and I would far sooner see a genuine prospect for the future get a place in the next 3 tests (and definitely a place on the tour of Australia) than a perpetual flatterer to deceive like Mark Ramprakash.

Besides, I lived in Kent when I was a kid (Dover Grammar) and used to deliver newspapers for Les Ames a few years before that.

Rich2001

International Captain
Dover, cool I don't live that far from there and CORKY for England :D

Yeah Key was going well, was a very unluckly dismissal IMO, still not sure how he got it through his legs :(

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
The selectors will go for Ramprakash for sure. They haven't given enough opportunities in the past to cement a spot. ;) ;) ;)

It's a wonder Jones got selected at all. Whoever thought that someone would get a go on promise.

Unfortunately I can't see Key making it even though he probably deserves a go. Is there a Yorkshireman capable, Lumb maybe, just joking.

Rich2001

International Captain
Unfortunately I can't see Key making it even though he probably deserves a go. Is there a Yorkshireman capable, Lumb maybe, just joking.
Yorkshire, well if anyone I would say A.McGrath

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yup. Him or Lumb. That'd fit the plan of the selectors.

Yorkshire are a team whose bowlers can't take wickets in the championship, so all their quicks get a go for England (and do well, truth be told). Cripes, they even got Silverwood into the squad for the last test on standby. I'm now informed that Hoggard has gone up to No 5 in the world rankings. No comment.

It's only logical, I suppose, that seeing as their batsmen can't score runs in the championship, they ought to form the heart of the England batting line-up too.

I mean, they've tried Richard Dawson and he's disappeared without trace. Maybe he ought to get another go NOW (serious suggestion).

Alternatively, why not move Stewart up the order and give the gloves to Richard Blakey?

Job done. Pimms, anyone?

Andre

International Regular
Ian Ward perhaps for a recall?
Anyway, here would be my team (assuming no Caddick or Gough)
Vaughan
Butcher
Hussain
Crawley
Ramprakash/Ward/Shah
Flintoff
Stewart
Tudor
Giles
Jones
Hoggard

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Just lifted this off Ananova :

Marsh backs Key to unlock Test door

Robert Key has been backed to meet the challenge of Test cricket by Australian legend Rodney Marsh.

The 23-year-old Key could replace Graham Thorpe in the England side, when the second Test squad is announced on Sunday.

And England's academy director Marsh believes Key has the temperament for the international stage.

Marsh viewed Key at first hand throughout the Adelaide-based camp in the winter as the Kent opener piled up some useful scores.

"I rate Robert as a bloke,and a player," said Marsh. "Technically I think he is very well equipped.

"I don't know if he has got enough runs this season, that is for the selectors and not me to decide.

"But I am sure if he is chosen he will give it his best, he is a great character.

"He never backs away from a confrontation and I really like that about him, he's prepared to back himself and that's half the battle.

"He has worked pretty hard on his game over the past couple of years and whether he is ready for Test level remains to be seen - but he will give a good account of himself."

Part of the graft Key has put in has been to lose weight and he had shed the majority of his bulk when he returned from Australia earlier this year.

"From what I understand Robert has worked particularly hard over the past couple of years on his fitness and there has been a hell of a difference," said Marsh.

"He still has a little way to go in some areas like his flexibility and his throwing.

"He is not the worst in the field but he has not got that bullet arm at the moment and that is something he needs to work on."

Key, Ian Bell, Mark Ramprakash and David Fulton are all battling for the batting slot vacated by Thorpe, who is taking a break from the game.

Bell has struggled this summer, while Ramprakash averages a touch below 60. Fulton - Key's opening partner at Kent - has been out recently with a chipped bone in his finger and only returned to action.

It is a possibility that both Key and Ramprakash could be named in the party for Nottingham in case Mark Butcher suffers any further reaction to his injured left knee.

Possible squad: N Hussain (Essex, capt), MP Vaughan (Yorkshire), RWT Key (Kent), MA Butcher (Surrey), JP Crawley (Hampshire), AJ Stewart (Surrey, wkt), A Flintoff (Lancashire), C White (Yorkshire), AF Giles (Warwickshire), SP Jones (Glamorgan), MJ Hoggard (Yorkshire), DG Cork (Derbyshire).

Looks like Rod agrees with LuckyEddie and Rich - which makes it a near certainty that Rampers will get the nod. :D

Rich2001

International Captain
LOL probley mate

Also at the last time I looked (about a week and a half ago) Key had scored 886 runs in the 4 day game, which makes him one of the top scorers in the country, I believe that only Lehmman & Hussey have topped the 1,000 mark so far.

Rich2001

International Captain
Also England will be able to play two new players for this tests because isn't M.Butcher also in doubt because of his keen playing up again?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
England squad:

Nasser Hussain (capt)
Michael Vaughan
Robert Key
Mark Butcher
John Crawley
Alec Stewart
Andrew Flintoff
Craig White
Dominic Cork
Ashley Giles
Stephen Harmison
Matthew Hoggard
Alex Tudor

Key got the call then.
I presume that Harmison is in as cover for Alex Tudor, and that Corky may get the nod over White this time.

Just looked up Harmison's record this season. Can someone tell me why he has only played 4 games?
Overs Mdns Runs Wkts Ave Best
108.1 23 384 11 34.90 3-54

[Edited on 8/4/02 by luckyeddie]

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Craig White had a 'fourfer' today in the C&G semi-final. Later, he tonked a ton.

On that kind of form, he's certain to be dropped from the test team.

Rich2001

International Captain
England squad:

Nasser Hussain (capt)
Michael Vaughan
Robert Key
Mark Butcher
John Crawley
Alec Stewart
Andrew Flintoff
Craig White
Dominic Cork
Ashley Giles
Stephen Harmison
Matthew Hoggard
Alex Tudor

Key got the call then.
I presume that Harmison is in as cover for Alex Tudor, and that Corky may get the nod over White this time.
Well Iam happy that Key made the squad and if reports are true he will certianly get his first cap (of many, I hope) Becoming Michael Vaughan's new opening partner, with Mark Butcher dropping to his more custom number 3 slot.

Bowling wise I guess S.Harmison will miss out unless A.Tudor's injury plays up again, with either C.White or D.Cork missing out as well.

Just looked up Harmison's record this season. Can someone tell me why he has only played 4 games?
I am guessing injury is the answer there

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yes, I think that injury is the cause.

If White gets the nod, no argument from me - he took 4 wickets and scored a ton today (although if Corky's released, I hope it's early - Derbyshire have a match starting on Wednesday).

If anyone's going to the test, send me a U2U.