• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in South Africa Thread

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Jones selected ahead of Anderson for warm up match - team almost certainly to start the first test i would have thought.

Tresco
Strauss
Butcher
Vaughan
Thorpe
Flintoff
G Jones
Giles
Hoggard
S Jones
Harmison

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I hope and pray that Butcher gets runs.
In fact, come to think of it, I hope and pray that all the batsmen get runs, and all the bowlers bowl economically, and get through a few overs.

Steulen

International Regular
Sensible team. In a 5-Test Series, I think a cautious approach is called for in the first Test, to get a good look at your opponents. Both Key and Anderson are less predictable and thus less suited to the opening salvo of the series. The near-certainty of a Butcher 40 and a Jones 2/60 is preferable to "duck or ton" Key and "pfeiffer or ton for none" Anderson.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm not so sure about the Jones 2\60 - 18-102-0 is perfectly possible given past precedent...

Steulen

International Regular
Richard said:
I'm not so sure about the Jones 2\60 - 18-102-0 is perfectly possible given past precedent...
I think the risk for such figures is greater when Anderson plays.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well, yes, but playing Jones does not come anywhere near to providing immunity as might be assumed from your post.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
The English fans are very optimistc of beating the Proteas based on convincing wins over the Windies and the Kiwis. They were good wins no doubt and there is every reason to feel optimistic.

But remember how comfortably South Africa beat the Windies the last time they toured South Africa.

South Africa will win the series. The sooth sayer says so...

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Richard said:
We might have thought Fidel Edwards would love them, too, remember...
Though I know you're very much aware of it, Fidel Edwards is a totally different case. Not only was he far less experienced, but he also didn't have two established form bowlers (Harmison and Flintoff) charging in ahead of him. He was the one doing the charging... from his 4th or 5th FC match.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yes, very true - I wasn't attempting to criticise Edwards overtly.
My point was that I don't think we can make the assumption that the pitches will suit bowler X.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Richard said:
:wacko: Idiot, I totally forgot to mention him!
Andre Nel should go straight back into the side IMO - a much better Test bowler than Ntini for me, and certainly a better bet than Boje on a typical South African pitch - but not until he's played a few First-Class games and ideally got good sets of figures.
I'm pretty sure the reason for his non-selection recently has been solely injury - he was dropped (and not without good reason) at one point, but hopefully that was just a blip.
His domestic season so far, incidentally, has consisted of 2 good one-day games and one shocker (9 overs for 57).
Add to this: today's game, 9-63-1.
:(
Looks like he's still got a little way to go yet.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Well a poor start to the FC game, all the batsmen who didn't go to Zimbabwe failed, Strauss got a 50. Langeveldt 4-28.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Code:
36.2 Morkel to Vaughan, OUT: Tried to drive, got the edge, the swing
        beat him, safe hands by Puttick, not gonna drop that at 1st slip.
Vaughan goes for 26

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
superkingdave said:
Well a poor start to the FC game, all the batsmen who didn't go to Zimbabwe failed, Strauss got a 50. Langeveldt 4-28.
I don't know a thing about Langeveldt - is he a contender for a test spot?

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Not in the squad, and to me he seems a little hard done by.

Was far from awful in the one day format in recent times, and has proved against what I would call a full strength England side he can bowl in the four day game.

Deserved a spot methinks.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Also something I posted somewhere else, but can't be bothered rewriting.

1st Test squad: Graeme Smith (capt), AB de Villiers, Andrew Hall, Jacques Rudolph, Jacques Kallis, Hashim Amla, Boeta Dippenaar, Zander de Bruyn, Shaun Pollock, Nicky Boje, Thami Tsolekile (wk), Dale Steyn, Makhaya Ntini
I still do not know why they would omit Gibbs and Boucher. It is stupidity. It is obvious that Tsolekile can't bat aswell as Boucher, and frankly is a below average gloveman.

And as good as Andrew Hall played against India, I still don't see him performing up to the required consistancy as an opener. And we all know how well Gibbs has played against England in the past.

My lineup with that squad would be...

G Smith
A Hall
J Rudolph
J Kallis
Z de Bruyn
H Amla (this guy will be star, regardless how stupid he looks)
H Dipenaar
S Pollock
T Tsolekile
N Boje
M Ntini

I'd put de Villiers as 12th man.

Not as light on in the bowling options I thought, Ntini, Pollock, Boje can handle the main bowling, while de Bruyn, Kallis, Hall and Rudolph can cover other aspects of bowling.

Still would have liked to see a spin option in Paul Adams, Claude Henderson or the guy who played in the last few games (name escapes me) and also Boucher and Gibbs of course.

As for England, their team would stay the same as it hqas for a while, obviously without Key and Anderson. I still doubt Simon Jones' ability as a bowler since the injury, and don't think he will cause too many problems. Butcher, however, will add some much needed experience in there. Would love to see Harmison maybe get a bat other then 11th cause he is a big hitter when he gets onto it, much better then Hoggard to me.

I believe we will be prepared for another Trescothcick away failure as per usual.

M Trescothick
A Strauss
M Vaughan
M Butcher
G Thorpe
A Flintoff
G Jones
A Giles
S Harmison
S Jones
M Hoggard

My prediction: Just because of form and stability, this will go to England, but after that tour of England I believe South Africa are regaining that fighting spirit. Disappointing of the late finding of Zander de Bruyn cause he really showed a lot against Kumble and the likes.

But I think Harmison, Hoggard and co. will really be relentless and I think South Africa have made a mistake in selection Tsolekile as it gives makes them add another speciallist batsman because of Tsolekile's inexperience and lack of batting talent compared to someone like Dipenaar and Hashim Amla.

South Africa edge it in terms of batting talent as this is the first time in a while people like Flintoff and Trescothick have to prove themselves on foreign soil where they generally struggle. However, England are vastly superior in the bowling options, but still Giles and Harmison have to prove to be dynamic on foreign soil as they are in England. If current form is anything to go by, I predict England 2-0, but only just.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
SirBloody Idiot said:
Also something I posted somewhere else, but can't be bothered rewriting.

I still do not know why they would omit Gibbs and Boucher. It is stupidity. It is obvious that Tsolekile can't bat aswell as Boucher, and frankly is a below average gloveman.

And as good as Andrew Hall played against India, I still don't see him performing up to the required consistancy as an opener. And we all know how well Gibbs has played against England in the past.
Gibbs has an injury which is expected to take him out of the first 3 tests.
I think De Villiers is Smith's likely opening partner. Hall is more likely to play at 6, I think.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Egnland 225 and Langeveldt scalps five.

Harmison 5 overs 26/1. SA A is targetting him to shatter him apparently.

Only Strauss managed a fifty.

Hopefully this is a sign of things to come..